Navigation Refresher 21st century?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roger L

Veteran Member
I have been boating my entire life mostly inland local waters around Long Island. I have owned several boats as an adult and boat handling is not an issue. I learned navigation old school with paper charts compass dividers parallels stop watch from my Dad an avid predicted log participant. I am no stranger to technology nor afraid of it and I am looking for a refresher in navigation that relies heavily on electronic navigation and a refresh on "rules of the road". I just purchased a Mainship 34 trawler with Ray E80 and will be bringing it back to Long Island this spring and plan cruising in the near future. I had thought of getting a six pack captains certification only for the instruction but I will not use my boat except for pleasure seems unnecessary. Any suggestions for the most comprehensive way to get the knowledge and confidence I desire?

One step in the process might be to sit down with an electronic charting tool like opencpn and just play with it a bit. Figure out what it can show you, what you can do with it, what information it gives back when you plot a course, etc. You'll likely find a lot of it matches up pretty well to what you'd do on paper.

Going to a school for 6 pack or small tonnage master's will help with rules of the road. I doubt it will help you with the navigational training you are wanting. The schools mostly teach to the USCG exam which is still geared towards paper charts. Perhaps hire a training captain to give you a quick start on electronics based navigation.

I suggest a thorough read of your nav hardware user manual. Then break out your paper charts and tools, lay out a course on paper, fire up the Ray E80 input the course in the Ray. When you're ready cast off and use both paper and electronics in familiar waters until you gain some confidence that the Ray is telling you what you need to know.

Some comments on modern GPS + plotter navigation. This coming from a paper and dividers trained navigator. I'm talking about inland and near coastal navigation. I see what I think is a too heavy emphasis on GPS alone. Don't forget your radar. Range and bearing taken by radar are still valuable tools and offer you a quick cross check on your GPS and plotter. Further, viewing the plotter and GPS will help train you how to use the radar. And try to keep the old practice of 'staying ahead of the vessel'. That is know not only where you are now but were you expect to be in a few minutes, an hour, later in the day. The stuff you had to do with dead reckoning. Too many, myself included, tend to get sloppy with that. When the gizmos choke, and they do sometimes, I'm left scrambling to get my bearings. With the radar running and having even just casually used it to along with the GPS and potter I'm good to go almost instantly.

6 pack doesn’t exist anymore to my understanding.

Carry navionics on the iPads and iPhones as well as opencpn on a toughbook , and a handheld garmin so have redundancy beyond the plotters and ships screens. Still carry a logstick, a waxed lead, sextant with nav almanac and star finder on a phone. Have always found all of this stuff fun. Have experienced loss or severe degradation of all gps from any device onboard. Both around Bath, down by you near the sub pens and near the mouth of the Chesapeake. Been lucky and haven’t lost things due to lightening but worry about it. Totally agree with PB learning to translate a radar profile or follow a depth line against a chart book is a great skill to have. We still DR but agree it’s mostly for fun. Still it keeps your skills up should things break. There are multiple navigators handbooks still available. Easy to set up your own exercises to run when your bored and the boats on AP with empty (or near empty) horizons. Remain dismayed so many people get screen hypnosis. They ignore the external reality in preference to what’s on the screen which may not include the entire reality. Find it of interest the Academy has resumed teaching and requiring competence in celestial to graduate.

Rules are widely available on line. They haven't changed much. Few people know them.

I found chart plotters very similar to paper charts except your fix is shown constantly. The transition from paper and DR plots was instantaneous, it is that simple.
I sure like the ability to show course up vs north up on charts. I always can see the surroundings as viewed from my boat. You will love it.

Reading the manuals, usually available on line, will help explain the features and controls unique to your particular plotter.

You will probably want radar in that fog prone area.

Power Squadron may offer training in "electronic" navigation. CPS does and I have taken it along with several "chart" based (coastal) navigation courses.

Get the E80 owners manual and study it so you know how to navigate it first. How to navigate through the menus. And where what you need is in the menus. Get the chips of the areas you will be traveling through and look at them. Learn how to lay out a course and route. How to add and remove waypoints, etc. Basically learn how to use the E80.

The rules of the road can easily be read up in a reference like Chapman’s or the like.

Good luck and have fun.

Rules of the road can be found in a pamphlet at most marinas.

Boat US Foundation has links to online boating courses that give a certificate. (Which you will need if you transited NJ)

On the navigation front get Navionics and Aquamp Master on a tablet. Each has it’s own strength. They are cheap.

Keep your MFD for radar.

Get AIS. A tug will call you by name to make sure he doesn’t run you over.

https://wow.uscgaux.info/content.php?unit=054-09&category=captains-license-info

Sunday, January 10, 2021

OUPV License
This license is properly termed “Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels” (OUPV) and is commonly referred to as the “6-pack” or “Charterboat Captain’s License”. The word “uninspected” means that the equipment required and the design of the boat are less regulated. “6-pack” refers to the 6 passenger limitation placed on the license. OUPV licenses are issued with a particular route. Your license can be for the Great Lakes, Inland routes meaning bays, sounds, rivers, lakes, etc. of the US or Near Coastal routes out to 100 miles offshore. All OUPV licenses are for 100 Gross Tons vessels (about 100 feet, more or less). The OUPV license may be upgraded to a Master license.

Current NMC page

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/nmc/charter_boat_captain/

OUPV (6-pack)
National Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessel (OUPV) of Less Than 100 GRT

This officer endorsement is most appropriate for uninspected passenger vessels which by law are limited to six or less passengers for hire. These are usually smaller vessels and normally engage in charter fishing, whale watching, SCUBA diving, and tour cruises.

OUPV Near Coastal endorsements may be limited to 100 miles offshore, Inland or Great Lakes in accordance with 46 CFR 11.467 and the service provided. No OUPV endorsement is valid for International voyages.

According 46 CFR 11.201 (d): No officer endorsement may be issued to any person who is not a citizen of the United States with the exception of operators of uninspected passenger vessels that are not documented under the laws of the United States.

Last edited:
I totally agree with rslifkin since you have the experience to handle a boat and to navigate using paper charts. When it comes the electronics, there a lot of variations in the user interface for all instruments and I find Raymarines instruments a bit cumbersome if you are not familiar with them (i am not putting down the Rays at all). I would also recommend taking few classes through the Power Squadron if you have access to them. I would also need a plotting software on a Laptop to plan trips and to transfer to your onboard instrument (I find it hard to plan trips on certain Raymarines because of all the buttons). There are a lot of free Apps for Ipads or Smart phones that you should take advantage of.
Good luck and welcome to the 21st century.

6 pack does exist! I just took the course and got my license about 4 months ago!

My bad I was wrong. Thought it was reorganized into inland, Great Lakes, ocean. But it clearly still exists.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom