Navionics IPad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has anyone used the TimeZero TZ iBoat? How does it compare to Navionics?

I like iBoat but all in all I still think Navionics is a bit more intuitive and easier to use given autoroute functionality. Personal opinion and YMMV.

I do like that iBoat slurps in AIS info from a vesper just like other devices on my wifi network...by listening to a specific IP address and TCP/UDP port.

I believe that the Vesper needs to run as an AP for Navionics to receive AIS. IF anyone knows different please correct me.

-tozz

vesper gps data to a non cellular iPad works fine. I’ve been using it for 3 years. I use the vespers WiFi. I have two iPads both hooked up to vespers WiFi. One is a 4 year old iPad the other is two years old. I run iNavX on the old one and I run navionics and aqua maps on the newer one.
INavX displays the vesper AIS data.

Last edited:
Has anyone used the TimeZero TZ iBoat? How does it compare to Navionics?

I haven't used their tablet version because its for iThings only, but we do use their PC version on the ship's laptop. Last I heard they weren't going to make one, but if they had an Android version I'd probably be all over that.

I use Time Zero on the IPad. Time Zero uses raster charts as opposed to vector charts. Great app. And I like looking at the NOAA charts. Some info below.

You don't have a choice of raster or vector? The PC version and the same engine as installed on our Furuno plotter support both...

-Chris

I use a laptop with a $45 GPS puck. I have Open CPN and Seaclear on the laptop. Both are freeware and use NOAA charts downloaded free. The 19" display is nice.

Most airlines have ditched the flight bag full of 35lbs if charts and manuals for iPads. Been nothing but reliable for 6 years now.

Probably the one single most career changing thing in my career. It improved my quality of life ten fold!!! I know you understand!!

Ignorant question and possible thread drift....

I here people talking about AIS on their iPads and using the Vesper gizmo over wifi to get it there. What exactly is involved here? Is it simply a receiver(obviously with antenna) and the iPad receives the AIS data through wifi with no wifi network needed(like the Furno wireless radar uses wifi to get radar data to iPad)? Or is a wifi network needed???

I here people talking about AIS on their iPads and using the Vesper gizmo over wifi to get it there. What exactly is involved here? Is it simply a receiver(obviously with antenna) and the iPad receives the AIS data through wifi with no wifi network needed(like the Furno wireless radar uses wifi to get radar data to iPad)? Or is a wifi network needed???

We have a Vesper XB-8000 that broadcasts its information via wifi.

I connect our iPad to the Vesper wifi, and that transmits AIS information onto Navionics. It's pretty nice to have this feature but will say that our Coastal Explorer (picking up AIS from the Vesper) shows more data than Navionics. There are missing targets on Navionics that show on Coastal Explorer.

You do not need a separate WiFi network. The vesper provides the WiFi. When you go to connect your device to WiFi. You select “Vesper”

vesper gps data to a non cellular iPad works fine. I’ve been using it for 3 years. I use the vespers WiFi. I have two iPads both hooked up to vespers WiFi. One is a 4 year old iPad the other is two years old. I run iNavX on the old one and I run navionics and aqua maps on the newer one.
INavX displays the vesper AIS data.

Thanks Reveille. When I called Vesper to ask if I can use their XB-8000's gps data on my non gps Ipad running Navionics, the person I spoke to was unsure and said "probably not" and that I have to have another GPS source. So this info is really helpful.

Thanks Reveille. When I called Vesper to ask if I can use their XB-8000's gps data on my non gps Ipad running Navionics, the person I spoke to was unsure and said "probably not" and that I have to have another GPS source. So this info is really helpful.

Here is Vespers list of compatible Apps. They list Navionics.
I like how iNavX displays the vesper AIS data. So I use it.
Whoever you talked to at vesper must have been confused.

https://www2.vespermarine.com/third-party-apps

You do not need a separate WiFi network. The vesper provides the WiFi. When you go to connect your device to WiFi. You select “Vesper”

This is true that you don't need a separate wifi network. However the vesper can be configured to be a client or a wifi AP but not both. I have multiple devices (iThings/PC/laptop with CE or Nobeltec etc) connected to a boat wifi network would rather have the vesper act as a client.

I have Coastal Explorer and TZ iBoat able to receive AIS over the boat WiFi while Navionics requires that you connect to the vesper directly per your instructions. It's not that big deal if I wanted to flip over to use AIS with Navionics but I'd rather keep things consistent and easy. :)

Just depends on your network setup and preferences.

cheers
-tozz

This is true that you don't need a separate wifi network. However the vesper can be configured to be a client or a wifi AP but not both. I have multiple devices (iThings/PC/laptop with CE or Nobeltec etc) connected to a boat wifi network would rather have the vesper act as a client.

I have Coastal Explorer and TZ iBoat able to receive AIS over the boat WiFi while Navionics requires that you connect to the vesper directly per your instructions. It's not that big deal if I wanted to flip over to use AIS with Navionics but I'd rather keep things consistent and easy. :)

Just depends on your network setup and preferences.

cheers
-tozz
My Vesper is on my Garmin Network and provides it GPS and AIS data. My Garmin chartplotter uses the GPS and displays the Vesper AIS info.
My iPad gets the GPS and AIS via the Vesper’s WiFi.

My Vesper is on my Garmin Network and provides it GPS and AIS data. My Garmin chartplotter uses the GPS and displays the Vesper AIS info.
My iPad gets the GPS and AIS via the Vesper’s WiFi.

So the Vesper is wired to the Garmin Network, I assume with NMEA 2000, and then is configured to be an access point. That's a good setup to be able to leverage the data across the systems.

Unfortunately I don't have a NMEA backbone so I only use the Vesper wifi. It's on the list!

We use a Bad Elf running Aqua Maps. Works well. The iPad we already had did not have internal GPS. Have never had an issue with it. Even saved our trip last year to the Gulf Islands when someone forgot to re-insert the SD card containing our charts into our Garmin...

I'll never do that again...:banghead:

A word of caution... Knowing where you are within a couple of meters is great.

Too bad many charts as well as changing underwater profiles aren't as accurately depicted.

Little solace to know exactly where you are when you run aground.

Up to date chart accuracy and precision positioning are closely coupled.

USB GPS connected to an IPad with Navionics

Has anyone used a USB GPS connected to an IPad with Navionics?

Yes, have a Bad Elf USB GPS, use it with Navionics running on an older model IPAD. Three years experience - works fine, no issues at all. I boat on the Puget Sound. Pete

Yes easy

Garmin Glo for $69 will add Bluetooth gps to any iPad and works seamlessly w my iPad running navionics. I’ve come to use this much more than the older built in Raymarine navigation on my 2008 boat. The iPad is higher resolution, way less expensive, easy to upgrade update and never fails me. Went up to Alaska and back last summer w this combination. OR you can just get an iPad w cellular capability which already has gps built in.

Hi,

I have a few Aple devices, I would never trust it in navigation, I really don't want to use them for anything. Preferably a Windows or android based device for navigation. Prefer a real chart plotter and paper maps

NBs

Please don’t tell aircraft pilots that. They use iPads exclusively for navigation - no paper charts.

I don’t need an external GPS with my I pad and it runs Navionics just fine solo . Now BBC an opinion.

I do however prefer I Sailor to navionics when underway.

Has anyone used a USB GPS connected to an IPad with Navionics?

I have used Bad Elf Pro with my iPad and both AquaMap and Navionics. Works just fine which is more than I can say for the built in gps on the iPad.

I use Navionics app on my iPad since I really like the auto-route dock-to-dock feature. Have I had any challenges with it? Only when the iPad over-heats in the sun. Otherwise, it has never steered us wrong. But I always have my on-board GPS plotter operational simultaneously, just in case.

Hi,

I have a few Aple devices, I would never trust it in navigation, I really don't want to use them for anything. Preferably a Windows or android based device for navigation. Prefer a real chart plotter and paper maps

NBs
I see you are in Europe. Well, get prepared. It’s coming to you too, eventually.

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/noaa-plans-to-stop-producing-traditional-paper-charts

As to Windows or Android, I too was a hard-core believer...until I got my first I-Phone.

Garmin Glo for $69 will add Bluetooth gps to any iPad and works seamlessly w my iPad running navionics. I’ve come to use this much more than the older built in Raymarine navigation on my 2008 boat. The iPad is higher resolution, way less expensive, easy to upgrade update and never fails me. Went up to Alaska and back last summer w this combination. OR you can just get an iPad w cellular capability which already has gps built in.

After reading all of this I just asked Santa for a GLO 2 from Garmin. $99 but free shipping. I'll try it with my laptop with Navionics since I already run Navionics on my cell phone. Assuming it works well I may be in the market for a used iPad.

The 12.9" iPads can be purchased used or refurb. Cheap, big screen.

Navionics

I traveled from Va. to Tennessee using my iPad more then my onboard navigation
I had both navionics and Garmin with active captain I liked Garmin better but navionics had the live view, so if I got confused on something it was like the google earth So even if you have great onboard navigation it’s great to have a couple of nav apps on an iPad I wouldn’t go anywhere far without active captain

I see you are in Europe. Well, get prepared. It’s coming to you too, eventually.

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/noaa-plans-to-stop-producing-traditional-paper-charts

As to Windows or Android, I too was a hard-core believer...until I got my first I-Phone.

Get used to vector is a bit more accurate. Raster charts in all forms are being eliminated. NOAA will focus on ENCs. Paper charts will still be available through third parties or printing custom charts (NCCs) using ENC data.

Full sunset document is here: https://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/publications/docs/raster-sunset.pdf

OP wanted info on a USB GPS connected to iPad. I don’t know any devices this or why you want to. Now this may be an option for a laptop or PC.

I have flown around the world on corporate jets utilizing iPads for enroute /approach charts with bad elf GPS. Bad elf can drive to five Bluetooth devices. Both bad elf and iPad can have a external power source. iPad is the most popular device in the aviation world but they are not certified or used to fly the approaches in commercial applications. I’ll personally have had more issues with the aircraft certified GPS system than my Bad Elf. The GPS last/long will more accurate than ATON position. The marine charts are not held to the same standards as aviation charts. The mariners have more fluid environment to navigate.

So back to your original question, don’t know if any GPS that can be connected via USB. you either get a device that has GPS built in or use a Bluetooth GPS. I prefer bad elf.

OP wanted info on a USB GPS connected to iPad. I don’t know any devices this or why you want to. Now this may be an option for a laptop or PC.

I have flown around the world on corporate jets utilizing iPads for enroute /approach charts with bad elf GPS. Bad elf can drive to five Bluetooth devices. Both bad elf and iPad can have a external power source. iPad is the most popular device in the aviation world but they are not certified or used to fly the approaches in commercial applications. I’ll personally have had more issues with the aircraft certified GPS system than my Bad Elf. The GPS last/long will more accurate than ATON position. The marine charts are not held to the same standards as aviation charts. The mariners have more fluid environment to navigate.

So back to your original question, don’t know if any GPS that can be connected via USB. you either get a device that has GPS built in or use a Bluetooth GPS. I prefer bad elf.

My backup unit is my Furuno. Primary is BadElf / iPad / Navionics. Screen is bigger as I am AARP.....

Please don’t tell aircraft pilots that. They use iPads exclusively for navigation - no paper charts.

I think a better way to say this would be we use iPads as a reference for navigation. Actual navigation that drives the airplane is still provided by onboard sources(GPS/IRS/VOR/DME/LOC/etc.). The iPad just replaced the paper charts and manuals. It is referred to as an EFB...Electronic Flight Bag. There are very few "moving map" features in the navigation app we use. We still generally have to build the picture in our head by using the resources/references available to us. We do not maneuver the aircraft strictly by reference to an iPad. Don't get me wrong...it is one of the best things to ever happen to aviation. But it is just part of the navigation puzzle...it is not the entire puzzle.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom