Nasty dirty fenders...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I personally avoid anything stronger than soft scrub with bleach using gloves and on the bow underway. I’m paying the price for exposure to acetone, tetracycline, rubberized spray paint, asbestos, and many more I could not even begin to spell the names of, the fumes alone of some would be a glue sniffers dream come true. So use caution, gloves ( some can be absorbed thru your skin) and use only in well ventilated areas.
My immune system was pretty well used up in my early 50’s, my exposure was well before OSHA and EPA, package warns etc. where even a thought.

Last edited:
Nasty dirty fenders

I have found that "mermaid Dinghy Cleaner" works great on these. Or a magic eraser and toilet bowl cleaner.

Whatever you use, ensure there's no abrasive. Anything something abrasive creates minute scratches on the fender surface to which dirt can cling more easily and more quickly than before.

Nasty Dirty Fenders

Try Bleachwhite. Available at auto parts stores. Used to clean whitewall tires. Is specifically designed for rubber and vinyl.

As an aside. I agree with attempts at cleaning by all means. But isn't it funny that many will clean an $80 fender but replace a $200-700 heat exchanger instead of repairing it at a rad shop, call it a disposable item. Just saying since this thread seems to go on and on with cleaning products.

For future consideration: get dark-colored fenders. They don't show dirt very well.

the same could be said for underwear..

I am in the camp that want's to see the stuff and clean off my fenders before it grinds its way through the paint on the hull.

HOLLYWOOD

I am in the camp that want's to see the stuff and clean off my fenders before it grinds its way through the paint on the hull.
HOLLYWOOD[/QUOTE]

Hollywood makes a very valid point with keeping bumpers clean. Attached dirt and debris will act as sandpaper on the gelcoats or paint of a hull.

This makes a good argument in favor of bumpers that don’t rotate. Clean on hull side, dirty on dock side. Lol.

the same could be said for underwear..

HOLLYWOOD

Fabric covers are soft against hull while able to be often cleaned with standard high pressure garden hose and nozzle... every time boat is sprayed off.

While fenders hang on line off gunnel edge [at least an inch or more away from hull side] the pressure hose spray gets them rotating first one direction, then the other. As spin increases by altering pressure spray up and down on edge and from side ege to side edge max spin is quickly reached in each direction. Due to water pressure hitting against the fabric, as well as the line's natural need to regain its straight position ... the fabric covered fenders get spinning so fast that water spraying off via centrifugal force somewhat resembles cloths in washing machine spin cycle. This pressure water nozzle "Spin Cycle" throws full height sheet of spray [complete vertical length of fabric covered fender] as much as three feet off fender sides. Dust etc on fabric cover gets thrown off.

"Spin Cycle" time per fender must be no more than 30 to 60 seconds; depending on how dust filled the fabric may be.

Simple is as simple does! :speed boat: :dance: :thumb:

Tilex & Scotch Bright super fine pads, finish up with 303 UV protection. Dress uniform calls for Navy Blue at the dock or dining out at the Oyster House. The scruffy old whites come out of the lazz when locking thru on the TN-TOM.:thumb:

Not sure why this has spawned 5+pages. Put simply, any time you use acetone or other caustic cleaners, you damage your fenders, or other synthetic material items (but only talking about fenders here). That is why they turn sticky and feel different after use. Do not use stripper, acetone, carb cleaner, etc on products like this. You change the chemical composition of the barrier coating and the fender itself. You may not feel it the first time, but it will happen, and you did damage it.

Use a non-caustic cleaner like the previously mentioned Blechewhite, Spray-9, Purple stuff, Simple Green, etc. Blechewhite just so happens to work best from the dozen or so I have tried over the years, with the least amount of work. Most all the suggestions above will work, you just don't want to damage your fenders.

OK, off my soapbox.

I have used Awesome to clean my fenders and it seems to work very well. Spray it on, rub with a brush or mitt, spray them off. You can get it at the Dollar Store. I also use a garbage bag on my fenders when I am locking. The bag doesn't last long but they are not expensive, throw them away and you still have a clean fender.

Can anyone advise me as to what will easily clean dirty white fenders?
Hope there is a product available to make this chore easier.
Thanks for any advice.
You might want to try a product called Vanisol. It’s made to clean toilets etc but it was amazing when I sponged it on my old SeaRay bow rider. I had it bottom painted but the first inch or two above the top of the paint line was badly yellowed and had hundreds of freshly attached baby barnacles. Those felt like little grains of sand. This stuff turned the yellow to white almost instantly and with some minor rubbing it dissolved the barnacle residue. It’s made of hydrochloric acid So wear rubber gloves and eye protection. Then rinse it off with a hose. Never tried on my fenders but it could be worth a try.

Hang the fenders away from the hull except for the rubrail. With exceptions, the only time they should touch the hull is when touching the dock. Use docklines to keep the hull and fenders away from the dock.

Attachments

• IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0184.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Why not buy a roll of tube stockinette, cut to length, slip over the fender, cable tie top and bottom. End of season replace them. If you want to be fancy you could die it.

Back
Top Bottom