I dump my sewage pretty much anywhere when no one is looking. 4 4.82%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2017, 11:21 AM   #101
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: If you call law abiding boaters goody goodies, then goody goody gumdrops I'm happy to be one.

And if not for environmentalists, you'd really be living in a much worse world today. Had we not done anything as far as protecting and cleaning our air and water, just think where we would be today. Without Catalytic Converters our major cities would not be livable (would be like Beijing and our waters would be like Brazil or Flint) and, we'd still be paying the cost, just in medical expenses instead of pollution protection.

I don't suggest for one moment that all the regulations make sense or do what they're supposed to or that we have a fix on handling our sewage or anything else, but I will do my little part and I will dump only legally and if that offends you and merits me the name goody goody, then I've been called much worse.

Back to dumping sewage from the boat, I follow the laws. Simple.

You are being presumptuous! Nowhere have I taken a position against protecting the environmental laws only radical environmental laws. Take the time to read my very many posts pertaining to my willingness to spend $3-4K for waste processing equipment that will allow dumping anywhere.

I am not in your choir, so don't preach to me!
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:23 AM   #102

City: Albany, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Tranquility
Vessel Model: Trojan F32
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
I think that your poll needs a few more options to fully capture the situation. We never pump sewage overboard in bays and inlets like Narragansett or the Ct River. But I do pump overboard in the middle of LI Sound. A related poll might be: Do you have a functioning pump out nearby?

No name ;-)
The States of New York and Connecticut, with the approval of the Environmental Protection Agency, have established a No-Discharge Zone (NDZ) in Long Island Sound and a portion of the East River, extending from the Hell Gate Bridge in the west to Block Island Sound in the east (see charts 12339 and 13205 for limits).

(14) Within the NDZ, discharge of sewage, whether treated or untreated, from all vessels is prohibited. Outside the NDZ, discharge of sewage is regulated by 40 CFR 140(see chapter 2).
kenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:38 PM   #103
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
There are no benefits that I see to absorbing both the purchase and installation cost of a type 1 system. And you still confuse me with your above post

"So NDZSs affect few rec boaters unless they have or want to purchase a type 1."

We agreed that this system does not allow dumping so why spend the money for it?
No, we agree that a type 1 system doesn't allow dumping in a NDZ. Everywhere else in inland waters it DOES allow overboard discharge of treated waste.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:25 PM   #104
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
The next time you find yourself in Massachusetts waters, please feel free to visit FairHaven Harbor. There you will find smiling faces ready and willing that provide free waste pumpouts.

Free yes, but they only pump Saturday, Sunday and holiday mornings between 9AM and 1PM. Now of course you may need to wait if you arrive at other times. There in the Harbor you will find moorings plentiful for your wait
Quote:
Consider areas where there are over 1000 pleasure boats docked/moored such as the town where I dock. It provides only 4 hours both Saturday & Sunday mornings plus another 4 hours for holidays for pumping. Bang the drum all you want, respond with suggested solutions.....hire more people, increase taxes do what is necessary. Better still, save the money and just ban recreational boating. Folks, we do not live in Utopia!

Happy flushing! And I do have a 40 gallon holding tank that gets pumped!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
You are saying that approx every other marina in New England -- or at least 2-3 out of every 5 -- doesn't have a pump out facility? Subsidized installation, low cost to boaters?
Quote:
HOLD ON THERE RANGER! Please provide a quote where I said/made that assumption
Thought that's what you meant in your posts 79 and 90, above.

??

Or did you mean in the end of post 90 that you DO routinely discharge at pump-out facilities?

I interpreted your previous comments to mean a) you're surrounded by NDZs, b) there aren't many pump-out facilities, and c) you routinely pump overboard.

No?

Oh, and a treatment system wouldn't be useful for you because you're always in an NDZ. (I think everyone got that part...) And that therefore a treatment system wouldn't be useful for anyone anywhere.

No?

-Chris
Old 04-04-2017, 01:27 PM   #105
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Some here are wearing blinders on several points.

If you live aboard in a coastal zone that is not a NDZ and there are no pumpouts nearby that regularly work or are regularly manned or are inexpensine...or are a cruiser who doesnt feel lIke pulling the hook from a great anchorage to find a pump out station...a type 1 makes some sense and probably why they are sold and used.

For all those that only see the world though their own narrow blinders...have fun beating to death a horse that the average boater does understand.

My type 1 cost about $1500 total with wiring and plumbing.....well worth it to me as pumpouts aren't close by.....both in terms of payoff and plain old aggravation for not moving.

If I home ported in a NDZ, I might not have gone for it, but in the long run maybe I would have for previous reasons stated.

But I am not so presumptuous to say what is right for me is right for others based on loads of bad info.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:55 PM   #106
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Thought that's what you meant in your posts 79 and 90, above.

??

Or did you mean in the end of post 90 that you DO routinely discharge at pump-out facilities?

I interpreted your previous comments to mean a) you're surrounded by NDZs, b) there aren't many pump-out facilities, and c) you routinely pump overboard.

No?

Oh, and a treatment system wouldn't be useful for you because you're always in an NDZ. (I think everyone got that part...) And that therefore a treatment system wouldn't be useful for anyone anywhere.

No?

-Chris

Chris--- Of course all ports have pumpouts around here and I assume in most harbors. I know of none that charge for this service although I typically tip the pumper $5. Here is the problem at least from my perspective pertaining to my locale. Pumpouts occur, most by reservation and only twice during weekends plus holidays. All are done between 9AM and 1PM. But I would not hesitate to take emergency action if a problem occurred while we are well out of the harbor. Never in any harbor, that would be ludicrous.

But think about it. A town with well over 1000 recreational boats with only 8 hours of pumping/week. Try the math. I firmly believe it is discouraging.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:57 PM   #107
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
But think about it. A town with well over 1000 recreational boats with only 8 hours of pumping/week. Try the math. I firmly believe it is discouraging.
I agree completely with you here.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:22 PM   #108
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
[Quote] Originally Posted by foggysail
But think about it. A town with well over 1000 recreational boats with only 8 hours of pumping/week. Try the math. I firmly believe it is discouraging. [Quote]

Let's substitute the word impossible!

If that is so in your area... why is there not a mobile pump-out service boat in that area making oodles of cash? I know pump-out service businesses that make good income. They service boats while in slips or at anchor or on mooring. Some boat owners have pre-scheduled pump-outs that can be done between cruises while no one is aboard. Mobile business also answers phone calls for those who have need while anchored.

One guy has two pump boats running. Brand new one he purchased last year was specially designed to best perform that service... I'd place its new build value in the 150K range. Nice boat... about 24' long with BIG Merc o/b to push it fast to next pump-out need and great suction engine for quick pump-out.

His service to us while anchored is $45 for 30 gal tank. Takes him about ten minutes from time he arrives till he leaves. Expensive compared to free pump at gas dock - when there is a pump hose available! But great to have access to when out and anchored for extended days of fun! For larger tanks he charges more than our 30 gal black-water tank. Friend of ours has 250 gal tank. Costs him $200. Pump boat is still completed in about 30 minutes. Pretty good money to be made with mobile pump-out boat!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:38 PM   #109
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Politics and laws...

I would imagine that someone would be making easy money if it was so easy....there are lots of smart people on both coasts.

It is increadible what roadblocks that could be there....even if California is crazy wit laws.the politics back east are only bested for corruption by Louisiana and a few gulf Coast neighbors in my experience.....

And at $200 a pumpout for bigger tanks, a pretty good reason to spring for a type 1 unless you are in an NDZ.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:55 PM   #110
Guru

This thread has pooped me out......... time for a rest
Old 04-04-2017, 08:44 PM   #111
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Politics and laws...

I would imagine that someone would be making easy money if it was so easy....there are lots of smart people on both coasts.

It is increadible what roadblocks that could be there....even if California is crazy wit laws.the politics back east are only bested for corruption by Louisiana and a few gulf Coast neighbors in my experience.....

And at $200 a pumpout for bigger tanks, a pretty good reason to spring for a type 1 unless you are in an NDZ.
Yes - We are deep in the 1000 miles of SF Delta sloughs... all NDZ.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:09 PM   #112
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Yes - We are deep in the 1000 miles of SF Delta sloughs... all NDZ.
Entering the Delta: