Naval Patrol Boat Takes on Cruise Ship

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wonder what the depth is in the sinking area. I'd be surprised if Maduro has the resources to salvage or refloat that ship.
I think I remember reading 830 metres.

Maduro is saying it was unfair, like a huge bully attacking a young lad. Heavily armed young lad.

I'd pay good money -- at least as much as a movie ticket -- to have a recording of the conversation on the bridge. The bridge on either ship for that matter.

I'd pay good money -- at least as much as a movie ticket -- to have a recording of the conversation on the bridge. The bridge on either ship for that matter.

The fact that no video from the Resolute has surfaced yet makes me wonder if they might not have done something a little naughty like changing course slightly and overwhelming the cutter. I think that would be a difficult temptation to resist under those circumstances, and with an ice breaker bow as their only advantage over an armed warship.

How many more ships does the Venezuelan navy have?

Wonder if the cruise ship flew a signal flag for a kill?

If the captain of the navy ship had researched that cruise ship on line, He might have changed his plan of attack.... LOL

I guess that captain never heard "Tonnage rules"

Here is a video of the venezuelan
navy firing on the cruise liner and the ramming.

The venezuelan only has 4 ships of the class, well 3 now. :rofl:

Cheers

H.

Last edited:
If anyone knows what the lady in the video is saying, I would love to know.

I'm betting she was pissed!!! :rofl:

Cheers

H.

Here is a video of the venezuelan
navy firing on the cruise liner and the ramming.

The venezuelan only has 4 ships of the class, well 3 now. :rofl:

Cheers

h.

Based upon this 'sort of video', looks like an unprovoked attack by Venezuelan navy and the unarmed cruse ship could only respond in one way, ram the bastard.
Now, the deck logs please.

Based upon this 'sort of video', looks like an unprovoked attack by Venezuelan navy and the unarmed cruse ship could only respond in one way, ram the bastard.
Now, the deck logs please.

OldDan.

The kicker is, they released the video. I guess they are not the sharpest tool in the toolbox!:lol:

Cheers.

H.

If anyone knows what the lady in the video is saying, I would love to know.

I'm betting she was pissed!!! :rofl:

Cheers

H.

LOL
She is screaming, "You broke my boat!!!"

snazzy, but perhaps they should rethink compartmentalization.

They better re-think their entire friggin' navy..
One gun on the ship? And when that one gun breaks or 'taken out', then what? Issue more toilet paper?
Yea, I know the US Navy has the same 1 gun ships. That does not make it right.

Last edited:
The whole thing is bizarre. If you are going to attack a cruise ship, why use small arms? Why not use the cannon and fire across the bow? Its not like the cruise ship is armed. Can't wait for the rest of this story.:popcorn:

OldDan.

The kicker is, they released the video. I guess they are not the sharpest tool in the toolbox!:lol:
Cheers.H.

Correction, they released a small PORTION of the video. Taken out of context with the rest of the video, it's kind of difficult to tell what it means. Also, on using small arms, it would be apparent to the Cruise ship that they were being fired upon, but small arms rounds are generally not accounted for like larger caliber ammunition, at least not in OUR Armed Forces. If it was a clandestine shake down, with no intention to take the vessel to port, any items/cash liberated from the cruise ship may never have made it to the Gov't. Incident not even logged, and loot shared among the crew. . .

Correction, they released a small PORTION of the video. Taken out of context with the rest of the video, it's kind of difficult to tell what it means. Also, on using small arms, it would be apparent to the Cruise ship that they were being fired upon, but small arms rounds are generally not accounted for like larger caliber ammunition, at least not in OUR Armed Forces. If it was a clandestine shake down, with no intention to take the vessel to port, any items/cash liberated from the cruise ship may never have made it to the Gov't. Incident not even logged, and loot shared among the crew. . .

I agree with you Slowgoesit. This is only a nipped of the video.

I think they are trying to show (In this video they released) that the cruise ship was heading towards the Navy ship and they fired small arms fire as a warning shot. Then the Cruise ship rammed them for no reason.

The only trouble I see with it is this. Both ships were 13 nautical miles of the coast. (International waters.) When the Navy fired the small arms warning shot, the Cruise ship was far away. Then the video cut and shows the Cruise ramming the Navy ship. It's all B. S.

To me this is an act of piracy by the Venezuelan Navy.

Cheers

H.

Just looked on the internet. Found this about their navy:

Founded: 1811

Size: 2 submarines, 3 frigates, 3 corvettes,10 patrol boats,4 landing ship tank, 3 auxiliary ships

Question: Has this been updated? Last week did it say FOUR Frigates and only ONE Submarine?!?:D

Sorry, I just couldn't resist!

Slowgoesit: rofl: on your post.

When the Venezuelan Government was imploding, I read in some article that most of their navy ships were docked because they did not have the money to operate them.

The article also said that about 30 to 40% of their sailors went awal because they had not been paid in a number of months. So even if they have that many vessels, do they have the sailors and cash to operate them?

I do not think they do! :facepalm:

Cheers.

H.

I don't believe anything posted by the Venezuelan government, as there hasn't been any justification given to board the cruise ship in international waters.

At this point, it appears to be an act of piracy! And if that is the case, then the captain of the cruise should have done anything he could to protect his ship and crew.

I still don't understand how you place a patrol boat across the bow of a much larger, slower vessel.

Jim

They better re-think their entire friggin' navy..
One gun on the ship? And when that one gun breaks or 'taken out', then what? Issue more toilet paper?
Yea, I know the US Navy has the same 1 gun ships. That does not make it right.

It is at least a 2 gun ship from the attached screencap.

But they had no intention of sinking it, just hijacking it and shaking down the owners for the odd million bucks or two. I hope the Resolute captain gets a nice fat check discreetly deposited in his account by grateful owners. But I doubt it.

Attachments

• 20200407_125859.jpg
    20200407_125859.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 62
Navantia is the yard that built the norwegian frigate 'Helge Ingstad', which sank almost instantly in 2018 after ramming an oil tanker at night. Thank god they were close to shore. :whistling:

Attachments

• helge ingstad.jpg
    helge ingstad.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 36
  • sola ts.jpg
    sola ts.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 42
It is at least a 2 gun ship from the attached screencap.

But they had no intention of sinking it, just hijacking it and shaking down the owners for the odd million bucks or two. I hope the Resolute captain gets a nice fat check discreetly deposited in his account by grateful owners. But I doubt it.

Bob Noodat.

I agree with you 100%. YES! The Cruise line company owners sure be kissing the Captain's bum for saving them millions of dollars. They also should write him a fat check as well, for protecting the ship and his crew and passengers (If any)

God just think of how many law suites would have been filed against the Cruise line Company if the Captain would have let these Pirates take his ship.

Cheer

H.

Bob Noodat.

I agree with you 100%. YES! The Cruise line company owners sure be kissing the Captain's bum for saving them millions of dollars. They also should write him a fat check as well, for protecting the ship and his crew and passengers (If any)

God just think of how many law suites would have been filed against the Cruise line Company if the Captain would have let these Pirates take his ship.

Cheer

H.

Funny. I would think that a cruise ship would be more of a liability than an asset right now.

Could be the owners are cursing him.

Funny. I would think that a cruise ship would be more of a liability than an asset right now.

Presumably today is not forever, and cruise ships will be in demand again, one day. But the only way that scenario could have fitted your theory is if the captain (who was reportedly talking to his owners during the incident) was attempting to have his boat sunk by the Venezuelans. Then there would be total loss coverage. To have been faced with a ransom for a non-performing asset would presumably have left the owners with a difficult decision to make. I feel sure that Lloyds of London would not issue coverage for extortion by the Venezuelan navy, even if they do issue coverage for ransoms paid to Somali pirates.

The war ship because of it size should be more nibble than a boat designed to go straight. LOL
Let see how the maritime courts distributes the blame.
We can distill that to, "We will never know"

Just looked on the internet. Found this...
Question: Has this been updated? Last week did it say FOUR Frigates and only ONE Submarine?!?:D

Sorry, I just couldn't resist!

Now that is funny.

Presumably today is not forever, and cruise ships will be in demand again, one day. But the only way that scenario could have fitted your theory is if the captain (who was reportedly talking to his owners during the incident) was attempting to have his boat sunk by the Venezuelans. Then there would be total loss coverage. To have been faced with a ransom for a non-performing asset would presumably have left the owners with a difficult decision to make. I feel sure that Lloyds of London would not issue coverage for extortion by the Venezuelan navy, even if they do issue coverage for ransoms paid to Somali pirates.
No conspiracy theorist here.

Just saying it might have been cheaper to have the Venezuelan Navy "look after it" for a while and have the discussion with the insurers.

Unintended consequences.

I still can't see how cruise lines are going to reinvent themselves when 58% of their market is over 55, and that sector is either petrified of COVID or has lost a significant amount of their disposable income. Most people under 55 don't have any discretionary spending.

When airlines are talking years, if not a decade to recover, and they at least have business passengers and freight to keep them afloat. A lot easier to store an airplane in the desert, than store a ship... anywhere.

That's why I maintain they are a liability, particularly small independent ships.

No conspiracy theorist here.

Just saying it might have been cheaper to have the Venezuelan Navy "look after it" for a while and have the discussion with the insurers.

Unintended consequences.

I still can't see how cruise lines are going to reinvent themselves when 58% of their market is over 55, and that sector is either petrified of COVID or has lost a significant amount of their disposable income. Most people under 55 don't have any discretionary spending.

When airlines are talking years, if not a decade to recover, and they at least have business passengers and freight to keep them afloat. A lot easier to store an airplane in the desert, than store a ship... anywhere.

That's why I maintain they are a liability, particularly small independent ships.

I’m pretty sure most of the over 55 demographic the Cruise Ships depend on are NOT “petrified” (otherwise many wouldn’t still be smoking, drinking, and/or obese) , nor have they lost “a significant amount of their disposable income”. Most all own their homes and real estate free and clear, have significant funds in CDs and/or cash. Although many have SEPS and investments in the Stock Market, there was ample time to have sold in a timely manner, and have already bought low, and have already made considerable profits. For example 3M alone has moved down and up $15.00 a.share. Then there’s those sweet pensions. I’m very optimistic about the whole thing, but then again I don’t watch the MSM media, who seems to work for China.
In summary: those who cruise know they have more money than time. Isn’t that why you bought a boat? Perhaps you should had bought faster ones?

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure most of the over 55 demographic the Cruise Ships depend on are NOT “petrified” (otherwise many wouldn’t still be smoking, drinking, and/or obese) , nor have they lost “a significant amount of their disposable income”. Most all own their homes and real estate free and clear, have significant funds in CDs and/or cash. Although many have SEPS and investments in the Stock Market, there was ample time to have sold in a timely manner, and have already bought low, and have already made considerable profits. For example 3M alone has moved down and up $15.00 a.share. Then there’s those sweet pensions. I’m very optimistic about the whole thing, but then again I don’t watch the MSM media, who seems to work for China.
In summary: those who cruise know they have more money than time. Isn’t that why you bought a boat? Perhaps you should had bought faster ones?

I agree. It is people in their 30s and 40s with heavy debt and marginal skills, also one-person businesses struggling along month to month, who face hard times. Around us, there is no real panic, but stores are quieter, and the demographic I see in largest numbers are old people who seem not worried at all, very few wearing masks, whereas those in the younger groups are unusually scarce and those you see look unhappy.

As the sub-prime mortgage fiasco unfolded, an intelligent friend of mine assured me that property prices would not recover in 20 years. How long did it take? 3? 4?

After Exxon Valdiz, the experts told us the coastline would not recover in a hundred years. How long did it take? 10? 15?

Don't panic. Life will get back to normal amazingly quickly.

Last edited:

I agree and I would hope that most older folks, getting close to retirement or already in retirement didn't have a lot of "risky" investments.

Personally, I am 60 and shifted my retirement account to less risky investments several times, as I edged closer to retirement and could have retired 4 years ago. Yes, I missed out on some of the stock markets big increases over the last 3 years, but I also was buffered from the loss of the last couple of months.

Now, however, I find myself thinking if I can guesstimate the bottom of the market, maybe it is time to shift some monies back into riskier investments?

Going back to cruising, our last time on a cruise ship was our honeymoon, 30 years ago, when cruise ships were much smaller than now. That said, we are tentatively planning on a Viking repositioning cruise from either Miami or San Juan to Barcelona in 2022 or 2023. Love the fact that Viking has newer ships that only carry 930 passengers.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom