Name this yacht!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't You Know Who I Am?

Space Invader
Havoc!
Colorado Avalanche
Sleepwalker
False Start / Offsides

Frisky?

Keep us updated on the story please. I'd like to know which brand of electronic controls are in dire need of a software update!

Good point in terms of what systems were installed. If this was what is seems (waiting for final report of course) this happens more than people like to think. Mechanical or electrical failures leading to loss of engine control, sudden accelerations, transmissions going into reverse on their own etc... Many here have stories of wonky electronic controls or failures. Fortunately most happen outside marinas or close quarters situations. But every once in a while there is a situation in close quarters like this that is a real eye opener.

Hey watch this.

or perhaps that famous 2 word phrase that occurs right after you think it.

You guys have obviously forgotten your car history. Unintended Acceleration
How could I ever forget my 1985 Audi! It did the unintended acceleration three times while I owned it. Fortunately no accidents or injuries resulted from those three times. Just some clean shorts.

How could I ever forget my 1985 Audi! It did the unintended acceleration three times while I owned it. Fortunately no accidents or injuries resulted from those three times. Just some clean shorts.

Toyota won the prize for that though and, sadly, quite a few deaths resulted.

Expensive Mistake

Okay! I was all about "Premature Acceleration" until I got to "Flesh Wound."

That's awesome!

Once had a sailboat in our club called "Level Crossing" due to one of life's embarrassing moments. that name should be available again.
Or: "Buff right out"

Good point in terms of what systems were installed. If this was what is seems (waiting for final report of course) this happens more than people like to think. Mechanical or electrical failures leading to loss of engine control, sudden accelerations, transmissions going into reverse on their own etc... Many here have stories of wonky electronic controls or failures. Fortunately most happen outside marinas or close quarters situations. But every once in a while there is a situation in close quarters like this that is a real eye opener.

I can attest to that....

In Juneau this summer, I was asked to squeeze into a space that required backing in between two docks. I seldom use the remote outside controls for our Kobelt system that controls bow and stern thrusters, rudder and gear. When I connected the controller - which is hard wired - Delfin went into full forward. Fortunately I was pointed towards the breakwater and not the dock full of boats and people. Lord knows what damage or harm I would have caused if I'd been pointing 180 degrees different. As it was she drove up onto the breakwater, but being steel didn't do anything other than scrape some bottom paint. Nevertheless, a real pucker experience.

When Kobelt looked at the unit, they found a defective potentiometer, but I was also reminded that I had not followed the correct procedure for using the remote control. In the pilot house I can deselect the console controls and shift them to the two outside stations where the remote can be plugged in. You are supposed to plug the controller in before you shift control to those outside stations, so if there is a fault, instead of frantically trying to unplug the remote outside you can hit the kill button for the electronic controls within the pilot house, or deselect outside station control. Be that as it may, when you apply 270 hp to a 44" prop, even a 65 ton boat gets up and goes pretty damn quick, so going forward my finger will be poised over the kill button with one hand, while the other transfers control to the outside station.

The insidious part of this is that I would generally only use the outside stations when I am in areas that are congested and when any fault poses a significant risk of harm if a malfunction occurs. I love electronic controls, but like any system you have to assume that eventually Murphy's law will come into effect.

When Kobelt looked at the unit, they found a defective potentiometer, but I was also reminded that I had not followed the correct procedure for using the remote control. In the pilot house I can deselect the console controls and shift them to the two outside stations where the remote can be plugged in. You are supposed to plug the controller in before you shift control to those outside stations, so if there is a fault, instead of frantically trying to unplug the remote outside you can hit the kill button for the electronic controls within the pilot house, or deselect outside station control. Be that as it may, when you apply 270 hp to a 44" prop, even a 65 ton boat gets up and goes pretty damn quick, so going forward my finger will be poised over the kill button with one hand, while the other transfers control to the outside station.

From looking at the photos, the boat just eased into gear, not heavy throttle, or they pulled it out of gear very quickly, as with a 355,000 pound boat (half load as full is 390,000 and light is 325,000) and 5200 hp, heavy throttle would have left a far worse picture. The damage seems to just reflect the size of the attacking boat.

Note an article says 260 tons but that's GRT tonnage, not weight. Supposedly the boat moved about 300 feet.

Designated Hitter

Ted

Back
Top Bottom