My Dinghy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very "islandy" vibe.

Did it end up being relatively painless to change the spelling for the USCG Documentation?

If you are looking for comments: Not sure how I feel about the angled dinghy and then the slightly less angled (but not quite the same) but not straight name.

If it were me I might try to put it up higher and not on the dinghy - maybe something that would be a part of a "weather cloth" type deal up on the rails above?

This would also solve the situation of no name there if you have the dinghy down (unless you plan to letter the transom behind the dinghy).

Last edited:
I don't believe those are actual applied names but mock ups.

I don't believe those are actual applied names but mock ups.

I think so too, but I usually do mockups to see how the final product will look so I figured I'd comment. Personally, I don't think I could like any name position on the dinghy due to the angle. Not that I'm the OP but it seemed as though he wanted feedback.

Actually I'm of the opinion that the whole thread, and others, are a mock up.

It may be, I don't know. But OTOH I was commenting to Ducatihottie about his davit and in post #1 it looks as though his 20hp Honda is vertical.

Yep, saw that. I only meant to highlight that the base Seawise system may not necessarily include that option. And ditto with Weaver's similar system.

-Chris

My boat is registered, Canada, so rules differ slightly. I am required to have boat name and port of registry on the transom.

Dinghy obscures it so I got vinyl lettering done and installed that on the dinghy bottom so when it is pulled up it shows the requirements. It,s plain lettering, nothing fancy.
The lettering is now a bit over 20 yrs.

The name has also served to allow others to hail US very clearly, no ambiguity, even though there are other boats about.

Looks like there is room to hang a name board just under the aft rail (taffrail). I'd just hang it on the flying bridge aft railing.

Yep, saw that. I only meant to highlight that the base Seawise system may not necessarily include that option. And ditto with Weaver's similar system.

-Chris

I had just taken a gander a few days before (boat I had looked at had one) and it seemed like all the Seawise davits did the motor lift as part of the design. You made me curious so I double checked and I believe they all do (some manual, some not, but all lift motor).

I also happened to be looking at Weaver's catalog yesterday and there the motor lift is definitely an extra not a given.

Like Clectric, and what Brian is proposing, I have my boat's name and hailing port on both the boat's transom, as well as on the bottom of my dinghy. We also have the Sea Wise davit (and love it by the way).
None of this is required for us, as we are not registered, but licensed. It does allow for overtaking boats to hail us by name if required. We also have our license numbers and boat name on both sides of the bow.

I believe the "angle" of the dinghy can be adjusted using the swim grid brackets on the main boat, but it might make "attaching" the dinghy more difficult? if aesthetics are important. :)

I had just taken a gander a few days before (boat I had looked at had one) and it seemed like all the Seawise davits did the motor lift as part of the design. You made me curious so I double checked and I believe they all do (some manual, some not, but all lift motor).

I also happened to be looking at Weaver's catalog yesterday and there the motor lift is definitely an extra not a given.

Thanks for the correction, then. I had assumed it was a Seawise option too because I'd read it's a Weaver option.

Maybe that 'splains why Seawise sometimes gets more love than Weaver...

-Chris

First of all, check the regulations for the marking requirements.

The RCMP just booted an American vessel out of Grace Harbour, goofing off on the way to Alaska. There was a paddleboard blocking the transom name and WN hailing port. So they were sent on their way but with fines for a blocked hailing port and no national flag. No idea if they were fined for that COVID thing.

Just saying.

Go to a graphics/sign shop and have a banner made with your boats name and hailing port on it. Use bungees to strap it onto your tender. I do not know where you are, but on the AICW, if your name cannot be read by overtaking vessels you will not get a slow pass. How can you be hailed on VHF if you cannot be identified?

I have the Seawise davits on my boat. Installed for the PO. Nice system. The motor lift is really just a hinged transom attachment that when the davit lifts the boat it bring the motor vertical as well. Mine is a manual system and is easy to use. Maybe a bit slow but that is due to the mechanical advantage the manual winch gives.

I have the Seawise davits on my boat. Installed for the PO. Nice system. The motor lift is really just a hinged transom attachment that when the davit lifts the boat it bring the motor vertical as well. Mine is a manual system and is easy to use. Maybe a bit slow but that is due to the mechanical advantage the manual winch gives.

We put one on a previous boat and also loved it. I didn’t try it at the time but have you looked at using a rechargeable drill or driver to raise the dinghy? You may be able to put some adapter on the winch to allow the drill or driver to fit.

Thanks for the correction, then. I had assumed it was a Seawise option too because I'd read it's a Weaver option.

Maybe that 'splains why Seawise sometimes gets more love than Weaver...

