My Favorite Way To Make Coffee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yachtman, all that effort so we can make expensive pee? (TEASE) :D

I've been using an Aeropress for years both at home and on the boat. If you like to grind your own take a look at Handground. Simple, sturdy and easy to use. The Aeropress allows the coffee to cool off somewhat so I've been using a double insulated metal cup which I invert on the burner (without flame) after the water has boiled and while the Aeropress is steeping. Not too hot to drink immediately and keeps a hot cup for quite a while.

https://handground.com/grind

Attachments

• IMG_0272.jpg
    IMG_0272.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 29
Yup, have a hand grinder also. And the Sunday sized big Bodum for when we’re both having coffee.

Attachments

• 1ACB6403-ECAB-4569-98C2-B1DD4D33C774.jpg
    1ACB6403-ECAB-4569-98C2-B1DD4D33C774.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 30
All the best coffee brewing contraption and expensive beans and grinders can produce excellent coffee IF what counts for 99% of the process is taken into account. WATER
No distilled, purified water or tap water.
What’s needed is Spring water that’s not to hard or soft.

Very good point. Great water is a main ingredient in many foods and makes a huge difference. NY water was considered to be the secret ingredient that makes NY pizza taste so much better. High end sushi rice is best prepared with quality water. NY Water is from the Catskills watershed.

Last edited:
Very good point. Great water is a main ingredient in many foods and makes a huge difference. NY water was considered to be the secret ingredient that makes NY pizza taste so much better. High end sushi rice is best prepared with quality water. NY Water is from the Catskills watershed.
Our home Breville Espresso Machine has replaceable water filter cartridges in the water reservoir,changed every 2 months or so. Like Gillette selling razor blades to fit a holder they almost give away, except the machines are not. However, I buy the filters on ebay way cheaper than from Breville.

I used to use an electric drip coffee machine, but is electricity intensive.

Now boil water on propane stove and use a Melitta stainless vacuum thermal carafe with pour-over filter drip.

https://shop.melitta.ca/collections...er-stainless-carafe-set?variant=7940276453428

Slick! I may try the Aeropress, but I always need to make a few cups at minimum. The mess in the French press is a drag to deal with, and the history and ease of the pour over is hard to beat. Seeing one of these in my future. Thanks, Drifter.

I use a moka. Not popular in North America because of percolators, but I highly recommend it. Super simple and makes amazing coffee. Easy to clean and no filters, plastics or disposable waste outside of the used grounds. Highly recommend.

Slick! I may try the Aeropress, but I always need to make a few cups at minimum. The mess in the French press is a drag to deal with, and the history and ease of the pour over is hard to beat.

I bought one and used it about 4 times, its now sitting in a drawer on my boat unused. Between drip coffee (what I use on board, a bit of a coffee snob on land with more expensive machinery), a Bodum double wall insulated SS coffee maker, and Aeropress, I prefer both over it. By the way, I also prefer the two over the Keurig system, nothing against the system its the pods that leave something to be desired.

I'll second the disappointment with Keurig. Had one and gave it away years ago. What got the slick rating from me was the pour over lid that brews right into an insulated carafe. One of those will likely find its way aboard Escape.

I use a moka. Not popular in North America because of percolators, but I highly recommend it. Super simple and makes amazing coffee. Easy to clean and no filters, plastics or disposable waste outside of the used grounds. Highly recommend.
Coincidentally, there was an early stove top espresso coffee maker branded "Atomic". Made quite good coffee. These days they are in demand as collector`s items, worth $$. I`ve got one somewhere.
a4c71805d588287f1fba5a66838f75e0.jpg

This "Aeropress" is basically the same as a French Press which I have been using at my dirt home for a few years.I love the coffee I get from it.

I don't use it on the boat because I have a "Mr. Coffee" type and it is more convenient since space, especially counter space is limited. Plus the French Press requires an additional step (Boiling the water). I may make the change though.

But.. I recently discovered a way to really improve my morning cup, also my lemonade and ice tea. I bought a water distiller. I have always used filtered water at home and on the boat but this distiller takes it to the next level. Give one a try.

pete

This "Aeropress" is basically the same as a French Press which I have been using at my dirt home for a few years.I love the coffee I get from it.

I don't use it on the boat because I have a "Mr. Coffee" type and it is more convenient since space, especially counter space is limited. Plus the French Press requires an additional step (Boiling the water). I may make the change though.

But.. I recently discovered a way to really improve my morning cup, also my lemonade and ice tea. I bought a water distiller. I have always used filtered water at home and on the boat but this distiller takes it to the next level. Give one a try.

pete
I agree - aeropress is same concept as French press. I find the aeropress produces more consistent results for a single serve cup.

I also find an electric tea kettle much faster than a stove top one.

My original coffee problem to solve was somewhat personal. I have a cabin on the Colorado mountains. When I would go in the spring, I would invariably show up late at night and awake early. Coffee was long since stale and undrinkable. So I went to K-cups. As others have noted, the pods are objectionable and frankly, the coffee not always great (Starbucks Italian or French was decent). I use a vacuum SS cup and am up hours before my wife so single serve is preferable

I discovered the Aeropress and now use Bustelo or Pilon fine ground cuban coffee. It's vacuum packed in bricks with a very long shelf life and stores very well. Best, it's good coffee if you like more espresso style coffee.

Thanks for the tip on distilled water.

Peter

I discovered the Aeropress and now use Bustelo or Pilon fine ground cuban coffee. It's vacuum packed in bricks with a very long shelf life and stores very well. Best, it's good coffee if you like more espresso style coffee.

Thanks for the tip on distilled water.

Peter

A member of the family that owned Pilon coffee was a customer of mine. We of course served Pilon Cuban Coffee every day at 3pm. He was the one who told me to use the espresso coffee to make regular coffee. He’s right, it’s very good.

I’ve been doing pour over for longer than I care to remember. Started with Chemex at home so that influences my choices.
On the boat we use a Hario V60 filer holder and Chemex FC-100 filters. The filter holder fits perfectly over a Thermous 34 oz Vacuum insulated SS coffee press with the press part removed. I also use a hand grinder. Gives me the advantage that if I run out of filters I can always just use the press. The Thermous keeps the coffee warm, and the V60 allows me to use the Chemex filters.
At home we Use Nespresso for one or two cups. Chemex if making a pot.

Boils water, opens jar, adds 2 spoons of nescafe espresso, adds boiled water, 2 spoonfulls of condensed milk* , stir and drink

Every now and again I'll pull out a phin and the Trung Nguyen #5 and do it Vietnamese style.

*condensed milk was a habit I picked up in South East Asia
Added bonus is no fresh milk aboard and no extra sugar required

Coincidentally, there was an early stove top espresso coffee maker branded "Atomic". Made quite good coffee. These days they are in demand as collector`s items, worth $$. I`ve got one somewhere.
a4c71805d588287f1fba5a66838f75e0.jpg
Without a doubt, best looking coffee pot on the planet.

Nespresso at home, at work, and aboard.

Attachments

• DFF3D0B8-F151-48D6-806D-CBE5FE686580.jpg
    DFF3D0B8-F151-48D6-806D-CBE5FE686580.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 11
Im guessing you guys all drink a lot of coffee if going to that much effort and expense?

Nope. 2 cups each morning. Life is too short to drink bad coffee, bad beer, bad wine.

Nope. 2 cups each morning. Life is too short to drink bad coffee, bad beer, bad wine.

1 cup more than me.
But I do find it funny sometimes as to who or what defines good?

I know people who are coffee aficionados who eat at McDonalds, KFC etcwhereas I won't let that crap anywhere near my mouth.

They'll get prawns bought from supermarkets whereas its last nights catch off the back of a trawler or nothing for me

Others who claim to be beer experts yet buy 2 buck chuck wines and eat McD ,KFC etc

Odd.
Where is the consistency?

+1 on the Nespresso!!

Boils water, opens jar, adds 2 spoons of nescafe espresso, adds boiled water, 2 spoonfulls of condensed milk* , stir and drink

Every now and again I'll pull out a phin and the Trung Nguyen #5 and do it Vietnamese style.

*condensed milk was a habit I picked up in South East Asia
Added bonus is no fresh milk aboard and no extra sugar required

I picked up the habit of condensed milk while working in logging camps in northern Alberta. Sugar too!!! Drank it out a tin cup. SMILE Now, I drink it out a BIG porcelain cup.

Last edited:
Im guessing you guys all drink a lot of coffee if going to that much effort and expense?

LOL Good ol'Mr Coffee. 10 cups made with grounds for 12, one pot a day, reheated in the microwave, condensed milk, sugar. If it tastes bad, I dont know it. Most of my tastebuds were surgically removed when the narrowed my tongue in a failed effort to cure my sleep apnea.

I drink grocery store wine too.

1 mug in morning Nespresso Lungo
1 cup after lunch Nespresso Roma.

Attachments

• 24E456A0-30A9-4A11-8267-DDD610CC844E.jpeg
    24E456A0-30A9-4A11-8267-DDD610CC844E.jpeg
    27.1 KB · Views: 9
I usta make coffee on a gold dredge in Alaska. I was the “bull cook”.

It was boiled coffee on a wood stove (also tended my me).
A real quick rundown is;
Boil the water, add the coffee to the boiling water (coffee and water pre-measured) stir (for a long time (( on the wood stove)) keeping the grounds in suspension (not touching the bottom of the pot) pull the pot off the stove when it comes to a rolling boil. Slop/throw a short cup of cold water into the pot to settle the grounds.
Wait 5 minutes and pour all the coffee onto drinking cups. Throw out the dregs and grounds.

It’s actually considerably more complicated than the above. Just the highlights shown.

When instructed how to make the coffee I asked “how do I know when I get it right” .. I was told “when they stop complaining”.

I usta make coffee on a gold dredge in Alaska. I was the “bull cook”.

It was boiled coffee on a wood stove (also tended my me).
A real quick rundown is;
Boil the water, add the coffee to the boiling water (coffee and water pre-measured) stir (for a long time (( on the wood stove)) keeping the grounds in suspension (not touching the bottom of the pot) pull the pot off the stove when it comes to a rolling boil. Slop/throw a short cup of cold water into the pot to settle the grounds.
Wait 5 minutes and pour all the coffee onto drinking cups. Throw out the dregs and grounds.

It’s actually considerably more complicated than the above. Just the highlights shown.

When instructed how to make the coffee I asked “how do I know when I get it right” .. I was told “when they stop complaining”.

No egg shells?

No egg shells.
The cold water does it if you slop the cold (not luke-warm) immediately after pulling the pot off the stove. Temperature difference is the key.

Every few years I try to do it again but muck up some small detail. Still makes great coffee. Just not the very best you’ve had.

This was taught to me on a small gold dredge at Nyac up the up the Kuskoquim River and the Tuluksak River about 65mi.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom