My take on a Ranger Tug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What genny did the Ranger have?

As I said, I now realize there are other boats that are a lot sturdier, a lot more 'seaworthy' and one day I hope to get one.

But for now I like the option of being able to tow my Ranger back to the Great Lakes if I decide the PNW is not where I want to live for the rest of my life. I'm still new here. A lot to like, but a few things not to like as well.

Like gas at $1.65 a liter lol.

But if I decide to stay here, yeah, I'm pretty sure a bigger, slower, more efficient, more roomy, more seaworthy trawler will be a must.

Jim,

I think you will love the Ranger Tug. Most owners of them that I know are deliriously happy with them. They are a great boat for the Salish Sea where you can choose your weather and can avoid rough seas with some simple planning. There are times when the speed would be super nice.

I feel a lot safer with a kicker that I can start in seconds and that I can control from the helm than calling for help on my radio while I watch the wind, waves and current push me to shore.

I guess I'm the worrying type.

Seems like a very small investment for peace of mind imo.

Good to know the tow services can reach you quickly in the PNW though. I did see a few C-Tow boats in marinas on my travels.

There are many of us who have a single engine and no kicker and seem to survive just fine. Where I boat, tow boats are plentiful and responsive as well as fellow boaters. If I was being pushed to shore I could always drop anchor and wait. There is nowhere nearby that I know of where I could be in 100's of feet of water as I am about to hit land. A kicker is a good backup I guess for the one time you may need it in the life of your boat. But it comes with added cost, weight, maintenance, space required, fuel, etc. I might justify it in remote areas w/o any help nearby, but otherwise I'm fine w/o one. In a lifetime of boating I called for a tow once. Even then, I was not in danger and could have managed by sailing if really needed.

Last edited:
Around here in Cape Ann ( between Boston and NH ) there are TONS of Lobster boats that go out everyday year round with single engines, and these are not brand new boats that have been babied all their lives. They are run hard.

Good point. I'd consider the kicker motor a luxury and mostly unnecessary unless you are far from help as I said earlier. I'd rather not have an extra motor to deal with and maintain. If I wanted that I would have bought a twin engine boat.

Good point. I'd consider the kicker motor a luxury and mostly unnecessary unless you are far from help as I said earlier. I'd rather not have an extra motor to deal with and maintain. If I wanted that I would have bought a twin engine boat.

I feel the same, but nothing wrong with hanging a kicker off the stern. We all have our own belt and suspender approaches. I keep paper charts on board for example, despite having two separate electronic versions. If Jim wants a get home option, nothing wrong with it.

The reasons to not have or need a kicker make perfect sense. You have to remember, I come from inland lake boating, and have never used an anchor in my life. There's always a dock. If you break down, which happens once every few years (usually fuel) you grab a paddle and steer your 22 ft bowrider to the nearest dock, and call for help which is 200 yards away.

I was picturing heading up the Johnstone Strait and having a failure, being alone, and then what? Of course, I see if you have a proper anchor and skills you can regain control.

But the lakes I am used to (Muskoka, Georgian Bay) had a LOT of rocks, which I guess is not nearly as big an issue out here.

Anyway, I have ordered the kicker, I think I'll keep it, even though it makes dinghy storage and handling even more complicated. I just think for a newbie like me, it might be a little easier.

But I'll give it some more thought. My boat is still a long way from the start of the build.

If it makes you feel better then go for it. Personally I don't think it's worth it, especially on a new boat with an OB. But that's just my opinion, everyone has one. Like most things there is not one absolute right or wrong answer. I wonder if a dinghy outboard could be mounted in the kicker location in case of emergency? Wouldn't get you far or fast, but might keep you off the rocks or whatever. I don't see having an extra motor making it easier for a newbie. It more complication and another system to deal with, maintain, etc. If it's worth the peace of mind then by all means get it. I also wonder if there are other options you are not spending money on that might make more sense. Anyway it's your decision, so only you can decide what's the right thing for you.

Yeah I was thinking along those lines. If I could get dual duty out of a second motor, it would make a lot more sense. On the Ranger having a kicker really makes the dinghy awkward. So there's more to it that just extra cost and maintenance.

My past Yamaha OB was incredibly reliable, so I do think it's overkill.

But I am definitely an overkill kind of person.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom