Old 08-09-2020, 01:53 PM   #1

City: SEATTLE
Name Plaque

Hi Frosty!

OK, my boat is named KON TEAKY.

1. Does anyone have wooden name plaque photos you can share with me?

2. Where did you get the engraving at, (website, contact information?).

Due to a dinghy off the back of my boat, I plan to put the plaque where the old name is on the flybridge. See "Dreams too" photo.

Be it's slightly illegal, this "might" be the only place on my boat for its name and port.

3. So if the sign has large legal legible font, Can I also add the port name "Seattle" on it as well?

4. Along with the hauling port, "Seattle", Do I HAVE to put the state's name as well, "Washington"? IF YES, can I just use "WA"?

No frosty It said hauling port, it didn't mention anything about the state

A. KON TEAKY
SEATTLE

B. KON TEAKY
SEATTLE WASHINGTON

C. KON TEAKY
SEATTLE WA

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20200809-065659_Google.jpg   Screenshot_20200809-042523_Google.jpg   Screenshot_20200613-220148_Gmail.jpg   Screenshot_20200613-220200_Gmail.jpg   20200615_181033.jpg  

Ducatihottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:18 PM   #2
Guru

City: US PNW
Whatever you do elsewhere, consider putting the name on the bottom of the dinghy (commonly done). Oftentimes other boaters approaching from astern will want to hail you.

It also looked like the name and hailing port might be on the transom (in the YW ad). Not a bad idea to put the name there too. Dinghy may be trailing astern (or ashore) in anchorages.

But it's also somewhat common to have nameboards where the "Dream Too" is. If you look at, say, a Grand Banks 42 Classic you will likely see name boards port and starboard about where Dream Too is (name only typically), plus a name and hailing port on the transom -- plus a less fancy name and hailing port on the bottom of the dinghy (just vinyl stickers).

Or...
Attached Thumbnails
Or.jpg  
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:43 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Should you join a Yacht club, you may find there rules confound your choice of location.
Mine requires the abbreviation of the club name to be on the transom, along with the name and port. If you put yours up on the fly bridge side, while in compliance with your Fed Doc rules, you would then also need to put it on the transom. Putting it on the transom now would save a re-do and would be much more conventional.
Then the boat name alone on the fly bridge side, either vinyl, paint or wood plaque.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
If your boat is documented then you need to follow the requirements for displaying the name and hailing port. Look on the NVDC website for details. The state of Washington may or may not require you to register the boat and if so then you will probably need to display the registration sticker.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:26 PM   #5
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I am not a fan of engraved name boards. The name board here was cleaned up by me, sanding to bare wood then coated with six coats of varnish BEFORE being handed over to the sign painter. This guy then laid hand--tooled gold leaf inside the letter outlines he painted on there. Then I clear coated it. The painter charged 300 bucks, but nobody knows how to do that anymore. A goodly number of years later I needed the side boards redone, and I got a sign shop to produce vinyl name sheets which were easy to apply to the varnished boards and had near the same hand-tooled gold leaf look.
Attached Thumbnails
transom 2011.jpg  
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:33 PM   #6

Rich, perhaps the nicest I've seen, wow.

Thanks Dave, I just went through all of that

How funny frosty. Since the boat hangs a little over the docks edge, I couldn't see it's Plus my surveyor took my smoking dinghy for a ride and I never climbed down. You know the only reason I bought the boat was for the dinghy.

And thanks to everyone above for teaching me a new word, Transom".
Old 08-09-2020, 05:39 PM   #7
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
And then, if you have a canoe stern, name on both sides, per hailing port.... (stumped look)
Putting on the underside of the tender is an acceptable fix.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:30 PM   #8
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
But it's also somewhat common to have nameboards where the "Dream Too" is. If you look at, say, a Grand Banks 42 Classic you will likely see name boards port and starboard about where Dream Too is (name only typically)
That's what my EB47 has. Name boards with the navigation light on it. The lights are bracketed by some additional teak to block them being viewed from astern. They're angle limited already, so this was sort of overkill, but it's a nice added touch.

This was from delivery, I don't have any current ones with the name applied.

I've never seen anything ever use the hailing port on the side boards. I've seen all manner of side name treatments though. Everything from decals such as what you've already got, wood name boards, engraved multi-color PVC, metal and even backlit metal.
Attached Thumbnails
20180522_201023.jpg  
Old 08-09-2020, 08:14 PM   #9
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Boat name and home port don't have to be on the transom.

"Many recreational vessels will place the vessel name and hailing port on the stern, and vessel name on both sides of the bow, which is required for a commercial vessel. Although not required for a recreational vessel, this is an acceptable option.

"The above requirement for vessel name and hailing port to be clearly visible may necessitate duplicating the name and hailing port on either side of the hull."

Putting that information on the dinghy hanging on the transom does not meet requirements, but is handy for other boaters approaching from behind.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:05 PM   #10

City: Matagorda Bay
Vessel Name: Salty
Vessel Model: 2005 Defever 44
8 coats Epifanes clear varnish on teak boards, vinyl "burnished gold leaf" letters from internet supplier, then 4 more coats Epifanes over letters. Done!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170916_191324.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	106082Click image for larger version

Name:	20170917_152849.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	106083
Old 08-09-2020, 10:50 PM   #11

That's exactly what I want Luke.

Did I miss the answer if I need to include Washington or WA to my boats name? Or can I just put Seattle?

More photos please.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:40 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatihottie View Post
That's exactly what I want Luke.

Did I miss the answer if I need to include Washington or WA to my boats name? Or can I just put Seattle?

More photos please.
Go to NVDC website and it will tell you exactly how to do it properly and legally. You do need to do some of the research. We are happy to help but not necessarily spoon feed you.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:53 PM   #13

I did. Frosty copied it for me.

I don't recall it saying if I had to include the state or not, (or can I abbreviate it with "WA").

One more question before you sleep.

About how long do you think my first boat friend on the dock will strangle me from asking to many questions? Day, week, month?
Old 08-10-2020, 12:28 AM   #14
Guru

City: US PNW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatihottie View Post

About how long do you think my first boat friend on the dock will strangle me from asking to many questions? Day, week, month?
No option for minutes?
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:36 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Questions are ok, but google first.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:01 AM   #16

That's funny.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:33 AM   #17
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
But it's also somewhat common to have nameboards where the "Dream Too" is. If you look at, say, a Grand Banks 42 Classic you will likely see name boards port and starboard about where Dream Too is (name only typically), plus a name and hailing port on the transom -- plus a less fancy name and hailing port on the bottom of the dinghy (just vinyl stickers).

Just do this and call it good. Name/hailing port (yes, add "WA") on the transom, name boards on each side where "Dream Too" appears, vinyl boat name on dingy bottom.

Latter is most important for anyone behind you wanting to get your attention on the radio.

-Chris
Old 08-10-2020, 07:11 AM   #18
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Just do this and call it good. Name/hailing port (yes, add "WA") on the transom, name boards on each side where "Dream Too" appears, vinyl boat name on dingy bottom.

Latter is most important for anyone behind you wanting to get your attention on the radio.

-Chris
Chris, you nailed it.
I think, the fwd name boards have to be in the fwd 1/3 of the hull.
One thing more, the height of the letters. I forgot. Minimum of 5 inches? That sort of depends upon the length of the boat.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:29 PM   #19

Whew hoo! THANKS CHRIS and DAN for simplicity, (you rock)!