Nanaimo to Campbell River

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordon GB

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Raven
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42 Classic
We're planning our cruise to Canada and are considering going north up the east coast of Vancouver Island from Nanaimo to Campbell River on our way to cruising grounds north of there, including anchorages in the Discovery Islands and Desolation Sound area.

Thoughts on this route up the Strait of Georgia vs the usual crossing to the east side of the Strait from Nanaimo and then proceeding north?

I prefer West side of Strait, anchor off Hornsby Island in Tribune Bay makes a nice stop as well! Great sandy beaches.

Currently headed back South after cruise to Glacier Bay. Expect Port McNeill in a week or so, then down into Boughtons. Maybe we'll run into you (figuratively speaking):D

Thoughts on this route up the Strait of Georgia vs the usual crossing to the east side of the Strait from Nanaimo and then proceeding north?

Why not? We like Comox, good port of call; nice town for strolling, stores and restaurants near marina. Dinghy upriver to Courtney recommended.

...but pay close attention to your chart. Both approaches provide special challenges.

Last edited:
Just be very, very careful about the tide rip off Cape Mudge. A following sea hitting the ebb coming out of Campbell River can make for very dangerous conditions with very large standing waves.

Comox is a nice stop. A bit boring past Comox though. A stop at Middlenatch can be fun in benign weather.

The predominant NW summer wind fills the west of Georgia Strait from Johnstone Strait first. It can be lumpy. If there is a NW wind, it might be best to go up Malaspina (which is also boring) but gives you options.

Jedediah, Lesqueti and Nelson Islands have some nice anchorages. Westview (good food) and Lund are good marinas on the East side.

If you are heading over to Desolation Sound from Comox this website has some good info under their itineraries and cruising notes:
https://desolationsoundyachtcharters.com/

In a SE wind stay out of Malaspina, and be extra cautious at Cape Mudge.

Last edited:
We spent time in Comox w engine troubles. Great place to spend a few days.

Gordon
We will traverse Georgia Strait Friday 22nd arriving Comox after departing Dent Island area at 6:30 AM turn. Nanaimo to Comox is a grind it out trip. We've done it dozens of times and liken it to a trip to the dentist. Our favorite anchorage near Comox is Henry Bay, bypassing Tribune's crowds and Southeasterlies.

The key to going north past Campbell River is paying attention to tides, currents and weather. The Ports and Passes manual is essential and loaded with lots of good information beyond the numbers. Enjoy your trip and keep an eye out for SlowGoesIt. Scot and Laura are good folks.

I would suggest taking the route between Texada and the mainland, the side Powell River is on. Its quite pleasant, Jervis Inlet is great, I recommend the Texada Boat Club dock as it has a public and well as private docking. Its tucked away, I like it so much I hate recommending it. Its also one of the cheaper marinas, and well protected. Its below Powell River on Texada Island, north.

Most boaters doing Desolation stay in and around the south end of East and West Rodonda Islands. I find the Northern part of these two islands and into Toba Inlet offers more seclusion and more beauty. Waddington Channel is the body of water separating the East and West Island. And roughly 80% up the channel on your port side is Walsh Cove (check Waggoner) and nice place to anchor.

Toba Wilderness Marina in Toba Inlet is just about the only place to stay. A bit on the pricier side but also getting supplies to the marina explains much of the costing. Definitely make reservations. (Waggoner)

https://marinas.com/view/marina/x1cxjr_Toba_Wilderness_Marina_Toba_Inlet_BC_Canada

Squirrel Cove is a great place to anchor. The cove is in two parts so once you enter head to the end and you will see an entrance to another area that is very popular. Anchor there and dinghy to the dock.

My thinking is if you are going to Desolation, then take the Malaspina Strait route up then the east coast of Vancouver Island on the way down.

Know where all the "rapids" are when leaving Desolation (Waggoner).

https://www.amazon.ca/Waggoner-Crui...ner+cruising+guide+2022&qid=1658462172&sr=8-1

Its worth motoring down all or most of Toba Inlet but don't count on anchorages. One of the negatives of fjords is that the drop off goes pretty steep almost immediately.

PS: My boat is moored in the private marina (where Harbour Air lands) in Comox.

Last edited:
I travel on both the East and the West side of the Straight. The Westside requires a better weather forecast than the East side. There are far fewer boat wakes on the West side. You will see more interesting commercial traffic on the West side. There are more places of interest on the East side.

I travel on both the East and the West side of the Straight. The Westside requires a better weather forecast than the East side. There are far fewer boat wakes on the West side. You will see more interesting commercial traffic on the West side. There are more places of interest on the East side.

:thumb:

Gordon:
You didn't say when you will be going, or whether you travel at trawler speeds or faster. The next week is likely to be good weather, but if you are going later and it blows, the other side will be better in a NW, so you may want to cross below Nanaimo. If crossing from Nanaimo, call Winchelsea Control on Ch 10 for WG status before crossing.

Barring that NW, Tribune Bay, Deep Bay, and Comox, are all good on the Vanc island side. Last time we stopped in Comox their open air market was on. More space and much different from the one in Ganges.

Boho Bay, between Lasquiti and Jededia and False bay, at the NW corner of Lasquiti Is, are both decent anchorages.

It is only a 2 day transit from Nanaimo, so we usually choose on the basis of tidal direction and no of hours we want to travel in a day.
On a big tide change, tide will add, or subtract over a knot. At 8 knots, worth considering in your planning.

Gordon
Our favorite anchorage near Comox is Henry Bay, bypassing Tribune's crowds and Southeasterlies.

I'm not familiar with the Henry Bay you mention. Can you give me some location info?

Henry Bay is a more a local thing. If you want to go out on your boat but not too far from the Comox marinas, you motor over to Henry Bay, drop anchor, BBQ, have a drink or two, motor back. You can overnight it but its a fair weather anchorage only, suitable for the summer months. My buddy with a Nordic Tug is always jumping in his boat and soloing over to the bay, dropping anchor, and I get pictures texted of him relaxing with a drink with shrimp on the barby.

It's at the northern tip of Denman Island. I don't know how well this chart will show up with Henry Bay included:

https://mapcarta.com/24293588

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for all your tips - very helpful! Now I've got a plan, and some alternatives.

No one has mentioned this. Make sure you check whether Whisky Golf (WG) is active or not!! Save you some aggravation and embarrasses.

No one has mentioned this. Make sure you check whether Whisky Golf (WG) is active or not!! Save you some aggravation and embarrasses.

Oh yeah - several years ago, a friend headed out from Nanaimo without checking and got a swift and unpleasant visit from the Navy. Not something I want to risk.

A couple of suggestions about Area WG- If you listen to the weather broadcasts, or leave ch 16 turned on, you WILL hear whether WG is active or not. If in any doubt you can call Winchelsea (win chell see) control directly on ch10 and they will tell you. Don't be one of the hard of thinking who flips on ch16 and calls VCG radio to ask whether it's open - 10 minutes after they broadcast the All Stations advice.
And don't get me started about 'securitè' broadcasts from 36' trawlers on 25 watts.

Doesn't everyone want to know who is taking their 36' through Dodd?

And at slack current.
With a mountain and a few good hills between I can still hear the calls over twenty four miles away.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom