Name the one thing you dislike about your boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On my boat there is only side access on the port side, better if there was on S board as well. Wish I had electrical and water connection at the bow as well. Hope to have done in future.

Mmmm. We both agree. . .if we won the lottery, Shangri-La would stay right here. She's safe, comfortable and sips fuel.

It’s too far away for me to use and enjoy right now.

One thing that's experienced all the time and can't be changed: It doesn't lay into a breeze at anchor but sails back and forth. I almost always use a shore tie. #2 spot goes to the shaft log and coupler (lack of) access, and it's a distant 2nd because it's a pretty long interval between the need to deal with it. But it's due now and first on the spring agenda, so could take the #1 spot once done...

Nice boat... Photo of self on bridge - Please!

Lapstrake was my guess...

One thing that's experienced all the time and can't be changed: It doesn't lay into a breeze at anchor but sails back and forth. I almost always use a shore tie. #2 spot goes to the shaft log and coupler (lack of) access, and it's a distant 2nd because it's a pretty long interval between the need to deal with it. But it's due now and first on the spring agenda, so could take the #1 spot once done...

Like your Uniflite... I had a 1973 31' Uni. Damn nice boat!!

Attachments

• 101_0042.jpg
    101_0042.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
It’s too far away for me to use and enjoy right now.

Cardude, did you ever get a satisfactory settlement from the insurance company? Also, who did you end up re-insuring with? Hope all is well!:dance:

Is that a fairly common problem with any sort of planing hull?

Is that a fairly common problem with any sort of planing hull?

It's far from unique to planing hulls. It's a problem on any boat where the center of windage is forward of the center of underwater drag.

It's far from unique to planing hulls. It's a problem on any boat where the center of windage is forward of the center of underwater drag.

Physics, baby! Physics!!!

Well I'll be a monkey's bare assed uncle. That's a mystery I've been wondering about for a lot of years now. And is that a Canadian flag? RT are you a northern neighbor? I thought you were 'Murican! Congratulations on coming out! You'll be glad you did! Your mother and I love you and are very proud of you. :flowers:

On my vessel, one thing I don't really care for is the water access. The big ol' sundeck booty gives me a glorious stateroom, and an excellent back porch, but the tradeoff is a long ladder down to the swim step, and with the Dingus on the davits, it's a fairly useless step anyway. I also need to upgrade the swim ladder to something a little more capable of supporting my vast bulk.

Sorry I have not been back to this thread for a while.
The engine I am describing was a 2004 model MD2030 (29 HP) in a brand new Bavaria 36 sailboat (2005 model year delivered in November of 2004).
As far as taking care of it, I followed the owner's manual religiously. I used only the expensive Volvo oil filters, and never once exceeded the recommended 100 hour change interval, using top quality brand name (recommended) oil. The engine was never started without first doing all engine checks. The engine was never "overloaded", and I varied the rpm several times per hour. It was operated well within it's suggested cruising rpm. The failure was caused by an assembly issue as determined by a metallurgical engineer (among others). It was not properly torqued. In the 12 years that I owned it, the engine basically "ate" glow plugs (Volvo again said it was my fault even though I followed their instructions to the letter), we had to wait for one engine part to come from Florida and another time for one to come from Sweden.
So my experience was that glow plugs failed with some regularity and without warning (the engine would just not start), and I had several different mechanics look into the cause including replacement of the entire circuit (not the wires but all else) with limited success, parts were expensive and sometimes very hard to source with long wait times or expensive freight charges, and in addition the lower end of a 5 year old, lightly used engine "tore itself apart".

On top of that, Volvo's (Canada) customer support and service were terrible, with them ALWAYS blaming the customer for their faults, even though I am a very careful owner who goes out of his way to maintain his boat and engine to high standards following the OEM recommendations. Yes, I read and follow manuals. :dance:

I am only relating my experience, and stating that due to this experience I will not own another Volvo. As I stated, others may have different experiences :angel:.

+1 100%. I agree that I don’t want to ever own another Volvo. The customer support sucks. I bought a brand new boat with twin Volvos. So it was not an issue of ancient engines as they were current year models. Parts took forever. The only saving grace was that I worked part time selling boats for the dealer so they would take parts off of a new boat to get mine running. Now we live in Michigan and if we had to wait the usual 3 months or more for a part that is 1/2 of the season. And the parts pricing is just another topic that is crazy.

As to what is wrong with my current boat? It is only 41’ and I need a 55 to 58’ boat. But our yard can’t haul anything larger than our current boat.

On top of that, Volvo's (Canada) customer support and service were terrible, with them ALWAYS blaming the customer for their faults, even though I am a very careful owner who goes out of his way to maintain his boat and engine to high standards following the OEM recommendations. Yes, I read and follow manuals. :dance:

I am only relating my experience, and stating that due to this experience I will not own another Volvo. As I stated, others may have different experiences :angel:.

Thanks for the information. For a long time, Volvo had very different reputations in North America vs. Europe. What I have seen in the last 10 years in great progress in service in the US, but even that is somewhat limited by location. I don't know anything about any progress or lack of progress in Canada.

This kind of situation isn't unique to Volvo where a region or country group may not be at all like the home office and dealers may be better or worse than the company itself. I do believe Volvo has taken steps to improve their service and especially warranty support in the US in the last ten years.

As an aside, we were inland lake boaters until 2012. When I was young, people were skeptical toward Volvo, but by 2005-2010 they were not. However, I don't attribute that at all to the company, just to the quality dealers on our lake.

The biggest example in the industry I know of European vs. US bias is Azimut. In the US, their service and warranty is 100% managed by Marine Max with set amounts paid per boat and no incentive to provide extra service so their reputation is very bad. In Europe, they have an excellent reputation.

On engines, CAT and Cummins have better reputations in the US than in Europe. For instance, CAT is favored by more people than MAN. In Europe, MAN would be more favored than CAT.

I don't blame you at all for your view. I know I definitely hold on to the memories of bad experiences. There is a chain of restaurants I won't go to because 15-20 years ago I found the service always bad. I haven't tried one in the last 10 years and likely will not in the next 10.

+1 100%. I agree that I don’t want to ever own another Volvo. The customer support sucks. I bought a brand new boat with twin Volvos. So it was not an issue of ancient engines as they were current year models. Parts took forever. The only saving grace was that I worked part time selling boats for the dealer so they would take parts off of a new boat to get mine running. Now we live in Michigan and if we had to wait the usual 3 months or more for a part that is 1/2 of the season. And the parts pricing is just another topic that is crazy.

As to what is wrong with my current boat? It is only 41’ and I need a 55 to 58’ boat. But our yard can’t haul anything larger than our current boat.

Out of curiosity, when was your bad experience?

It was in the late 90s. But the engines were brand new. Obviously it left a very bad taste in my mouth. When we were boat shopping recently if the boat had Volvos in it, even if it matched our needs/wants, I would pass on it.

Wish it were a cockpit version. We love the sundeck, but the almost vertical ladder to the swim platform will probably get old - as we get older. Alas, as most things - a little trade and a lot more boat bucks could fix it! Love the engine access - tons of room.

Getting back to the subject, access “to” the boat from the water was my pet peeve until we spent the time & money to alter it. Location of the genset was number two until we spent the time & money to alter it. Number one right now is that I canned the old auto pilot and it is currently without one. You can guess what we’re going to do about it.

If I had a spare million though, I’m sure there would be a few more obvious rubs (in fact, a list of rubs) requiring more time & money but mostly money. Why is it that the more spare change I have, the more rubs arise? :banghead:

One thing that came up today as I'm coming into a slip:

it's big, it's a sail, and it's not heavy enough or has enough ass in the water to keep the wind from blowing it around like a toy sailboat. Took 3 tries to get it into correct position to stearn in, and even then, it floats to one side or another as we're backing in. In this particular marina, no intermediate piles to keep me off the boat next to the slip, so fenders and boat hook are a necessity.

One thing that came up today as I'm coming into a slip:

it's big, it's a sail...

Yep, ours too. I know what you mean, although the more practice I get the more I can compensate. But I still pinball my way into the slip on most windy days. Good thing the pilings are strong and well cushioned. I admire your taking three tries to line up. I still need to get to the point where I don't care what spectators think if I try to line up and back off multiple times.

My engine, just after warranty (ended by time (years) not engine hours) experienced a total failure of the lower end due to a connecting rod cap (nut) not having been properly torgued from the factory.

Your story reminds me of my new Mercury Bigfoot 40hp I bought in the Middle East. It was Chinese built and wouldn’t reach rpms. Was under warranty so I had the rep’s mechanics come out. It took them a couple of hours and finally figured out that the factory ran the spark plug wires to the wrong cylinders.

Meatballs!

Years ago, MAN engines were having a bunch of failure. The factory tried to blame it on the owners....
Results: class action against MAN. I am told, it was traced to defective pistons made in China.

I think for us the main issue we have is that the head entry door is in the master stateroom. It’s totally fine until you have guests.
Then they have to go into stateroom and then enter bathroom. A Jack and Jill door would’ve be better.
Always a compromise.

Brent

For me, access to the engine compartment is challenging. The engine boxes weigh a considerable amount and originally required two to manhandle. I installed lifting rings fore and aft and now use a Warn hand held electric winch to lift the front or rear of the boxes. Easier, but still a chore. Other than that, I'm very pleased with the boat.

My biggest gripe about my boat is that it's in a slip in Seattle awaiting some knowledgeable boat shopper to come along and fall in love with her. :facepalm:

The flip side of that gripe is that when that buyer comes along and signs on the dotted line the two of us are going shopping for a Class A diesel pusher., :thumb: :thumb:

My biggest gripe about my boat is that it's in a slip in Seattle awaiting some knowledgeable boat shopper to come along and fall in love with her. :facepalm:

The flip side of that gripe is that when that buyer comes along and signs on the dotted line the two of us are going shopping for a Class A diesel pusher., :thumb: :thumb:

Mike:

Are you interested in one you saw, a 43 Monaco, 2007? Sold our US digs, so the MH has to go. If interested, send me a PM.

2015 Marlow Pilot M32
Anchor rode retrieval design. From windlass down to anchor locker, very narrow. Chain jams up on itself and does not fall freely into the anchor locker.

Instead of a new thread, I was wondering if anyone here has or had a faux smoke stack. I've seen them on Willards and Tugs. I actually convinced my friend to remove his from his Willard. Obviously I'm not a fan.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom