Old 03-29-2017, 10:36 PM   #41
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
I remember using one some time ago and the smell would make me give up boating
What would be the anchorage etiquette on using the Incinolet ?
IRENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:30 PM   #42
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
We have a pump out service every month. We spend a lot of time in our runabout too though and have to pee off the stern.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:04 AM   #43
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old deckhand View Post
Straight flush always beats a full house.
Heeeeeeeeeee he!!!
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:23 AM   #44
Al
Guru

Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Well Deckhand you are in Sitka and I in Ketchikan. Join in reviewing the following from the 'Poll' data.

I never dump any sewage illegally, regardless of the inconvenience. 34 69.39%

How many visiting yachts have you witnessed pulling up to what ever and where ever, your Sitka pump out station is located? Damn few would be my guess. That is the case her in Ketchikan. Hell were one to pull up and ask for the service the harbor department would have to first fine the instructions!!.

I the 15 years that I have traveled to Wrangell to play golf, staying at the dock within 150 feet at the most distance mooring and within 50 feet the closest averaging 7 such voyages to the town, I have see only ONE visiting Krogen pull up and pump out, ONE.
Had the ‘Poll’ not included ‘NEVER’ in the question, guilt could be masked with the above answer. As the responses are anonymous, who's to know?
So then how can 70% of any audience, a percentage of boats visiting Alaska having by just the shear percentage, state thus? They can’t, there are not enough pump out stations tween Seattle/Ketchikan/Sitka to have complied with this poll’s statics.

Now I don't have any issue or complaint with pumping overboard macerated waste. It is pure and provides feed for all sorts of marine life. It is the unabashed fibbing that is the bother. Call this a un-provable charge on my part, that or none of the 70% have ever come to Alaska. Of those that claim to, none have crossed my travels or been witnessed using the pump out facilities.

Al-Ketchikan
Old 03-30-2017, 06:33 AM   #45
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
I think it's the same 60% who said they would NEVER vote for Trump.
Perfect analogy for this topic, actually.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:40 AM   #46
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Our boat only has a 15-gallon holding tank--one of the few design flaws I can point to. So I bought, but have not yet installed, a Purasan MSD. Otherwise, we pump out . . . a lot.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:48 AM   #47
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Well Deckhand you are in Sitka and I in Ketchikan. Join in reviewing the following from the 'Poll' data.

I never dump any sewage illegally, regardless of the inconvenience. 34 69.39%

How many visiting yachts have you witnessed pulling up to what ever and where ever, your Sitka pump out station is located? Damn few would be my guess. That is the case her in Ketchikan. Hell were one to pull up and ask for the service the harbor department would have to first fine the instructions!!.

I the 15 years that I have traveled to Wrangell to play golf, staying at the dock within 150 feet at the most distance mooring and within 50 feet the closest averaging 7 such voyages to the town, I have see only ONE visiting Krogen pull up and pump out, ONE.
Had the ‘Poll’ not included ‘NEVER’ in the question, guilt could be masked with the above answer. As the responses are anonymous, who's to know?
So then how can 70% of any audience, a percentage of boats visiting Alaska having by just the shear percentage, state thus? They can’t, there are not enough pump out stations tween Seattle/Ketchikan/Sitka to have complied with this poll’s statics.

Now I don't have any issue or complaint with pumping overboard macerated waste. It is pure and provides feed for all sorts of marine life. It is the unabashed fibbing that is the bother. Call this a un-provable charge on my part, that or none of the 70% have ever come to Alaska. Of those that claim to, none have crossed my travels or been witnessed using the pump out facilities.

Al-Ketchikan
Never was intentional but the next two choices were to cover many who live in areas like Alaska. I know it's easier in many other areas. Now, I also see Ketchikan and Sitka as very different. From Sitka it's very easy to go three miles offshore, from Ketchikan, not the same.

We did cruise through Alaska in 2014 and noticed the lack of functioning pump outs. We did have a Type II MSD so compliance there was easy for us. That's how we stayed in the "Never" group.

The vast majority of people here though have never been to Alaska. I don't think people are fibbing, just boat in different waters. If we had a slow boat with a small holding tank and didn't have an MSD and cruised the inland passage, at some point there would be no choice in all likelihood but to discharge while cruising. If you're cruising the ICW on the East Coast, there would never be a reason to do anything but pump out. And going three miles offshore would always be an option.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:11 AM   #48
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Pumpout, if available. Dump 3nm off shore or in the current in B.C. The pumpout in Juneau is brand new and only saw 1 boat use it. I asked the captain how it was working. She said great! I said funny, I told her she was the first one to use it. The look on her face was priceless...
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:20 AM   #49
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Sure glad I opened this thread just so I didn't miss that.
You should get a prize for same.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:44 AM   #50
Al
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Sure glad I opened this thread just so I didn't miss that.
You should get a prize for same.
Has to be a winner, Eric and I seemingly appreciate the humor.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:45 PM   #51
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
We keep our boat in The St. Lucie River. I have to admit, I feel pretty foolish using a pump out when you look at the disgraceful level of pollution coming down the river from Lake O, the Sugar Barons and our politicians who are in their pocket.

The river is a little better than it was last summer, but it's still really bad. I could pump all 40 gallons of my tank out every single day and it wouldn't make a darn bit of difference. Every boat in the river could, honestly.

I don't though.

But we do pump overboard in The Bahamas. It's the only choice.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:46 PM   #52
Guru

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
We have been dumping directly overboard for over a year. Only game in town. The worse is the Marina environment. I would love to hold it all and dump elsewhere, but can't hold enough.

Getting used to it finally. If I feel bad, I just find the local sewage pipe outlet dumping right into the water. No treatment plants down here. Hell, I've lost count of the outhouses at the end of the piers even.

The worse is the boaters (derelicts) that don't use macerators, instead into a bucket then overboard. Ickk! Its just a nasty visual reminder.

Funny, I've been in what would be described as some of the nicest water for some time now, and everyone dumps overboard. At home in the Chesapeake, water not so nice, and pump outs mandatory. Hmmmm

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:03 PM   #53
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
I was compelled to be truthful in the survey. Voted: I have dumped sewage that wasn't fully treated illegally.

On occasion, when in the boonies, I have peed off the swim platform. Just cause I could. I know it's a criminal act. Worse, I'm not even repentant.

Other than that, even in blue water where it's demonstrably legal, I don't pump overboard. In these parts and my type of boat use and holding tank capacity, pumpout access is not an issue.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:44 AM   #54
FF
Guru

We pump out where there is a log kept of our use and we list it in our ships log .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:16 AM   #55

City: Chesapeake Bay
Don't Pooh In the Blue !
In our area oysters filter the water and we eat them [emoji6]
ChesapeakeGem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:14 AM   #56
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
............ On occasion, when in the boonies, I have peed off the swim platform. Just cause I could. I know it's a criminal act. ................
You didn't read the posts above about peeing and pooping directly into the water, did you?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:32 AM   #57
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
I think it's the same 60% who said they would NEVER vote for Trump.
In this thread he'd be called "Pump" lol

BTW - He does smell!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:42 AM   #58
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Forward head is for all "black" excrement, it has 30 gal holding tank with no exit off boat except to pump out.

Rear head has Lectro San. Only used for pee - in legal waters of course!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:04 AM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Straight overboard is the normal in the eastern Caribbean. We are one of the minority of boats that has a holding tank.

I haven't seen a pump out facility down here in the years I have been here. Must be one somewhere.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:26 AM   #60
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Straight overboard is the normal in the eastern Caribbean. We are one of the minority of boats that has a holding tank.

I haven't seen a pump out facility down here in the years I have been here. Must be one somewhere.
Where are you in the eastern Caribbean? The major marinas on the major islands all seemed to have them. I think if I recall though you're further south.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote