My list of boat pre-purchase questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I appreciate all the replies. I'd definitely tell a few of you that you can take your boat and stick up where it won't fit. For me it's all about transparency. Why wouldn't you if possible answer some questions? Do you have something to hide or just arrogant? Most of the questions are just asking if and when something has been done so I can gauge when or if it needs to be done now or later. I'm not rich like some of you seem to be and yes God forbid I'm a newbie.

You want all that info, lemme hand the potential buyer the maintenance log and tell the buyer, “what you don’t see, ask and I will give you an approximate date “

You have obviously never dated a divorced woman or bought a previously owned house or car.
Next you will want a years guarantee and a full tank of fuel or gasoline.
I just might be able to answer all or most of your questions and when you started to haggle about the price, I would tell you to leave in words you will have no trouble understanding, “I will not sell my boat and get off my boat NOW!”
You want transparency, hang on tight, I want know a few things about you. Boating schools, the source of the money, your work history, police record, ever had a speeding ticket, arrested for DUI, smoked drugs, shot up drugs, bring proof of insurability, ever declared bankruptcy, and and tell me about the last 12 arguments you had with wife and or girlfriend.

I predict if you bring your list of questions to an owner(s), you will be a boatless newbie for a very long time. You only option is to oder a new boat and pester the builder.
Now, I am being perhaps more honest than other boat owners.
Oh, by the way, you are not permitted to remove any of my logs or printed material from my boat.

Last edited:
Ralsy
It looks like a great boat, from the listing info anyway. Hope it all works out for you.

This is the way I would look at it Ralsy - you view the boat and we get it under contract with a deposit. Then during survey period I'd answer all your questions. But if you're just another lookie-loo who shows up and wants to ask 152 questions, then I have better things to do.

It has nothing to do with transparency or opacity. A seller might have 50 showings before someone makes an offer that is acceptable.

But as I've mentioned before, your questions are all excellent and relevant, but there's a place and a time for them.

This is the way I would look at it Ralsy - you view the boat and we get it under contract with a deposit. Then during survey period I'd answer all your questions. But if you're just another lookie-loo who shows up and wants to ask 152 questions, then I have better things to do.

It has nothing to do with transparency or opacity. A seller might have 50 showings before someone makes an offer that is acceptable.

But as I've mentioned before, your questions are all excellent and relevant, but there's a place and a time for them.
Boat is under contract, just hasn't gone to survey.

Questions are fine. Timing is odd. As seller, I'd be happy to work with the buyer to answer questions after the survey. OP was pretty clear in subsequent posts that he was looking to validate information in advance of a survey so he doesn't have to blow the money. Makes sense, but shifts due diligence risk to seller, which is awkward.

Is there a Troll of this thread??

It seems acceptable, informative input and answers of all sorts have been provided.

I dislike it very much when a Troll keeps coming out of its hole for BS continuations!

Imo, that's what the problem is with boat brokers and maybe some surveyors, all they want is buyers who have endless money and are not worried about how much they will potentially have to spend on a boat. WHY, would I go and pay $000s for a survey if I can already risk assess potential problems and costs before hand? There seems to be an endemic problem in this industry that if you don't have millions or ask to many questions then you are looked on as a fool. I pity the new to boating buyers that have to deal with someone who has an attitude similar to yours.

Well, you need to find another broker and surveyor! Plus you need to educate yourself, what looks right and what looks wrong!

When the seller says, "yes I've changed/upgraded that, I don't remember what year". Ok, what now?

Is there somewhere that says a "newbie of anything", get's to pass, paying for expertise.
My grandpa was an expert at everything, at 95. Only because he paid the piper! Amazing!

Welcome to Boating, Trawler Forum (school/piper). A lot of knowledge here, but we all know, we're still learning.

Jim

You want all that info, lemme hand the potential buyer the maintenance log and tell the buyer, “what you don’t see, ask and I will give you an approximate date “

You have obviously never dated a divorced woman or bought a previously owned house or car.
Next you will want a years guarantee and a full tank of fuel or gasoline.
I just might be able to answer all or most of your questions and when you started to haggle about the price, I would tell you to leave in words you will have no trouble understanding, “I will not sell my boat and get off my boat NOW!”
You want transparency, hang on tight, I want know a few things about you. Boating schools, the source of the money, your work history, police record, ever had a speeding ticket, arrested for DUI, smoked drugs, shot up drugs, bring proof of insurability, ever declared bankruptcy, and and tell me about the last 12 arguments you had with wife and or girlfriend.

I predict if you bring your list of questions to an owner(s), you will be a boatless newbie for a very long time. You only option is to oder a new boat and pester the builder.
Now, I am being perhaps more honest than other boat owners.
Oh, by the way, you are not permitted to remove any of my logs or printed material from my boat.

Mate, the questions have already been answered by the seller, no problems.

Back
Top Bottom