Nautical terms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A fine motley crew if ever I saw one.

I want to party with you dude!!

SD

Yesterday the shipwright (well, he is) stopped work on my deck to fit "docking boards" to a real timber trawler operated by real trawlerpersons ( that`s PC).
What are they? Freshly cut and milled turpentine tree sacrificial boards running the full length of the keel to take the load when docked, ie hauled out on a cradle. For wooden boats only. I might call them grounding boards.
What about "Talk like a Pirate Day?" There`s an opportunity for nautical, and avian, terms.

Last edited:
Last edited:
A fine motley crew if ever I saw one.

I want to party with you dude!!

SD

We B Cool! :socool:

I’ve read enough of your posts to knowingly say: You're Welcome Aboard! :thumb:

My past lives span many occurrences. :eek: :rofl:

Beautiful dark hair chic in middle is my beloved daughter (i.e. step-daughter)! Wild man at front end (one of the sharpest, toughest dudes I ever met) is her hubby! Gorgeous blond next to pilot station is me wifie... Yeah Baby! Best in da world... far as I'm concerned; and, it ain’t my first day on the beach!! Blow that picture up... take close look into both girls’ eye balls... more inside there than anyone can imagine!! ;)

FUN & ENJOYMENT are two of our operative words! :D

I recall we had an endless discussion a few years ago on the salon vs saloon thing and that the end result was that the correct nautical term is, in fact, saloon even though few people today use it with regard to boats. I avoid the whole issue by calling ours the "main cabin."

I call the space itself the "head" and I call the toilet the "toilet." But other people use the term head to describe the toilet as well and I have no issue with that. I call it that myself from time to time depending on who I'm talking to.

What about "Talk like a Pirate Day?" There`s an opportunity for nautical, and avian, terms.

I have my keyboard prepared for that day.

Attachments

• pirate.jpg
    pirate.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 86
While working in television in Hawaii we made a commercial for Matson Navigation's then-new roll-on/roll-off ships. I was assigned to film on board the ship from Oakland to Honolulu and Hilo.

The first time I went up to the bridge I was surprised to see above the bridge windows in front of the helm console two large signs. One of them was big red arrow that pointed left and said "LEFT" on it, and the other one was a big green arrow that pointed right and said "RIGHT" on it. All steering instructions, both from the captain and from the harbor pilots at both ends of the trip, were given as "left" and "right." (Apparently nobody in the commercial shipping world has read Chapman's :) )

Another nautical term screwup was one of the factors believed to have contributed to the Titanic's suffering enough damage when it hit the iceberg to sink the ship. Steering commands at that time, at least on the White Star Line, were given as "port your helm" and "starboard your helm." According to the books I've read about the Titanic, Britannic, and Olympic, this dated from sailing days when the tiller was put over to the opposite direction of the turn. So port your helm actually meant turn the ship to starboard.

Ships changed from tiller steering to wheel steering but for whatever reason the old commands remained. Tradition, I guess. Helmsmen knew what they meant but under the sudden stress of being confronted with the iceberg it is believed (or known) that the helmsman turned the wheel the correct way for the wording of the command which was the wrong way for the rudder. And actually moved the Titanic harder into the iceberg.

This had happened once before when the Olympic collided with a military ship in broad daylight. The two ships were running side by side at some event off the south coast of England and the helmsman turned the wheel the wrong way when the command was given to widen the distance between the two ships.

Last edited:
"Right" and "Left" are the proper commands for commanding and answering the helm.

:)

Being that Matson is a US flagged line, I'm pretty sure the ship's established working language recorded in the ship log is indeed English.

:)

Being that Matson is a US flagged line, I'm pretty sure the ship's established working language recorded in the ship log is indeed English.

I was thinking of "your" U-boat.

I'll let you in on a secret.......

...that's not really me.

That's a good one but not the one I am looking for.

It may have been a Mediteranian thing. I think the person refering to it was from the Med.

I always thought of the plank as a device of punishment used by the captain to get rid of seamen that didn't act in a seaman like manner. You know, walk the plank. A gangplank is used to get rid of a group of mutineers maybe?
Kinda like keel hauling without a return. So is keelhauling preferred to walking the plank for the ofender?

me in the day...

Attachments

• my buddy steve dressed up like me.jpg
    my buddy steve dressed up like me.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 88
and one in my engine room.

Attachments

• me in my engine room.jpg
    me in my engine room.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 95
There's nothing else like a gunboat on a river.

img_116437_0_bccf681ffd44a23852bc7ed847ca7f61.jpg

OK. Here I am... need to adjust that belt a little.

Attachments

• my belt is too tight.jpg
    my belt is too tight.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 82
No, you're too coherent to be a 95-year-old Kirk Douglas.

I have it on good authority from acquaintances in Powell River that this is you on your boat. Camera left. Something about your bitching to the harbormaster (camera right) about the recent hike in moorage rates?

image-94462045.jpg

Last edited:
No! Cary Grant (aka Archibald Alexander Leach) is dead!

Last edited:
:) I had my picture taken with Tony Curtis at the sub ball ~1987ish. Same movie.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom