Old 03-25-2019, 08:36 PM   #1

City: Oxford, MD
Vessel Name: Boundless
Vessel Model: 2013 North Pacific 43'
Need advice on best rugs

Fairly new to boating and looking for some helpful advice related to rugs/mats to be put over teak/holly flooring in the pilot house and salon of our 32 Eagle trawler. Looking for something durable, non-skid (I think) and gentle on the floor underneath. Thx in advance for your help.
Jmreim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:28 AM   #2
FF
Guru

One thing I learned is if you will be up north for a winter is to cover all the flooring with bathroom carpeting.

Cheap, trims easily and is machine washable!

Depending on the local conditions only 2 or 3 winter trips to a big laundromat will get rid of a lot of mud.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:11 AM   #3

Thx -
Old 03-26-2019, 07:35 AM   #4
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
I have an Isfahan Persian carpet in the salon. I put it over a rubber non-skid mat. It isn't cheap or easily cleaned, but it looks good.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:39 AM   #5
Guru

City: Reedville, VA
Vessel Name: Wingspan
Vessel Model: Aluminum Catamaran
I'm interested in hearing responses to this as well. In my case, I'm going to experiment with indoor/outdoor rugs over high quality foam rug pads. I'm cutting the pads a couple inches narrower and shorter than the rug themselves and stitching the edges in a few places so the pad and rug don't separate and become a trip hazard.

My goal is to have a rug that can handle getting wet occasionally and use the pads to absorb airborne noise, vibration, and provide sure footing as well as some thermal insulation. I'll let you know how my experiment goes, but I'm interested in other folks experiences also.
Bkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:32 AM   #6
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
We live with dogs, so we use oriental runners to protect the teak & holly sole. We have a piece of loose carpet that we templated and had bound for the pilothouse & saloon, and we had pieces bound for the stairs. We use Durahold pad for the runners and under the bound carpet sections. The Durahold is more expensive than other, but we learned that the cheaper stuff leaves little particles of rubber everywhere, and is more prone to sliding around. Our daughter runs a carpet cleaning co. in SF, they put us onto the Durahold, only thing they recommend. The runners can be bought in different widths, and cut to length, bound. No fringes for ours, but can be done if you like the look. We have them cleaned yearly, there's just no way to get them clean without a commercial cleaning. You can buy cheap and toss them out, or go for a nicer quality and have them cleaned.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN8386_re.jpg  

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:42 AM   #7
Guru

City: Reedville, VA
Vessel Name: Wingspan
Vessel Model: Aluminum Catamaran
Maerin - do you have your rugs stitched to the pads, or are the pads grippy enough to keep things together? I notice the small rug at the base of the stairs - those small ones are the ones I'm most worried about becoming a trip/slip hazard and would love to know how that Durahold works on your small rugs.

Thanks,
Bkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:27 AM   #8
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkay View Post
Maerin - do you have your rugs stitched to the pads, or are the pads grippy enough to keep things together? I notice the small rug at the base of the stairs - those small ones are the ones I'm most worried about becoming a trip/slip hazard and would love to know how that Durahold works on your small rugs.

Thanks,

The Durahold works better than anything we've tried. The runners/rugs just lay on the pad. The Durahold pad has a patented rubberized surface, purple in color, the top surface also has a patented non-slip design. The folks who developed it are in the oriental rug biz. Best part is it doesn't shed the rubber stuff after a year or so like the other pads do. Yes, they do move, but it's very incremental, nothing that would be a slip/trip issue. After a couple days of traffic, the rugs move a bit, but it's the whole assembly. IOW, the pad moves on the floor just a bit, the rugs stay on the pads pretty firmly. Next best thing to screws. No, the rug won't spit out from under your feet & send you on your butt!

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:39 PM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I recently bought commercial short pile. Had it cut to size, and the edges bound. $800 did the whole boat including a very odd shape for the pilothouse with a cutout for the helm chair pedestal. Very happy with the carpet and inexpensive enough that I won't complain when it's time to replace it.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:01 AM   #10
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I recently bought commercial short pile. Had it cut to size, and the edges bound. $800 did the whole boat including a very odd shape for the pilothouse with a cutout for the helm chair pedestal. Very happy with the carpet and inexpensive enough that I won't complain when it's time to replace it.

Ted

The PO of our boat did the same thing. It has worked very well and still looks great after almost a decade.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:29 AM   #11
FF
Guru

A boat that cruises in any weather might benefit from carpeting that can be taken on deck and hosed down.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:48 AM   #12
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
I have an Isfahan Persian carpet in the salon. I put it over a rubber non-skid mat. It isn't cheap or easily cleaned, but it looks good.
I have a couple of "non-flying" Persian carpets at home. I took one into be cleaned. They lay it out on concrete to wash. They get a hose and brush.... scrub scrub scrub, then rinse rinse rinse. Hang to dry. They key here is soap and water and maximum rinsing.

I had a few non-flying Persian carpets on my N46. I tried pretty much everything to keep them from non-skid. IMO, nothing worked. Just be careful and straighten them as necessary.

On my AT34, I have carpet. Great in the winter and summer. Added insulation, both sound and temp insulation.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:58 AM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
A boat that cruises in any weather might benefit from carpeting that can be taken on deck and hosed down.
Check out Corinthian boat carpet if you are looking for that kind of durability / washability.
I haven't had it myself but have talked w another boater that was washing his down... set in sun to dry and replace.
Many different styles and backings available including a very nice looking teak & holly. It woven vs pile and usable on decks that get wet occasionally. No affiliation but I was impressed. Haven't priced it but guessing its pricey.... appeared very well made and durable
https://corinthianmarine.com
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:52 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Ruggable

https://ruggable.com/

It has a non-skid backing that is removable, allowing you to wash in a front-loading washing machine.

Once laid out with the backing, the rug DOES NOT MOVE.

We put one in the main salon and have had it there for a season. I highly recommend them.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:55 AM   #15
Guru

City: LI or Fla
Bought large area rug from Lowes, then cut some portions to fit and had those area's rebound, very cheap and looks great
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:14 AM   #16

Having samples form Corinthian sent. This seems to check all the boxes for us - thx again for the recommendation.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Baltimore, Maryland
Vessel Name: Star Chaser
Vessel Model: 1982 Carver 3607
JMReim,

I'm in the process of ripping all of the Wall to Wall out! WtW holds the damp and helps keep the musty mildew smell if the boat is not being actively lived in. It also hid some rot under the aft cabin cabinetry. I'll be installing hard wood floors throughout (Maple, & Walnut trim) with smaller area rugs that can be rolled up and removed.

John.
StarChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:36 PM   #18

City: Punta Gorda
I used non-slip rugs in our sunny pilot house and on the back deck. I found that they stuck to the floor. It was a mess getting the residue off. I would not recommend them for long periods of time.
amapola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:49 PM   #19
Guru

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Mine was to cover up very old original carpeting but I suspect it would work well over wood. Very durable and can be washed outside. Not cheap but looks great and has foam backing. Should look good 10 years from now. Infinity Luxury woven vinyl flooring from Sailrite.
READY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:03 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmreim View Post
Having samples form Corinthian sent. This seems to check all the boxes for us - thx again for the recommendation.
It looks like Corinthian does either Snap-In, or Glue-Down. Which are you opting for?
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote