Old 10-09-2020, 03:50 AM   #1

City: Santa Barbara
Name the one thing you dislike about your boat

Is there one thing you don't like about your boat? One thing I dislike about mine is the gear lever positions are the opposite of every boat I've owned. To Reverse you push the gear lever away from you, to go Forward you pull the gear lever toward you. Makes it difficult to operate the boat intuitively in tight spots. Muscle memory kicks in.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:45 AM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Hook it up differently....most can be or get a different one used.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:42 AM   #3
Guru

City: Tavernier, FL
Vessel Name: Volans
Vessel Model: 2001 PDQ MV 32
We really wish the landings at the back of the hulls were lower, or there was a swim step. Probably going to be a winter project next year. It's surprising how many boats have less than ideal access to the water.

Previously of "In Sanity" fame. A 40' Mainship from 1981.
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:52 AM   #4
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Two things:
1) Engine access
2) Chine slap
Old 10-09-2020, 07:06 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
The fact that we don't have out next boat next! Looking hard, but haven't found the right one yet . . .
slowgoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:11 AM   #6
Guru

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: 1978 Hatteras 53MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe n Em View Post
We really wish the landings at the back of the hulls were lower, or there was a swim step. Probably going to be a winter project next year. It's surprising how many boats have less than ideal access to the water.
Same here. Need to enlarge swim platform and put a more ergonomic ladder on somehow without making it look goofy.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:16 AM   #7
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
2 things for mine. The fixable (with enough $$$) one is the engines: the gassers do the job fine, but max continuous power is a little low and they're thirsty. Diesels would be nice.

The less fixable issue is a lack of wet storage. No lazarette, closest thing is under the forward stateroom (which means carrying stuff through the cabin).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:36 AM   #8
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Tight engine access for sure. And I can't hear the engines very well on the flybridge, they're ten feet below the helm under two floors and a layer of carpet. At idle I have to look at the tachs to make sure they're still running. Otherwise though, we really like the boat a lot, serves us well, even with two kids.

Wouldn't want it any bigger really, profile catches too much wind as it is.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:41 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Not enough indoor space (galley and seating) especially for this time of year.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:43 AM   #10
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Well this is a kinda rich man problem but, the lack of an auto stabilizer lock system. The actuators are behind the bulkhead by the head of our bed. Sometime at anchor when there is wave action the rods move enough to knock.

There is a manual lock process but it means going into the ER, starting the engine that runs the hydraulics, having someone at the PH controls press "center" then snag the manual lock. Pretty involved. Then I put a sign on the breaker panel to remind me to unlock them before we next set off.

Naiads have an auto lock but it wasn't installed on mine. I asked the yard if they could retro-fit them and they said no. Next up is to call Naiad direct and ask them if it is possible.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:16 AM   #11

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
...I can't hear the engines very well on the flybridge, they're ten feet below the helm under two floors and a layer of carpet. At idle I have to look at the tachs to make sure they're still running...
I have the opposite problem. If I could change one thing about my boat, would be to quiet it down. It's obnoxiously loud and has given guests headaches on longer trips. I think I need a tune up, the engines refuse to synch up and I get that ear peircing drone that cycles in and out
cool beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:50 AM   #12
Guru

City: Hampton Beach, NH
Vessel Name: Mischief Managed II
Vessel Model: 1992 Tollycraft 44 CPMY
My galley is too small. Most Tollycraft 44s came without a forward head shower stall. Ours has a nice shower in the forward head, but it dramatically reduces the volume and counterspace in the galley. We have been able to make do, and overnight guests really like the shower, so we'll probably leave it as is.
Mischief Managed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:50 AM   #13
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
The queen berth in the master stateroom is against the hull along one side. HATE IT

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:51 AM   #14
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
I just wish I could have afforded a newer version of our boat. At over 30 years, some systems are showing their age and being legacy equipment it’s sometimes hard to find knowledgeable techs.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:52 AM   #15
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
It's a tie between two things. Moving from the pilothouse door to the forward deck with a camera & large lens in one hand is awkward, and there is no steering station on the pilothouse roof. Both fixable.

I foresee a day when there's an extra bit of railing extending just past the pilothouse doors, and a basic steering station on the pilothouse roof (with a small seat on the saloon roof) so I can photograph in all directions while nosing the boat close to shore and/or rocks.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:08 AM   #16
Veteran Member

City: KENNEBUNKPORT
Vessel Name: Clairrann
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
I'm with Pete. I very much dislike the queen berth against the hull on one side. I get the inside and as those of us that are aging know sometimes you just have to get up in the middle of the night and I don't like having to crawl over my sleeping bride!
Scrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:23 AM   #17
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
That was one of the biggest reasons going up 4 feet to a 40 over a 36.

The other was galley down.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:24 AM   #18
Guru

City: West Coast
I don't hate anything, but there are a few configuration decisions I made (the boat is semi-custom) that I regret:

1. For the comfort of visiting couples, we put a queen bed in the forward stateroom. In retrospect, 4 bunks would have been better given that I use the boat mostly for multi-day fishing trips with guy friends. Since The mid-ship has 4 bunks and there are two more bunks in the crew quarters, we don't really need the extra sleeping space so my wife still thinks we made the right decision;

2. There is an interior stairway leading to the flybridge. It looks very nice but is unnecessary given the ladder aft and it chews up would would otherwise be a much larger galley table. As it is, the galley table only seats 4 comfortably, 6 with everyone shoulder to shoulder.

3. The bow thruster is electric -- I should have gone with hydraulic, on the windlass too. And the pump should have been on a PTO from a genset. I was persuaded that the cost and complexity (particularly since there are two gensets, so both should have been equipped with PTOs) wasn't warranted. And perhaps not.

4. Power is from the 660hp version of QSM 11s. The same engine is available in 715 hp (with a max rpm of 2500 vs 2300, all the extra power comes in the higher rpms) and 450 hp ("wet" turbo, rated for continuous duty at full hp). I knew I wouldn't use the extra power, but now realize I don't need / use more than 450 hp, and wish that I had opted for that.

On the other hand, some of my decisions were strongly advised against, but I have no regrets:

A. The flybridge has no eisenglass. Since we use the flybridge only in nice weather, we never have missed an enclosure.

B. Our galley cooktop is gas. Just like home, wouldn't have it any other way.

C. There is a table in the mezzanine deck with "Beni Hana" grills. Fears of people falling into a hot grill have not materialized, as we only use it in calm seas (and the boat is pretty stable).

D. My electronics are extensive. I know that when the time comes to sell that will put off some buyers, but I built the boat to enjoy myself, not for the next guy.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:25 AM   #19
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
1. its not self cleaning
2. its not in the Caribbean

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:46 AM   #20
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: Wish it was faster....always wish for faster...

Love our boats as they are, but.....

We're going to want to do the loop again in two or three years and early thinking about another loop boat. Last time did it in a Sunseeker Manhattan 65. Loved it, but.......based on some other factors not in a race to head back to Sunseeker, even though may have to. Sunseeker Manhattan 66 is a possible.

Want, 65-70' LOA, flybridge, air draft reducible to 19'. Water draft limit of 5'. Seating in bow. Three cabins plus another sleeping area whether crew cabin or pull out or something for possible seventh person, but six minimum. Cruise speed must exceed 20 knots and ideal is WOT of 30+ and cruise in upper 20's. Upper and lower helm.

Last time those that came closest without making the final cut were some of the Grand Banks (company was in turmoil), Hatteras 60 (no lower helm, noise), Sea Ray L 65 Fly (quality issues, now discontinued), Coastal Craft (model now discontinued), Fleming (two slow), Fountaine Pajot (two slow, cramped, wide). Almost went for a custom build. The perpetual story of a search for a perfect boat.

Isn't that what this thread is all about for all of us, always something to make our near perfect boat, perfect.

A Loop boat has always been the most difficult for us to find as we looked several years last time.

Always thinking years ahead. I'm sure when I'm 100 years old, will be thinking of next boat or perhaps hospital on board.

Maybe a spray system to disinfect upon push of button and protect against Covid 19?

It's always fun to dream about boats, any boats, all boats, and what we'd change. What silly whining we do sometimes. I'd just give anything to be able to get out and cruise. Meanwhile so many others would give anything for family members back, for jobs, for avoiding eviction.

So back to work, yes I do work occasionally right now while cruising is out. Got some hiring to follow up on as we add people.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote