Name Change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KEVMAR

Vessel Name
Delphina
Vessel Make
President 43
We decided on a name for our new to us boat in July . we did the christening as per the rules. Since then we have decided that the name is really not what we want. Can we change the name agin and go through the christening once again of is there some superstition that would prevent it ?? thank you for your thoughts

It all depends on your belief system. Christening is to infer Christianity, which has no such writing regarding this superstition. In fact, if you asked Rome, I suspect they'd indicate that this belief is heresy, since the superstition infers the wrath of Poseidon or Neptune

So then, what god's wrath are you fearing?

There’s a bunch on the internet but, yes you can. It’s all very official and legal like and not to be trifled with. You must have a denaming ceremony to remove the name from the Ledger of the Deep and/or remove the name from the memory of Poseidon or Neptune, whichever party you belong to. There’s a pretty strict procedure for prepping the boat too. Then do a renaming ceremony. There was some superstition about renaming under the same owner but I believe the denaming ceremony will protect you.

I didn't do the Neptune/Poiseidon thing when I renamed my boat. I wish I had, I really like the idea, though I don't put a lot of stock in it.

Neptune/Poseidon has been good to me and the boat since I renamed it. I wonder if I should do it this summer. Better late than never, right?

pete

We just change the name and move on. Don’t forget to file a name change with the CG if the boat is documented. That is the worst part...

Kevmar,
Under normal circumstances (no pandemic), a denaming ceremony followed by a renaming ceremony is a great excuse to have friends over, have some fun with the ceremonies, and indulge in some adult beverages and the "breaking of bread".

Not advised now (obviously). Unless you are superstitious it would seem a bit strange to go through all of that with no one there (at least to me)??
However, if you want an example of these ceremonies, search "John Vigor" ceremonies on the web.

We just change the name and move on. Don’t forget to file a name change with the CG if the boat is documented. That is the worst part...

Great advise,

The Coastguards wrath is way worse than Poseidon's

We just change the name and move on, have not had a issue.. ever.

Oh and we further temp fate by leaving on voyages on Friday's too!

Remember that in old times Sailors were a superstitious bunch and thought Neptune or Poseidon or some pissed off Mermaid would do nasty deeds to them like summon the Krakken or some other unnamed sea serpent.
HOLLYWOOD

We just change the name and move on. Don’t forget to file a name change with the CG if the boat is documented.
I've done this on 10 boats since 1995 and no problems with Poiseidon or Neptune.:ermm:

Last edited:
And remember to get a tattoo with your boat name, so if you go overboard the rescuers will know which deck to toss you back on.

We decided on a name for our new to us boat in July . we did the christening as per the rules. Since then we have decided that the name is really not what we want. Can we change the name agin and go through the christening once again of is there some superstition that would prevent it ?? thank you for your thoughts

Do NOT listen to these non-believers! You will be sorry.:eek::D

First you must strike the old boat name from the boat and all documents.

You can have the new name on the boat, but it must not be visible until the ceremony. Also prepare a metal tag with the old boat name (for the ceremony).

Here is the procedures:

https://www.boatsafe.com/renaming-boat/

Oh and we further temp fate by leaving on voyages on Friday's too!

You are BRAVE!

Don't tell me you also bring bananas aboard and - gasp! - allow women, too!

:rofl:

The only time we changed a boat's name we dispensed with any ceremony because I'm sure the boat itself and the entire Greek and Roman pantheons were relieved that we ditched the previous name.

(El Patron Del Mal)

I'm not a big name change guy. I like older, vintage boats and they usually come with a story and a soul.

That said, when we purchased our 1970 Willard 36, the previous owners made the mistake of allowing their 11-year old daughter name the boat. Somehow, I could not imagine going through boating life with VHF hailing "Shy Platypus standing by one-six. 'Sierra-hotel-Yankee.....'". So we renamed her "Weebles," after the children's toy which seemed appropriate for a displacement hull ("Weebles wobble but they don't fall down")

A year later, I met the owner of Willard who was in his 70s at the time. He remembered my boat well - a friend of his had the boat built and he uses to join the boat owner on fishing trips out of Newport Beach. He was so impressed with the boat that he bought Willard Marine in the early 1970s. I guess the boat was locally well known as the owner belonged to the Newport Beach yacht club and served as committee boat on their annual Newport to Ensenada sailboat race. So I have a small plaque and a 20-foot long pennant that would be flown from the mast head.

As you can see from the 1970 pictured attached, she was originally launched as Taras, some sort of Greek God. Had I known her rich history and the soul of the boat, would have renamed her back to the original Taras. I guess VHF use is waning, but I'm still partial to short names.

I still like the name Weebles and will keep it. But underneath, I continue to pause and honor her lineage and original name. No superstition here, just recognition that boats have history and provenance and are the product of passion and dreams that are enriched over time.

Chose wisely. Cutesy names are cute for about a month. That said, my favorite cutesy name is "Never Again II." taras_1__01.jpeg

Definitely do the ceremony. As a boater you want ALL the luck you can get.
:thumb:

When choosing a new name, may I suggest you practice a "Mayday" call. Give the mic to the Admiral (Radio off of course) and have her repeat your new name three times and practice a call.

You will know very quickly if you have a suitable name. (Wet Dream is not one of them!)

When choosing a new name, may I suggest you practice a "Mayday" call. Give the mic to the Admiral (Radio off of course) and have her repeat your new name three times and practice a call.

You will know very quickly if you have a suitable name. (Wet Dream is not one of them!)

Great advice. My wife and I said every name on our short list out loud before choosing.

Excellent advice. We were returning across the English Channel to Portsmouth when the CG radioed asking for anyone near Chichester to help vessel 'Plonker', a speedboat which had run out of fuel. After the initial call, all further comms from the CG were addressed as, 'The Plonker'. Just brilliant. I suspect the name was changed very quickly after that....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom