I have dumped sewage that wasn't fully treated illegally. 19 22.89%
I dump my sewage pretty much anywhere when no one is looking. 4 4.82%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2017, 04:48 PM   #21
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
When in Puget Sound, always use pumpouts. When in BC, we pump overboard while travelling in deep water with good currents and well offshore.
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:52 PM   #22
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
When we first bought our boat the previous owner told me that he kept the boat set up with one head as a "pee toilet" that went directly overboard ... and the 2nd head went to the holding tank. He also told me that although no one talked about it, a lot of the other people in the marina did the same. I've always been curious if that was a common practice anywhere else.
I have never hear of this. Of course my boat and most of my friend's boats have only one head. Or none.

What I have heard of, which sounds both stupid and gross to me is, putting used toilet paper in a plastic bag, not flushing it, and then carrying it around on the boat until they get back to the marina.

Peeing into a toilet that dumps directly overboard is illegal. Peeing directly overboard without going through a toilet (or bucket or funnel) first is not.

Figure that one out.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:50 PM   #23
Guru

City: Tavernier, FL
Vessel Name: Volans
Vessel Model: 2001 PDQ MV 32
The only time I turned on the macerator for overboard discharge(20+ miles off the east coast) I burnt up the pump!

Now we have a new through hull, a new macerator, but I haven't gotten around to buying the little bit of hose needed to connect the two since we've always pumped out at whatever marina we're in... probably never will...
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:03 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
Thanks for that! Now I know too much ��!
You California boys don't have to concern yourself with winterizing . We've had a mild winter and have been down to the boat a bunch . We're at a state park and they usually don't get the pump out ready until sometime in April .
Old 03-27-2017, 07:23 PM   #25

City: Orange Beach, AL
Well a choice is missing. We dump legally 12+ miles offshore if needed. Otherwise it's a pump out.
hjorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:25 PM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjorgan View Post
Well a choice is missing. We dump legally 12+ miles offshore if needed. Otherwise it's a pump out.
That is choice #1, you never dump illegally.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:48 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Here in Queensland the rules are complicated. Part of them is covered in the attached doc.

Marina's are required to provide sewage facilities, but having onshore facilities meets that requirement. They usually require key access so are not always accessible. There are only 33 marinas listed with pumpouts in the State. I would think this is a lot less than half the number of marinas. I have never used a pumpout since bringing my boat back home to Queensland.

I have an ElectroScan and use it as much as possible. However, I believe it would only be regarded as Class B provided it was regularly tested by an independent certifier. There is not much to be gained from that certification for my area of operation, so from a legal perspective its output is considered untreated sewage. Thus even using it I have to follow the limits for untreated sewage. The distance limit gained would vary up to a max of 1nm.

Fortunately there are places I can legally discharge untreated sewage en route to my favourite anchorages. Annoyingly, one of those anchorages permits untreated discharge. I never discharge there and I hope that other boaters do likewise!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pdf_sewleg_compliance_other_than_declared (1).pdf (2.94 MB, 23 views)
Old 03-27-2017, 07:59 PM   #28

City: Baltimore, MD
Vessel Name: Starshine
Vessel Model: 1989 Bayliner 3288
I hold and treat. Usually hold in marinas and anchorages and then treat a discharge when under way.
johnrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:29 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrupp View Post
I hold and treat. Usually hold in marinas and anchorages and then treat a discharge when under way.
Thats what we have.

Turn it to no discharge in tha harbopr, and set it to auto when we leave.

Flush and forget.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:59 PM   #30
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I would think unless someone cruises offshore a lot or has a type 1 MSD, the answers will come back as pumpout heavy...

Unless a bunch want to declare they are breaking the law.....
I think it's the same 60% who said they would NEVER vote for Trump.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:26 AM   #31
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old deckhand View Post
Straight flush always beats a full house.
good one
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:51 AM   #32
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Never discharged overboard since we've been boating (about 40 years). Always pump out.
That will change if you ever go to the Bahamas.

At least most any place there but say Atlantis or Albany.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:19 AM   #33
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Here in Queensland the rules are complicated. Part of them is covered in the attached doc.

Marina's are required to provide sewage facilities, but having onshore facilities meets that requirement. They usually require key access so are not always accessible. There are only 33 marinas listed with pumpouts in the State. I would think this is a lot less than half the number of marinas. I have never used a pumpout since bringing my boat back home to Queensland.

I have an ElectroScan and use it as much as possible. However, I believe it would only be regarded as Class B provided it was regularly tested by an independent certifier. There is not much to be gained from that certification for my area of operation, so from a legal perspective its output is considered untreated sewage. Thus even using it I have to follow the limits for untreated sewage. The distance limit gained would vary up to a max of 1nm.

Fortunately there are places I can legally discharge untreated sewage en route to my favourite anchorages. Annoyingly, one of those anchorages permits untreated discharge. I never discharge there and I hope that other boaters do likewise!
Brian, as you say, the rules, and enforcement of them are an absolute joke here in Queensland. I went to all the trouble to install a holding tank etc when I put in a new electric toilet, only to find that the marinas were not required to put in pump-out facilities, (brilliant) so of course ours didn't, and the nearest facility is way North at Manly, or way South at the Gold Coast at Runaway Bay, I think. So, to discharge our tank, would take me 2 hours travel to get to an area considered open water enough to do it legally. I also found the macerator pump which was supposed to be self priming, wasn't, even though way less than the metre above the tank it claimed to be self-priming. In the end, like 90% of fellow boaters I was forced to pump out technically illegally, (as far away from anchorages etc as possible - don't ask how I had to prime the non-self-priming pump), which I was not comfortable with, even though many boaters here just pump out directly over the side wherever they are. In the end it bothered me so much, as that toilet, tank, and bloody associated pumps gave me more grief than anything else on the boat, I ripped the toilet out (carefully), blanked off all the hoses, closed the seacocks, and I have installed a portable toilet (securely) we can legally dump legally (treated), or put it down the toilets at the marina. Blissful siimplicity and I'm legal...
Old 03-28-2017, 04:39 AM   #34
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
I dump all sewage right into the bay, but first goes through the Lectrasan, so it is sterilized..
One dump nutrient equivalence is 4 oak leaves.
No holding tank, no associated odors, for me ideal.

http://www.raritaneng.com/pdf_files/.../L270v0404.pdf

Mine was installed in 1978, has the manual rotary timer and still works.
I replaced the fuses inside the timer control with self resetting breakers.

Have had to replace the titanium electrolyzer plate thing one time. That specific electrode draws 18 amps when working properly, minus the two mixing motors.

one flaw is the old meter magnet displaying the amps used looses strength with age, which I talked to Vic at Raritan about before he retired. You can pull off the meter cover and twist the needle adjustment higher. Someday I may look into fixing the amp meter. I put an amp meter inline with the titanium electrode to monitor the amps used.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:01 AM   #35
Guru

City: Sydney
In general it better to chemically treat sewage before dumping ?
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:44 AM   #36
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
In general it better to chemically treat sewage before dumping ?
The electroscan type MSDs are basically just forming a sort of chlorine out of saltwater.....and they are certified because of the size of solids dumped and bacteria count.

If you macerator and add clorice to your discharge, you are doing the same but it is not certified....

So I wouldn't use a holding tank chemical to hold down odors....too many useless chemicals for dumping....but the same amount of chlorine bleach or pool tablets to sterilize your drinking water tanks would seem approriate...as long as the contact period was long enough and the solids were broken up like in the electroscans that mix them during treatment.

Not too much chlorine as small quantities dissapates quickly, a lot might be harmful.

I would not try and substitute a homemade type 1 MSD, but a touch of bleach before you dump is probably benificial.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:55 AM   #37
Veteran Member

City: Rockport, Ontario
Vessel Model: 1986 Oceania 35 Sundeck
As far as I know, you cannot dump overboard in inland waters or indicated harbours, bays or other sites on saltwater. Otherwise, dumping in tidal waters is permitted.
Oceania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:03 AM   #38
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceania View Post
As far as I know, you cannot dump overboard in inland waters or indicated harbours, bays or other sites on saltwater. Otherwise, dumping in tidal waters is permitted.
In the US.....there are 2 kinds of dumping....treated and untreated...and there are restrictions on that vary based on where you boat.....but tidal waters is not a consideration for the most part.

And if people here think it is clearly understood by more than a handful of boaters, some environmentalists, a few at marine sanitation manufacturers and a few in government.....ha!

Even on my recent USCG boardings I had to explain the MSD rules.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:55 AM   #39
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
I dump all sewage right into the bay, but first goes through the Lectrasan, so it is sterilized..
One dump nutrient equivalence is 4 oak leaves.
No holding tank, no associated odors, for me ideal.

http://www.raritaneng.com/pdf_files/.../L270v0404.pdf

Mine was installed in 1978, has the manual rotary timer and still works.
I replaced the fuses inside the timer control with self resetting breakers.

Have had to replace the titanium electrolyzer plate thing one time. That specific electrode draws 18 amps when working properly, minus the two mixing motors.

one flaw is the old meter magnet displaying the amps used looses strength with age, which I talked to Vic at Raritan about before he retired. You can pull off the meter cover and twist the needle adjustment higher. Someday I may look into fixing the amp meter. I put an amp meter inline with the titanium electrode to monitor the amps used.
Are you saying you don't have a holding tank or you don't use it? There are areas with no discharge rules where you'd have real problems if checked if you don't have a holding tank.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:40 PM   #40

City: Knoxville
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Vessel Model: 08 Meridian 490 Pilothouse
We are on the Tennessee River “no discharge”. We have a weekly pump out service in our slip and or pump out at the gas docks (free), which we use when returning after special events or long weekends. Never had a compelling reason to discharged black water.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote