NC Marinas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep, there you are! IMG_0200.JPG

Cool. Where are you Tom.B?

We had to stay home for nephew's graduation party. Otherwise, we would have been in the slip next to you guys.

We would have loved that Tom.B but how did you get the pic of us?

That pic is from the towndock.net website. Saw your boat there last night while having a beverage at Tiki. Try going to either Adams Creek and anchoring behind # 9 or go to South River and anchor off the cemetery. In either case you are not far from Oriental if something does not co-operate.

For a one overnight trip from New Bern it is Oriental, anchorages near Oriental, Beaufort or Moorehead City.

If you make it two days out and two or a long day back you can do Bath (free state park dock), Washington (free overnight at city dock) or Ocracoke (cheap NP dock or anchor out).

Beyond that is Edenton, Manteo and Elizabeth City, and lots of nice secluded anchorages in between.

David

Say hello to June, the morning barrista at the Bean.

David

We went in The Bean David but it was packed so we didn't stay. Hopefully next time.

I love Beaufort and Morehead City. Folks that haven't been to Morehead City in a few Years have not seen the rejuvenation. Morehead is going through a renaissance with lots of new pubs and restaurants. Really really love it there. At the yacht basin you don't have the serious tidal current as in Beaufort. I love Beaufort too.....we just have to have the right tide and wind to go. Morehead is more forgiving. And.....once down there.....anchoring at Cape Lookout or behind shakcleford banks is the grand prize!

Enjoy! Let's grab a beer someday in New Bern!

Besslb,
If we stay at the Morehead Yacht Basin, will we be able to walk to cool restaurant and bars? I like the restaurants and Lisa is fond of the bars :)

Besslb,
If we stay at the Morehead Yacht Basin, will we be able to walk to cool restaurant and bars? I like the restaurants and Lisa is fond of the bars :)

Absolutely!! Very walkable! Not this weekend with big rock ending tomorrow. We are shooting for an Oriental trip tomorrow if you want to visit again?

Absolutely!! Very walkable! Not this weekend with big rock ending tomorrow. We are shooting for an Oriental trip tomorrow if you want to visit again?

Would love to but all 4 kids are going to be here this weekend and that doesn't happen often. We were thinking about Morehead next weekend.

If you are around on a Sunday, Off The Hook has a fantastic brunch. It's the best thing they do. The Eggs Benedict with crab meat is top notch. Ask to substitute their made from scratch biscuit for the English muffin. Worth the minor upcharge.

Floyd's is right next to the Yacht Basin and has fabulous food and a great patio bar! Yellowfin is waterfront, next to the Sanitary restaurant and has awesome small plates and a great view. (Beer selection is limited but full bar). Tightlines is on Arendall street and has a decent menu, but 30 beers on tap! Ruddy Ducks is good too, but we find it's way too noisy to really enjoy.

Can't go wrong in Morehead City. Take your kayaks or SUP and paddle up towards the Newport river.

Floyd's is very good and they generally have live music on the weekends during the summer. Sanitary and Ruddy are the more touristy stops. Beach Bums has great pizza, subs, and their limited seafood menu is really good-the BANG BANG Shrimp tacos are unbeatable. Skip Sammy's. Southern Salt is pretty good. Shrimp and Grits, crab cakes, AYCE steamed jumbo shrimp and oysters (in season) are my picks there. Tight Lines has a variety of great burgers, as does Full Circle Cafe' (great pizza there too). Redfish is the "upscale" choice and the food is great. If you go to Jacks to hear a band and get the munchies, they prepare wood-fired pizza in a trailer right out front that is fantastic. The upstairs will soon be a pizza restaurant. Georgia B's and Grumpy's for traditional breakfast. Southern Salt and Off the Hook both usually have a band on Fridays and Saturdays all summer. There is a tremendous variety in a fairly compact area down there.

Thanks to everyone for the info. This is VERY helpful.

If you are around on a Sunday, Off The Hook has a fantastic brunch. It's the best thing they do. The Eggs Benedict with crab meat is top notch. Ask to substitute their made from scratch biscuit for the English muffin. Worth the minor upcharge.

Thanks for the tip on the eggs Benedict! Been looking for a good one ever since the Pollock street deli in New Bern closed!

Wifey B: I agree with most of above. My personal ratings.

Floyd's 4 stars
Ruddy Duck-4
Sanitary-2, very inconsistent. Read reviews and you'll see 5's but also 1's. I wasn't impressed
Sammy's-4
Red Fish-4
Full Circle-4

While I've only been to most of them once, it was with a table of 6 to 12 people each time and many different menu selections. I don't think any will disappoint other than Sanitary and we may have hit on a bad night but seems like others have too.

While I'd choose Morehead City first, make a future trip to Beaufort. It's an interesting town itself and many good restaurants as well.

Wifey B: I agree with most of above. My personal ratings.

Floyd's 4 stars

Ruddy Duck-4

Sanitary-2, very inconsistent. Read reviews and you'll see 5's but also 1's. I wasn't impressed

Sammy's-4

Red Fish-4

Full Circle-4

While I've only been to most of them once, it was with a table of 6 to 12 people each time and many different menu selections. I don't think any will disappoint other than Sanitary and we may have hit on a bad night but seems like others have too.

While I'd choose Morehead City first, make a future trip to Beaufort. It's an interesting town itself and many good restaurants as well.

Thanks BandB!

I think Beaufort will be next for sure. I hear docking can be challenging and tides and currents are something I haven't experienced yet. Any tips?

Thanks BandB!

I think Beaufort will be next for sure. I hear docking can be challenging and tides and currents are something I haven't experienced yet. Any tips?

Wifey B: Don't know about docking being challenging, but a bit of traffic in the area of Beaufort Docks and a little exposed. You might consider Beaufort Yacht Basin, a newer facility and a little more protected. Still only 3 blocks or so to the downtown waterfront area. :)

The dock hands at Beaufort Docks are the best. Get them a line and they will get you in if that ends up being your choice. Beaufort Docks is right in the middle of things.

The dock hands at Beaufort Docks are the best. Get them a line and they will get you in if that ends up being your choice. Beaufort Docks is right in the middle of things.

Is that where you recommend we go bilge53? To the Beaufort Docks?

It is my preference with a nice long waterfront with shops, good places to eat and great people watching. Time your arrival close to slack tide which shouldn't be a problem and docking will be a piece of cake. Of course, don't pick the windiest day and the middle of a thunderstorm. Don't ever hesitate to request help at any dock. If they won't help they don't want your business.

The Beaufort Docks are very nice for sure, however, MAKE SURE that you arrive there at slack tide... ESPECIALLY if you are new to your boat and its handling characteristics. The dockhands there are very good at their job. There is no argument with that, however, they have also been there for a long time and can get very short-tempered with people that don't listen to them or think they know better.

Yes, the dock are exposed to the traffic of Taylor's Creek, but that is part of the appeal. It's the people and boat watching that can be a huge part of the fun.

The Beaufort Docks are also very expensive and the facilities are straight out of the late 60's. Still, the location and the scenic ness, be it mega yachts or watching people on the dock, is fantastic.

The Beaufort yacht basin is still new and has a very tricky approach with lots of skinny water. I would hold off on there for now.

I still think that, because you are still getting a handle on you new boat, The Morehead City Yacht Basin is your best choice. Nothing like a 500' face dock to make an easy approach. And downtown MHC is just as wonderful as Beaufort.

The Beaufort Docks are very nice for sure, however, MAKE SURE that you arrive there at slack tide... ESPECIALLY if you are new to your boat and its handling characteristics. The dockhands there are very good at their job. There is no argument with that, however, they have also been there for a long time and can get very short-tempered with people that don't listen to them or think they know better.

Yes, the dock are exposed to the traffic of Taylor's Creek, but that is part of the appeal. It's the people and boat watching that can be a huge part of the fun.

The Beaufort Docks are also very expensive and the facilities are straight out of the late 60's. Still, the location and the scenic ness, be it mega yachts or watching people on the dock, is fantastic.

The Beaufort yacht basin is still new and has a very tricky approach with lots of skinny water. I would hold off on there for now.

I still think that, because you are still getting a handle on you new boat, The Morehead City Yacht Basin is your best choice. Nothing like a 500' face dock to make an easy approach. And downtown MHC is just as wonderful as Beaufort.

Thanks Tom. This coming weekend will be MGC then possibly Beaufort the following weekend.

Made it safely from NB to Oriental today. We are staying the night and headed back tomorrow. Where should I go next time?

Take a few days and head out to Lookout Bight via Beaufort. Most people fall in love with this place. Big anchorage, nice beaches, beautiful setting.

Going a bit farther north you can visit Little Washington too.

Eddie, my wife and I have been following you're thread for a while now. We also just purchased a boat and this thread answered a lot of our questions.

We live in Charlotte and also have a small plane. It's an RV7 which is perfect for my wife and myself, but being a 2 seater, we can't bring our 3 year old our little girl with us. So once in a while my parents will watch our daughter and we'll fly, otherwise we'll drive. That being said, our boat is currently in Charleston, SC, actually Folly Beach. We absolutely love the area and our slip is only $310/mo...really hard to beat. But we really want to do more than weekend trips. I think we will explore the Charleston area for a couple of months then start heading north towards Wilmington and maybe eventually the New Bern area. For the times we have to drive, the pretty cool thing is that we are really only 3 1/2-4 hours away from home at any time.

I think we will try to make two trips a month, one small one (2 1/2 days) and one longer (3 1/2 days). Every month or two we'll bring the boat to a new town.

We'd only be dealing with the ass pain of your car or plane being in a place that your boat isn't. I think for that, we'll either uber or rent a car or Uhaul to drive back to car, then we all go home.

Anyway, just throught I'd share our plane. Of course we've owned the boat for exactly 1 week, so we haven't put this plan to practice yet. Congrats on the new boat! Maybe we'll eventually see you guys up there.

Thanks for the post Steve! Sounds like we have a lot in common.

We too plan to cruise about twice a month for 2-3 days each time. I will learn all about the New Bern and surrounding area, you can learn all about the Charleston area, then we can share our knowledge with each other.

We hope to do like you and spend June and July around our local area which is New Bern, Oriental, Morehead City, Beaufort and Ocrakoke. Then we may head north towards the Chesapeake Bay during August. If all goes well, we would then love to start south around October and see how far we can get by December. My wife would love to spend couple long weekends every month during the winter in warmer weather.

Where do you keep your RV7?

That sounds great! We definitely need to share stories.

We keep it at KLKR, Lancaster, SC. What do you guys have?

182 at KBUY (Burlington) IMG_0014.jpg

Back
Top Bottom