My Perfect Vessel. Lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish Catcher Jim

I figured out what my "Perfect" trawler would be. ( LOL )

Rub Rail Up
Kadey Krogen 44

Rub Rail Down
Great Harbour N

Seriously though can't beat an N's bottom with the twin protected keels.

The flow of the KK 39 / 44 is hard to beat.

39 KK does have a sweet engine room but being a single and one keel - can't beach them and wait for tide as easy. Not that you want to.

If the T.T Would have had a better WA design - well it would work well.

One Day we will find our - that's it trawler.

Have a great weekend!!

I’m looking for a 41’ carver cockpit motor yacht deck and interior on a Single engine Mainship hull and engine room. Oh, in perfect condition and nearly free. Finder’s fee offered.

I’m looking for a 41’ carver cockpit motor yacht deck and interior on a Single engine Mainship hull and engine room. Oh, in perfect condition and nearly free. Finder’s fee offered.

Well at least I am not alone in wanting what they don't make.

There are so many that make one want to just jump on in but I am a little older now and really don't enjoy playing "contortionist" crawling around an engine room.

Looked at a few outboard powered ones but if they are of any size then your running twin 350's or larger and the fuel consumption just doesn't factor in!!

I know my post might seem off the wall some what - however sometimes they bring results you never thought of!!

;) Happy Hunting

Some TFers believe they already have the "perfect" boat, for them; knowing all boats are compromises. And then there are those that change boats nearly as often as their engine oil.

LOL I do agree!!
For us it's quite simply - what will work best for years of FT living.
Don't mind upgrades and remodels over the years but changing Vessels over and over is something we really are not interested in.

The perfect boat is always 8 to 10’ longer... we’ll actually 17’ longer and it is a 58 Hatteras LRC. Problem is my wife doesn’t like the boat.

Last edited:
If you don’t like looking at it, you’ll never enjoy working on it. It should put a smile on your face every time you walk up. If it doesn’t it’s time for a change.

The perfect boat is always 8 to 10’ longer... we’ll actually 17’ longer and it is a 58 Hatteras LRC. Problem is my wife doesn’t like the boat.

That is a problem at that.
Perhaps you can find some things about the boat she would like and forget about what she doesn't. Always sounds good anyway

If you don’t like looking at it, you’ll never enjoy working on it. It should put a smile on your face every time you walk up. If it doesn’t it’s time for a change.

Yes, it has to have nice lines, at least in my eye.

Totally Agree With That!!
Like that "salty" look such as a KK and others.

The 58/65 LRCs are two of my favs. If we didn’t buy our Krogen we’d be waiting for one of those to come along.

If we're doing fantasy Frankenboats, then I'd like to Tardis a stand up engine room like a DeFever 44 into Sylphide's existing shape, without changing any of her other dimensions please and thank you.

Wouldn't call them frankenboats.
People have to dream and some find a way to make those dreams come to pass.

One day one of us in TF will have created an ultimate cruiser or Liveaboard. Everyone will think he was a Genius and yet he just wasn't afraid to dream.
Lol sermon over!!

The problem is, you either build a 100% custom boat for each individual, however, almost nobody could afford it. Or you build what appeals to most and sell a bunch.

Your not going to find the former amongst a list of builders doing the latter.

The semi-custom world attempts to bridge the gap as best as possible.

That’s very true.
I experience that every time I go to the marina and spend a few hours. Willy’s a pleasure boat and she gives me pleasure.
Next time my single engine quits my pleasure may get diminished :ermm:

The problem is, you either build a 100% custom boat for each individual, however, almost nobody could afford it. Or you build what appeals to most and sell a bunch.

Your not going to find the former amongst a list of builders doing the latter.

The semi-custom world attempts to bridge the gap as best as possible.

Totally Agree!!
Sometimes I think many builders are more in tune with keeping up with the other guy and they tend to overlook what works well with what goes along with the modern day trend.

That’s very true.
I experience that every time I go to the marina and spend a few hours. Willy’s a pleasure boat and she gives me pleasure.
Next time my single engine quits my pleasure may get diminished :ermm:

Ohhh don't start that single engine vs twin syndrome. Lol , this is the first time in my life that we are considering a single engine.

Airstream345:

Would you be so kind as to let us know what you like about the KK and what you don't like? Considering at this time purchasing a 44' KK.
Thanks.

Airstream345:

Would you be so kind as to let us know what you like about the KK and what you don't like? Considering at this time purchasing a 44' KK.
Thanks.

Others who have experience with running a K.K will be able to help out more but here are ours.

Like: Layout and design - handles the water both calm and rough.

Dislike: draft - crawl around engine room - single with no get home - need for stabilizers -

Agree 100%.

Even when leaving the dock, I often turn around for one last look. :socool:
Like a beautiful woman.

The real problem is that they only made a few and there aren’t many good ones left.

Airstream345:

Thanks.

Happy to provide our perspective on owning our KK. Keep in mind we own a bit of an oddball in that Krogen only made 8 KK54s (ours is number 8) and the hulls differ in that we have a canoe stern vs the typical hourglass shaped flat transom.

Like all KKs here is what we like:

• They are well balanced live-aboard boats meaning Krogen struck a nice balance between things you would want on a passage-maker (narrow galley, handholds, etc) and things that make them very livable when you're on anchor or in the marina with friends over for cocktails (big cockpit and boat deck) etc.
  • They make terrific live-aboards. They're beamy with high ceilings, have tons of storage and designed with good separation between public and private spaces.
  • Seaworthy and sea kindly. Not long after we bought her we got caught in 30 knots winds coming down Admiralty Inlet AND took a 8' tanker wake (tanker was going 20). That trip alone gave me confidence in the hull design and ability of the boat to take more than the crew can.
  • Simplicity and access. Single engine, single low voltage (12v), access to everything including bilges you can get into, organized well and for DIYers like us nothing too complex to take on ourselves. One thing that scared me about the Hatteras 58/65 LRCs we considered was an electrical systems that ran at least four voltages (12, 24, 32, 110, 220) with cable runs that looked like an Apollo capsule.)
  • Range is outstanding. Ours will go 3500 nm with the fuel onboard which puts any location with the right WX window within range. Even if you don't venture far it allows you to buy fuel when prices are to your advantage.
  • Style. We love salty, boaty boats. Not everyone does but we'll often dingy around an anchorage or marina and almost ignore the sleek motoryachts to get a closer look at that Malahide anchored over there by itself.
  • Over built. Hull thickness, bulkhead tabbing, the size of things like pumps and valves and fans, the ballast in the keel the size and engineering of the rudder shoe, etc all demonstrates a boat build to take it. Of course those items also mean parts cost more ($195 for an ER blower vs the small $40 ones at West Marine) but that' part of proper ownership.
  • Community. KK owners, like Nordhavn owners and others LOVE their boats and are very helpful to each other. I connected with other KK54 owners during the purchase process and they gave me basically unlimited time and advice.

Things we live with:

• No stand up engine room in ours. Some of the newer models have this. I wish we did as maintenance means disrupting life in the salon which means projects that span a few days require dealing with a mess or resetting and cleaning up each day so we can make dinner and watch a show.
  • Ours is a wide body which is great for living but we'd really like a port side deck. Not a big issue but something we gave up.
  • One of the things the 48+ models have is a large L-couch in the helm. Our helms is a bit "short" so we only have a bench seat that converts to a watch berth. We wish we had an additional 3' in the helm for an L settee and a small table.

Always happy to connect in real time and share anything we can. We looked at Nordhavns, Hatteras, DeFevers, and KKs and couldn't be happier with our decision. PM me if you want to talk more.

Back
Top Bottom