My Dinghy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ducatihottie

Hi!

My boats name is "Kon Teaki".

I'm going to put my name on the back of the boat but its pretty much useless. This since you can't see it, (my dinghy blocks it).

So I plan on putting the name on both dinghy and transom.

Looking at the photo, I have a dirty "novurania" dinghy.

1. Can you paint the bottom of a dinghy?

2. If yes, what paint should I use. Remember my boats name and "TEAKI MAN" will be going there.

Or should I

3. Buy a new white cover, cover my dinghy and put my boats name and TEAKI MAN on the cover?

4. If yes? How I'd adhere the name to the fabric or canvas dinghy cover?

The final photo is a preliminary drawing with my name and my "TEAKI MAN".

And yes, I'm about to mess up a beautiful classic boat.

Attachments

• 20200817_193706.jpg
    20200817_193706.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 20200817_200201.jpg
    20200817_200201.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 20200817_200230.jpg
    20200817_200230.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Screenshot_20200817-201926_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200817-201926_Gmail.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 106
Not sure if your RIB is aluminum or fiberglass, to me it looks like it would clean up quite well with painting.

Hang a banner on the back of the FB. Leave the dinghy alone.

Just use vinyl graphics. Downsize the graphics for the dingy from the stern graphics.
KISS principal.

I would clean up the dinghy bottom and put a vinyl name and hailing port on the bottom. While not legal at least people can see the boat name and hailing port so you are making an attempt to be as legal as you can. I would make the name and hailing port the proper size also. And make sure that the boat is also properly marked per the documentation requirements. Then if you are stopped you can at least show that you did the best you could and throw yourself on the mercy of the LEO. It most likely will never be an issue but do your best.

Vinyl graphics. You can experiment with them. Get several sets and try different size and locations for cheap. If you change your mind just peel it off. You will know when you have it right. Then consider something more permanent, if even needed.

Lettering is going to look odd with the slope of the dinghy from port to stbd. ? More odd following the center line of the dinghy, or compensating for it? Seems partly a function of the snap davits,the brackets may have been extended.

Thanks all. Bruce your right nothing will look right on the bottom of my dinghy.

"snap davits" whatcha talking about:?

Dave since someone's doing it for me, that should be easy to do.

Do they make a top cover for a dinghy in my position. Like a half cover just to cover the top? I can find an outboard engine cover, but I want something to cover the dinghy and engine. All's I can find are full covers for when the boat's lying flat. Plus water gathers in it.

BTW, after measuring, there's little room left on the transom due to my steps on one side, and the dyngy lift on the other. And like I said you can't see it anyway.

I was told that stainless boat lift is quite costly, any idea how much? My boat will sink first as It takes forever to lower it.

Last edited:
Hand a separate sign.

Also why are you adding Teaki Man?

Name on the side, why do you need one on the transom - do you have one on the front of the fly bridge?

Or maybe just run stealth mode - worked for us for two years until I found vinyl signage in one of the lockers.

How about the space between the back windows ? If not that, I'd go with a banner and bungee cords where the throw ring is.

Name on the side, why do you need one on the transom - do you have one on the front of the fly bridge?

Or maybe just run stealth mode - worked for us for two years until I found vinyl signage in one of the lockers.

I believe he is looking to identify the boat to those coming up from astern for hailing purposes etc.

Now I won't be putting it on the transom since you can't see it.

Deffinatlly on the sides of the flybridge where my old name "Dreams Too" is. And maybe on the front or between the windows on the back as Sully mentions

Attachments

• 20200818_071330.jpg
    20200818_071330.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 20200817_193649.jpg
    20200817_193649.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 20200817_200220.jpg
    20200817_200220.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

The transom is where most folks would look first... and it'd be visible when the dinghy is in the water. It's also a large enough area for artistic license, should you be inclined that way.

-Chris

That looks like a Seawise davit. I've never had one, but they sure look sweet (also, $$$, but not undeserved).

Thing is, usually when you keep a dinghy on the transom like that, you have to remove the outboard each time because it can't just ride along at a 90º angle to reality. The slick thing about the Seawise is how it "automatically" tilts the outboard to vertical each time so you don't have to do that. I wouldn't kick one off my transom (also, 20hp Honda? You're going to be flying, which is nice when you have a slower boat).

BTW, when I saw the thread title it reminded me of this! :D

We used Buildasign.com. Our dink caddy also covers the transom. We put a vynil sign on the bridge.0806201932-1.jpg

Not sure if your RIB is aluminum or fiberglass, to me it looks like it would clean up quite well with painting.

I meant to say "without painting."

The slick thing about the Seawise is how it "automatically" tilts the outboard to vertical each time so you don't have to do that.

I think that engine-rotate thing is a Seawise option.

I think the same kind of option is available with the Weaver Snap-Davit system. Don't know either of those for sure, though.

-Chris

We put a Seawise davit on a previous boat and loved it. Launch in one minute and retrieve in two minutes. Weaver has a similar system but it is a kludge, not nearly as good but it is cheaper.

Deffinatlly on the sides of the flybridge where my old name "Dreams Too" is. And maybe on the front or between the windows on the back as Sully mentions

If the boat is documented then there specific ways of marking the boat. Name AND hailing port have to be in one location. Most do the transom but it doesn’t have to be there. Go to the NVDC website and read it for yourself.

I would clean up the dinghy bottom and put a vinyl name and hailing port on the bottom. While not legal at least people can see the boat name and hailing port so you are making an attempt to be as legal as you can. I would make the name and hailing port the proper size also. And make sure that the boat is also properly marked per the documentation requirements. Then if you are stopped you can at least show that you did the best you could and throw yourself on the mercy of the LEO. It most likely will never be an issue but do your best.

The issues of the name on the bottom of the dinghy is one of convenience, not legality. Documented boats have to have the name and hailing port on the stern in appropriately sized letters. It doesn't matter if it is obscured by the dinghy.

Someone asked if the boat was documented or not. If it is, then you have to put the name and hailing port on the boat. Putting it on the dinghy won't meet that requirement.

The issues of the name on the bottom of the dinghy is one of convenience, not legality. Documented boats have to have the name and hailing port on the stern in appropriately sized letters. It doesn't matter if it is obscured by the dinghy.

Yes, it does matter if it is obscured. The following is pasted from the NVDC website. Note the part that says the name and hailing port must be marked together on some CLEARLY VISIBLE exterior part of the hull. When you tip the dinghy up the name on the stern isn’t clearly visible anymore. Now will they stop you and cite you for that, probably not. But by putting the dinghy where it obscures the name and hailing port makes the marking fall outside the regulations. To be absolutely correct you could put the name and hailing port across the brow of the flybridge and that would suffice. On our boat we have sideboards around the sundeck so we put the name and hailing port on them so when the dinghy is tipped up they are still visible. Putting the name and hailing port on the dinghy bottom doesn’t meet the requirements either but at least you tried to make the name and hailing port clearly visible, not legal but you tried so they might cut you some slack.

From the NVDC website on vessel marking.

The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded by the abbreviation "NO." must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least three inches high on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area.

The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated.

Attachments

• AA125991-D825-4361-A3EA-66D0242DF424.jpg
    AA125991-D825-4361-A3EA-66D0242DF424.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 42
Yes, it does matter if it is obscured. The following is pasted from the NVDC website. Note the part that says the name and hailing port must be marked together on some CLEARLY VISIBLE exterior part of the hull. When you tip the dinghy up the name on the stern isn’t clearly visible anymore. Now will they stop you and cite you for that, probably not. But by putting the dinghy where it obscures the name and hailing port makes the marking fall outside the regulations. To be absolutely correct you could put the name and hailing port across the brow of the flybridge and that would suffice. On our boat we have sideboards around the sundeck so we put the name and hailing port on them so when the dinghy is tipped up they are still visible. Putting the name and hailing port on the dinghy bottom doesn’t meet the requirements either but at least you tried to make the name and hailing port clearly visible, not legal but you tried so they might cut you some slack.

I understand why you would think that, but I do believe you are mistaken.

https://www.boatus.com/products-and-services/boat-lettering/uscg-requirements

“When dinghy’s are stored on the swim platform or transom causing the vessel's name and hailing port to be obscured from view, there is no Federal requirement to place the name and hailing port elsewhere. That is a Law Enforcement issue only.”

Yes, it then becomes a LE issue. Which they may or may not enforce. Just like I said above they probably will not cite you for it. Just because they may not cite you doesn’t make it right. I usually drive 5 mph over the speed limit. I pass speed traps all the time and they choose not to stop me because it is a minor infraction but that doesn’t mean that I am legal speeding.

Thanks all

Frosty my surveyor got a kick on how the outboard swings into place as well.

Updated photos. Note the shading on the TEAKI MAN won't be there, it will be clear.

I know it's "gaudy" looking, but I get my Hawaiian vibes and I can always remove it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200818-175150_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200818-175150_Gmail.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20200818-175134_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200818-175134_Gmail.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20200818-175120_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200818-175120_Gmail.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20200818-175111_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200818-175111_Gmail.jpg