Name removal advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The previous owner of my 2002 Sabre splashed the boat’s name in stainless steel script across the transom and on the cabin sides. I want to remove them but don’t have any idea of what adhesive was used or how to remove them without damaging the fiberglass surface.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Warm, not heat, the badge with a heat gun to soften the adhesive then use a piece of .026 safety wire to cut it free. Use dowel pieces as handles on the ends of the wire to pull it back and forth cutting the bond. A very thin guitar string can also be used.

I used 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner to remove some VHB tape with some good success. The heat idea is also good.

Wire and/or guitar strings can scar the gelcoat. Heat will help separate the aplique from the adhesive but not the adhesive from the boat. Braided fishing line will cut the adhesive foam then acetone and a plastic scraper will remove what's left without damaging the fiberglass. It ain't rocket science!

They'll come off with gentle heat and adhesive remover. Is it a dark color? Biggest problem is the gelcoat color change so you can still see the old name...

The previous owner of my 2002 Sabre splashed the boat’s name in stainless steel script across the transom and on the cabin sides. I want to remove them but don’t have any idea of what adhesive was used or how to remove them without damaging the fiberglass surface.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to TF. Good infor. We like pictures....

Back
Top Bottom