Old 01-19-2016, 08:19 PM   #1

City: Cruising North Towards Boston
Vessel Name: Lemon Drops
Vessel Model: 2001 Grand Banks Europa 52
My next boat - Need Recommendations

My wife and I are long time power boaters, currently located in Albany NY. We now want to experience coastal cruising starting in the North East and eventually moving South.

We have determined two-boat models suit our needs, and with most other considerations in boating there are compromises. We have recently rented several boat styles and have come to the conclusion that we are really interested in a trunk (aft cabin) fast trawler or a sedan fast trawler.

By ‘fast’ I mean two engines and with a cruise in the upper teens with a top end above 20 knots. I don’t want to get into a discussion of single vs twins. We made that decision. Same with the length – has to be more than 40’ and less than 50’.

The other must haves include a fly bridge, 42’-48’ in length, a galley capable of supporting cruising (storage and refrigeration), generator and in good condition – we’re thinking 2003-2009 model year. Budget range is $225k to $270k depending on condition and attributes. We’d like to think we’d keep this next boat for at least 10 yrs.

We prefer to have two toilets, two staterooms and a bow thruster. Helm down below is not a requirement.

We have been on and have read about several Albins (40 NSC and 45 Command Bridge) and have not been impressed with their quality (example – multiple hatch and window leaks causing greater issues).

We have been on several Beneteau 44’ Swift trawlers and there is not enough galley space or storage – just didn’t like the boat.

We seriously looked at a Mikelson 43’ (two heads) which was heavily used (window and wall leaks) and decided not to go in that direction.

We have been on several Mainship 40’ and 43’ sedans and found them well used, but not as durable (broken hardware and excessive cracks at stanchion bases) as we had hoped, but ok – would only consider the 43’. We have been on two Mainship 43’ trunks and they seemed ok, except I don’t know about their cruising speed with the standard 370 HP Yanmars and fully loaded. These also had what we though were excessive cracks at the stanchion bases.

We’re not interested in a Carver or Silverton, no need for that kind of speed and want more of a traditional feel and look. We saw the 2007 Mariner 37 Seville Pilothouse on another forum, like the layout but would have to compromise speed. Any other suggestions along this type, but with a bit more speed?

I’m looking for suggestions and comments on either of the vessels named or recommendations of other manufacturers I should look at. We are ready to buy once we find the right boat. We have spent a small fortune looking for the right boat since last July and would rather spend the money in diesel fuel cruising.

I appreciate any assistance and advice, and I do know some of you have strong opinions. We’re willing to look just about anywhere on the East Coast or Great Lakes.

JimL
jimL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:23 PM   #2
Guru

City: West Coast
If your only concern is leaks, you might take another look at the Mikelson, at least if you can find a well-maintained specimen in your price range. That boat doesn't work for lots of people, but if you are otherwise satisfied with the layout, functionality and looks, I think you will find that leaking walls and windows are the exception, not the rule, with Mikelsons.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:02 PM   #3
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
I don't like being negative on this forum, but if you are planning on keeping the boat for a few years I would stay clear of the Mainship brand. There is a reason so many are on the market at a reduced price.
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:29 PM   #4
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Codger's (on this Forum) 42 foot Ocean Alexander fits the bill IMHO. Your pricing structure is a bit low for a quality boat of the size and vintage you are seeking. But, go for a good newer boat and who knows what may pop up.

Cruising at your desired speed will entail a pretty rigorous maintenance schedule (and costs) as compared to what us underpowered slowpokes own.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:32 PM   #5
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
I don't like being negative on this forum, but if you are planning on keeping the boat for a few years I would stay clear of the Mainship brand. There is a reason so many are on the market at a reduced price.

Dont stop now tell me more before I buy a 390
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:38 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
When you describe a quality aft cabin that has some speed one thinks of the Grand Banks 42. Grand Banks defined that market for decades.

Never owned one, nor would the coastal cruising aspect suit my needs, but they were well made and seem to match what you are looking for.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:51 AM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Ocean Alexander
Meridian
Carver
Beneteau Swift Trawler
Silverton

You want a top end over 20 knots. Don't be too quick to dismiss Carver and Silverton or others with greater speed because that speed may give you a comfortable cruise at the speed you want.

Meridian never sold like it's predecessor Bayliner because of the higher prices. I'd certainly consider it. There are a lot of happy Swift Trawler owners, although I'd be hesitant to go too early in their life.

Then Ocean Alexander just has a solid history.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Pawleys Island
Vessel Name: Bay Tripper
Vessel Model: '06 MS 34 Pilot
Quote:
I'd like to hear any specifics to support your statement. I've been aboard a few, read a great deal on this forum as well as the Yahoo Mainship site and I'm left with a different impression. What did I miss?
Jamup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:11 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimL View Post
My wife and I are long time power boaters, currently located in Albany NY. We now want to experience coastal cruising starting in the North East and eventually moving South.

We have determined two-boat models suit our needs, and with most other considerations in boating there are compromises. We have recently rented several boat styles and have come to the conclusion that we are really interested in a trunk (aft cabin) fast trawler or a sedan fast trawler.

By ‘fast’ I mean two engines and with a cruise in the upper teens with a top end above 20 knots. I don’t want to get into a discussion of single vs twins. We made that decision. Same with the length – has to be more than 40’ and less than 50’.

The other must haves include a fly bridge, 42’-48’ in length, a galley capable of supporting cruising (storage and refrigeration), generator and in good condition – we’re thinking 2003-2009 model year. Budget range is $225k to $270k depending on condition and attributes. We’d like to think we’d keep this next boat for at least 10 yrs.

We prefer to have two toilets, two staterooms and a bow thruster. Helm down below is not a requirement.
JimL
I'm not sure if second hand ones of these would be in your price range, but it certainly hits all your must-haves...

https://www.grandbanks.com/images/ed...MM_Apr2013.pdf

https://www.grandbanks.com/yachts/he...m?pid=86264706
Old 01-20-2016, 05:39 AM   #10
FF
Guru

For the speed you desire take a look at the many high quality sport fish.

Most do not have an enchanted forest below , but are very livable , and for in season traveling the huge cockpit (with an awning) is a delight.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:45 AM   #11
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Dont stop now tell me more before I buy a 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamup View Post
I'd like to hear any specifics to support your statement. I've been aboard a few, read a great deal on this forum as well as the Yahoo Mainship site and I'm left with a different impression. What did I miss?

My impression: Mainship built a solid Chevy. Expecting a Rolls Royce, look elsewhere. Expecting a decent boat at affordable prices, Mainship could work. Surveys for each individual candidate should guide... as would be the case for most any other brand (including Rolls Royces).

The boats Luhrs Group companies built were all pretty much systems-of-systems, so a Cummins, Jabsco, Atwood, Attwood, MarineAir/CruiseAir, Princess, etc etc etc in one is about the same as the same product in any other brand of boat.

Luhrs Group went bankrupt, and sold off their brands. The new companies may or may not provide wonderful support for earlier versions... but generally the owner's groups can do a pretty good job of self-support.

-Chris
Old 01-20-2016, 07:22 AM   #12

City: LAFAYETTE,LA
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30, 1983
Check out the Bayliner 4788. Just might fit your needs-don't let the wife see it before you have a look, though-
ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:31 AM   #13
Guru

City: Northport
If you are eventually headed south for extended cruising there perhaps include capable A/C units and the genset to support them in your needs list. That and maybe reconsider that lower station for the ability to run in heat/humidity/and rain easily at any time you like.
So your future needs list might be a bit different than your current needs list.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:41 AM   #14
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
A read of the OP's opening finds he desires build year and boat type different than most suggestions.

Possibly some narrowing down JimL or a few Tollycrafts will get tossed up. Speaking of which ----- T48 would be just perfect except it is 10 15 years too old
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:05 AM   #15
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Jim - I might be a bit biased, but check the Navigator 42, 46 and 48s if you can find any on the market. 2 staterooms, 2 heads, lots of storage and decent living space. Economical at trawler speed but can get up and scoot when needed. Biggest complaint the captain has is that the shower is too small.
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:28 AM   #16
Guru

City: LI or Fla
FF is on the money with this post, the market is very soft for these boats and therefore plenty of good ones out there:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
For the speed you desire take a look at the many high quality sport fish.

Most do not have an enchanted forest below , but are very livable , and for in season traveling the huge cockpit (with an awning) is a delight.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:42 AM   #17
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
My next boat - Need Recommendations

I'm always looking for my next boat it seems, so I enjoy learning from others going through the process.

If you want speed, why not look at a power catamaran? You can get a PDQ MV34 in that price range. Nice flybridge. Fast when you need it. Economical when you don't. Good living area room-- not a 40 footer but probably has the room of a 40' monohull. . Not very "traditional-looking" however.

I think it would be great for the Loop, Bahamas, and maybe the Caribbean? The only thing that gives me pause is working on the engines down in a hole, but maybe they are more accessible than I'm imagining.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:51 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
if the OP wasn't looking for a aft cabin I would point him towards the Bayliner/Meridan or the Navigator boats.

Here's a link to a YouTube video of the interior of my Bayliner 4788

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:35 AM   #19
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Codger's (on this Forum) 42 foot Ocean Alexander fits the bill IMHO.
Thanks, Tom....I was thinking the same thing! Except for no aft cabin, my 42 Ocean Alexander pretty much meets the OP's specs. (Our galley could be bigger but my wife loves it.)
Here's a short video that I've posted before but is a sister ship to our boat.
(We have the hard top which I heartily recommend. BTW, check Yachtworld, there are several for sale in your area.

Our Boat (No down helm...dinette instead) Click on the Codger2 avatar, go to public profile then "Sandpiper Album for a more complete look at the OA 42.
Attached Thumbnails
OA 42 Sedan 2.jpg  
Old 01-20-2016, 11:13 AM   #20
Guru

City: Northport
Going back to your first post I picked up on some of yourcruising goals...

"My wife and I are long time power boaters,currently located in Albany NY. We now want to experience coastal cruisingstarting in the North East and eventually moving South. coastal cruisingstarting in the North East and eventually moving South"

We have done a bunch of this and although many stops havefloating docks there are tons of nice places to visit that do not. With thelarger tides we have in most places in the Northeast this opens up the simpleissue of how you are going to get on and off the boat. Sounds simple but youwill do it a lot and if you have some issues with knees as my wife does thisissue will become something to consider with NE and other coastal cruising.

On our boat we can get on and off at 4 different levelswithout using the 2 step platform that we sometimes carry along. This makes itvery sturdy, easy and safe to get on and off docks at differing levels due to thelocal dock heights and/or the tides. All these levels are available to usewithout climbing an open ladder or using the steps : at the swim platform, atthe cockpit molded steps, at the Pilothouse, and at the fly bridge.

So many of our favorite stops are much easier to make dueto these levels and one of the better examples is Mystic Seaport.

Reviewing your list for what you need and want is a goodthing to do. I know we did a bunch of listing and changing when we went throughthis process ourselves.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote