Necessary tools

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Divealot

Veteran Member
About to start up the inside passage next spring from Washington to Whittier, AK in my 32’ Nordic Tug. This will be a long trip since we plan to explore the many side trips the route has to offer. The amount of tools I have accumulated is probably ridiculous and is taking up way too much space.

I know there will be some sarcastic comments but I would really appreciate some honest opinions on what are tools one should not leave home without.

Spot Messenger or similar satellite device.

If you intend to explore the BC mainland inlets you’ll be out of radio contact, and depending how far in you go, you might not see another boat for a week or more.

Beyond all the obvious hand tools, I carry battery-powered tools....drill, impact driver, sawzall, saber saw, right-angle drill, oscillating tool. Mine happen to be Milwaukee with lithium batteries which are powerful and stay charged a long time. The charger runs off the inverter when we are underway.

Last edited:
Understood, and to that point we will be traveling accompanied by another boat for most of the isolated excursions. Our dinghy also has a 15hp Honda and 12 gal fuel in which we can carry our handheld radio, PLB and In-Reach.

Greetings,
Mr. D. There is already a thread, somewhere on this site, that mentions a tool list. MANY posts to go through but it may give you some ideas.

There is also a thread listing owners most often used tools. With a touch of humor included

pete

Tools go hand in hand with spare parts. Nordic has some space limitations compared to larger typical trawlers. Maybe address the Nordic forum for like kind opinions. I think that extra medication, food and water are also crucial when in a location that may take help a whole day to arrive.(I realize you have a cruising partner boat in this case) Gaskets, sealants, clamps, hoses, filters, belts. Fully test batteries(each cell) before embarking. A full amount of replacement fluids in case of complete loss.

I searched beforehand but may look again. Sorry I bothered. I will try the Nordic forum or just wing it.

Thanks again
Over and out

Whatever tools you have onboard will be one tool short of what is needed when you are somewhere tools are impossible to get, so take what you think is best and just go.

Swiss Army knife. I use it every day.

Today, used the pointy end of the corkscrew to open up the trimmed end of a large hypodermic that I used to fill small cracks with goo.

Beyond all the obvious hand tools, I carry battery-powered tools....drill, impact driver, sawzall, saber saw, right-angle drill, oscillating tool. Mine happen to be Milwaukee with lithium batteries which are powerful and stay charged a long time. The charger runs off the inverter when we are underway.

Ken, there is a big difference in the amount of storage space for tools in your boat vs a 32’ Nordic Tug. While those are great tools to have, some I don’t even have in my garage, let alone on my boat.

Rather than cataloging tools, I'd take the approach of items with higher failure/repair rates or high nuisance and make sure you have the tools (and spares) to repair.

Electrical connections
Plumbing/hose (including a pick to pull away a hose)
Proper sized wrench and pick for stuffing box
Any special tools for head rebuild
Shower valve (real nuisance if they start leaking)
Canvas tools (snaps, etc)
Tee handle wrench with flex shaft for hose Clamps.

Look around your boat for weird stuff and make sure you've got the tool to fix. It's the small stuff that will drive you crazy. Head rebuild. Clogged valve. Oddball something-or-other with hex head screws or small screws holding it down, etc.

Sounds like a good trip. Send pics.

Peter

Duct tape. Seriously!

If traveling in a remote area, I would be thinking about engine parts that if broken would leave me stranded. Things like starter motor, lift pump, circulating pump, raw water pump, etc., then think about what tools you will needed to repair. In addition, as previously mentioned, rebuild kits for toilets and pumps as well as selection on electrical connectors, crimper and wire.

If traveling in a remote area, I would be thinking about engine parts that if broken would leave me stranded. Things like starter motor, lift pump, circulating pump, raw water pump, etc., then think about what tools you will needed to repair. In addition, as previously mentioned, rebuild kits for toilets and pumps as well as selection on electrical connectors, crimper and wire.
Agreed. OP was asking about tools though. My thinking is some things require specialized or modified tools. For example, hydraulic pump for my stabilizer requires 9/16" open end wrench that is thin. I have one that I've shaved down for the purpose. Stuffing boxes have either a giant gland nut and lock nut, or two ears with about 9/16" double nuts. Good to have a pair, though a Cresent wrench or channel lock will do too.

Actually there are special tools that are sometimes needed yet most of us will not find out about untill such time as they are needed.

If the OP is still present then take a good hard look at what you have and if storage is really a problem then ask yourself which tools do you use frequently and which only once every few years.

My boat is similar in size to yours at 32' also. I carry a set of 1/4, 3/8 and some 1/2 drives along with deep sockets and extra extensions for each.
The usual combination wrenches, a butane soldering iron, crimpers and cutters for electrical repairs, Vise grips, pliers of several different types, adjustable wrenches, filter wrenches for my filters, hacksaw & blades, a folding drywall saw with blades for cutting rope wound around the prop, large selection of screwdrivers, small 18" prybar, DMM, clamp DC ammeter, battery oper. drill both 18V & my old 7V , 150W inverter to recharge the drills, Full set of inch drill bits to 1/2", various files, Allen key sets, small selection of metric sockets and wrenches to suit the lack of metric stuff aboard, 2 pipe wrenches, 2 packing nut wrenches, .

I know I have forgotten a lot of stuff but it all goes with me. THere are some things that get left at home normally but on the long trips I take extra stuff in addition.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom