Old 01-17-2019, 06:20 PM   #21
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Nice boat. Agree with Mako on the propulsion configuration.

What's the disposition of the prior wooden boat? I admire the woodys and the folks that own them, but I wonder at the prospects of selling one when it's time. What was your experience?

sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:08 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Melbourne
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: 40' Blue Sea Flybridge Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
Nice boat. Agree with Mako on the propulsion configuration.

What's the disposition of the prior wooden boat? I admire the woodies and the folks that own them, but I wonder at the prospects of selling one when it's time. What was your experience?
I love to wooden boats too, I think they really do have a soul. My wooden boat was an ex harbour inspectors launch and was completely remodelled by a local doctor. At the time he spare no expense to sympathetically building in character for it's new life as a pleasure craft. The forward motor was moved to mid ship, a cabin and head/shower was put in and in was tastefully fitted out with hardwood. So we loved the boat however it had a very narrow beam and therefore lacked in accommodation for more that 2 and for more than two nights.
In Australia over the last few years the value of wooden boats have plummeted. I'm not saying all of them but I would suggest the re purposed ones. There is a market for them but it is limited that's all.
Personally I love em, you kind have to as I would say I've bought my boat several times over with the cost of the up keep. As with most boats I think you are more a custodian than an owner. in my view this is particularity the case with woodies. We sold ours within a week because we were realistic and we had purchased another boat. She still has a good life in her and as an ex work boat she had 2 inch Douglas Fur planks and is a very tough boat. As always there is more work to be done to her to bring her back to and keep her in top condition, but she was an honest boat.

Jason Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: New Bedford, MA
Vessel Model: Currently Boatless
Lovely Boat!

What a lovely boat. Excuse my ignorance - but how does one "extend" a fiberglass hull, deck, and the works? It seems like it would be more difficult and expensive than starting from scratch....

Sure came out great. Good luck and enjoy!
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:35 PM   #24
Guru

I don't know the details, but I had a piermate with a one of 50' sportfisher that was extended by 6' by a small, local yard. Done more or less by eyeball. Guy loved the boat, swore it was going to be his heirs' problem - and it was. Every time he got in a moderate quartering following sea, the hull torqued longitudinally. Strong quartering sea - it cracked and/or broke side windows in the saloon. I'm pretty sure there were other attendant problems.

Great looking boat, Jason.

He passed and the boat was eventually auctioned for much less than the used value of the Manns that powered it. I think the moral to the story is that it can be done competently - by qualified pros. But probably not cost effective to the owner who commisions the work.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:48 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
In South Florida, boats are extended all the time. All the major yards do it. Boats in the under 50' size range up to boats in the 125' size range. Typical extension seems to be about 10% like the OP's.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:47 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Melbourne
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: 40' Blue Sea Flybridge Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
I don't know the details, but I had a piermate with a one of 50' sportfisher that was extended by 6' by a small, local yard. Done more or less by eyeball. Guy loved the boat, swore it was going to be his heirs' problem - and it was. Every time he got in a moderate quartering following sea, the hull torqued longitudinally. Strong quartering sea - it cracked and/or broke side windows in the saloon. I'm pretty sure there were other attendant problems.

Great looking boat, Jason.

He passed and the boat was eventually auctioned for much less than the used value of the Manns that powered it. I think the moral to the story is that it can be done competently - by qualified pros. But probably not cost effective to the owner who commisions the work.
The Extension was done about 15-20 years ago and at survey you could not see where the extension was done from the inside or outside. No cracks seams or anything. Interestingly the Surveyor stated at sea trial that the hull speed had increased with the increased LOA. He had recently surveyed 2 other Blue Seas 36' in the last month or so. He suggested it didn't to bury its bum like the other 36'.
Jason Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:25 PM   #27
Guru

Hilarious! Just realized I used the phrase "cost effective" in a paragraph about rec boats.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:31 PM   #28
Guru

Very interesting the side by side comparison. Thanks!