-Chris

The Seawise system is head and shoulders above the Weaver system. The Seawise is a heavy duty system and the Weaver is sort of a kludge together system. It works but it isn’t nearly as well built and designed as the Seawise.

We put one on a previous boat and also loved it. I didn’t try it at the time but have you looked at using a rechargeable drill or driver to raise the dinghy? You may be able to put some adapter on the winch to allow the drill or driver to fit.

I haven't but I have thought about it. I actually have an electric winch handle from my sailing days that would work well. I know others have used a Milwaukee battery right-angle drill. I just figure that by the time I retrieve from a locker, make sure it is charged, etc... I'd be done just doing it by hand. :)

I agree Dave. The Sea Wise, while not without some compromises (like blocks one end of the swim grid, can partially obscure aft view, possible toe stubbers on swim grid, etc.), is a good davit that allows a very easy and quick launch or retrieval. Mine is manual as well. When buddy boating with good friends who have a much larger boat (KK52) with dinghy mounted "up top", we always used our dinghy because they felt theirs was "too much trouble" to deal with when ours was so easy!

As previously suggested a banner works well

Attachments

• DA3BA42F-706A-4204-A413-FBE00A5BDB5E.jpeg
    DA3BA42F-706A-4204-A413-FBE00A5BDB5E.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 25
Adventures in paradise. Old tv show with boat the same name

Hi!

My boats name is "Kon Teaki".

2. If yes, what paint should I use. Remember my boats name and "TEAKI MAN" will be going there.

If the boats name is Kon Teaki, what is "Teaki Man" and why is it going on the hull of the dinghy? That would introduce a lot of confusion and look like the boat has two names, or one long, weird name. (Kon Teaki Teaki Man??)

I had the exact same confusion and thoughts when I read the OP's post. Both Kon Teaki and Teaki Man? How? Why?

But what I think he meant is that he is going to have the name "Kon Teaki" and then a graphic of a tiki man that he is calling TEAKI MAN in the post.

So something like: Kon :eek: Teaki
but substituting his teak man for the emoticon.

I still want to know how hard or easy it was to change the spelling with the USCG documentation folks.

Naming requirements

For a documented Recreational Vessel, be sure you follow 46CFR 67.123 paragraph C

Name and port Must be “on the hull” and “clearly visible”. I recall it is a $9,999/day max fine that could be imposed.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/46/67.123

I would clean up the dinghy bottom and put a vinyl name and hailing port on the bottom. While not legal at least people can see the boat name and hailing port so you are making an attempt to be as legal as you can. I would make the name and hailing port the proper size also. And make sure that the boat is also properly marked per the documentation requirements. Then if you are stopped you can at least show that you did the best you could and throw yourself on the mercy of the LEO. It most likely will never be an issue but do your best.

www.Dinghy Butler.com. Approx. $4,000.

I just took delivery on one of these. Very nicely thought-out system from a micro builder in Maine. A lot of customization was necessary to make it work on my sundeck but the builder was most accommodating. You really do get a lot for the money. Mine’s in stainless so it was more like $4,700.

No financial interest. https://www.thedinghybutler.com/

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but the tilt in the dinghy appears to be due to flaccid tubes. A little air should sort most of that tip out.

Vinyl did not stick to the bottom of my aluminum dinghy, mine was painted though. It came off the first time it got wet, and for sure would have come off if I beached the boat.

I peeled off the vinyl and used the outline as a paint guide.

pete

Thanks all

Frosty my surveyor got a kick on how the outboard swings into place as well.

Updated photos. Note the shading on the TEAKI MAN won't be there, it will be clear.

I know it's "gaudy" looking, but I get my Hawaiian vibes and I can always remove it.

Good Job! Looks great and I like the shading. Will be easy to see who you are.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

For a documented Recreational Vessel, be sure you follow 46CFR 67.123 paragraph C

Name and port Must be “on the hull” and “clearly visible”. I recall it is a $9,999/day max fine that could be imposed.

I didn’t say it was legal, but to at least show that he was trying to comply. I agree that it isn’t legal as I said in a previous post. Someone else said it was ok, just a LE enforcement issue. It is if they want to bother to cite him, but they probably will not cite him because it is relatively minor. But they indeed could cite him.

Come on Patrick, there isn't any enforcement. Do you have the ability to look up whether anyone as ever been charged. I don't think that reg has any teeth.

I just took delivery on one of these. Very nicely thought-out system from a micro builder in Maine. A lot of customization was necessary to make it work on my sundeck but the builder was most accommodating. You really do get a lot for the money. Mine’s in stainless so it was more like $4,700.

No financial interest. https://www.thedinghybutler.com/

That’s a slick system that looks like it would work on my little transom. Do they offer it with a manual operation so I could skip the added complexity of the winch and wiring?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom