Old 11-20-2020, 01:35 PM   #1
Guru

City: AR
My dad's drafting tools

My dad was a mechanical engineer. I don't know exactly how old this set of drafting tools is, but he was 95 when he died in 2010, so they may even date from his college days. I'd love to give them to anyone among you appreciates vintage tools like these who would like to have them, I'd love to give them to you.

--Peggie
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2381.jpg  
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
They look great and ai do love tools, but I really don’t have a use for them so give them to someone that may use them. Very nice of you to make this offer.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:43 PM   #3
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Very nice offer. There most be a proper home for them. Any markings on the case?
Old 11-20-2020, 01:52 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
That’s a nice set. I used to have a set very similar when I took drafting in trade school. Very nice offer Peggie. I sure someone needs them .
Old 11-20-2020, 02:08 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigatoo View Post
Very nice offer. There most be a proper home for them. Any markings on the case?

Only the number 204 on the flap. The case is cardboard painted to look like leather. It's a bit worn on the edges, so these tools saw a lot of use.

I doubt that anyone would actually NEED them in this all electronic age, Marty. But maybe another draftsman or engineer might like to display them.

--Peggie
Old 11-20-2020, 02:18 PM   #6
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
I took drafting in high school in 1962 and I own a similiar set, identical but with less of the items, even the same casing but again, smaller.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 02:23 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Peggie, I have my Grandfathers drafting tools, I believe from the '30's. The case, and the tools ares very similar to yours. I know how you feel, don't really want to get rid of them to just anyone, but don't want to keep "stuff" that you'll never use. Not sure what the solution is . . . . maybe just keep it all, and let your kids deal with it!
I hope someone takes you up on your offer, and cherishes them as they should be cherished.
slowgoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 02:54 PM   #8
Guru

Not sure what the solution is . . . maybe just keep it all, and let your kids deal with it!

That's what I'd do if I had any kids...but I have neither kids nor siblings, so it'll be up to my executor to dispose of all my worldly goods that I haven't found new homes for. I'm only 78, so I'm hoping to have 15-20 years to do that...I'm starting with the boxes of things from my parents' house I'd never opened. This set of drafting tools was in one of 'em.

--Peggie
Old 11-20-2020, 03:02 PM   #9
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Woah mama. A pretty single lady with a boat!!! Send picture of the boat WINK WINK
TEASE
Old 11-20-2020, 04:21 PM   #10
Guru

I think I still have a triangular scale and a french curve kicking around in a drawer. LOL
jleonard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:30 PM   #11

City: Rockford, IL
Vessel Name: Du NORD
Vessel Model: Albin-25
I used the "used" set of Dietzgen tools I bought when a college freshman for 40 years in drafting rooms. They are still as good as new. The brand will be readily apparent, however yours seem like quality tools. They aren't worth much these days with CAD drafting and solid modeling.
Moby Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:47 PM   #12

City: Guntersville, Al
Vessel Name: StarLite
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II - 2003
Auction them off to start a Engineering scholar ship trust in your fathers name. Contact ASME for their recomendation

https://www.asme.org/

PS. I still have mine and actually use them once in a while - for navigation on paper charts mostly.

Olebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:19 PM   #13
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
That is a wonderful offer. One or two of those tools are compatible with celestial nav plotting, but a complete set like that deserves to be under glass on display at a mechanical engineering school. I like Larry's ASME suggestion too. I cherish the fine Gramercy drafting/nav set I was issues in 1965 at USNA, and have occasional use for one or another piece.

I have wrestled with a similar issue as I contemplated what to do with a model I made of a ship I once commanded. Their is no descendent to pass it on to, and I have pretty much decided to donate it to the local Navy Diving and Salvage School since it was a towing and salvage vessel.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05358.jpg  
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:33 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
Not sure what the solution is . . . maybe just keep it all, and let your kids deal with it!

That's what I'd do if I had any kids...but I have neither kids nor siblings, so it'll be up to my executor to dispose of all my worldly goods that I haven't found new homes for. I'm only 78, so I'm hoping to have 15-20 years to do that...I'm starting with the boxes of things from my parents' house I'd never opened. This set of drafting tools was in one of 'em.

--Peggie
At least that many years. You should be good for that because you keep involved and doing things. My mom turned 100 last May and she is doing well. The local marina owner heard about it and organized a boat parade for her. She had about 20 boats, which for a town of about 900 is pretty good. Keep hanging in there, we need your knowledge about sh*t and things...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:02 PM   #15
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
I worked through university as an illustrator. My uncle got me started with tools he had from the 1950s. There are about 300 pen and ink illustrations in the US Patent Office that I drew 40 years ago.

I still have my tools and I think of my uncle Red often. Back in the day, drafting (and especially illustrating, even technical illustrations) was a very intimate vocation. The scratch of the pencil on velum, the sound of a mechanical pencil being 'pointed' in a clamp-on sharpener. I was an early adopter of CAD drawing, but I soon lost interest due to the change from manual to electronic drafting.

My best wishes to you Peggie. In am about 20 years behind you and, like yourself, do not have children and am struggling to find the next caretaker of some magnificent low value but meaningful heirlooms. I have one nephew but frankly, at 16, he is too young (or too distracted) to have a nostalgic interest.

Best success to you.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:26 PM   #16

City: Guntersville, Al
Vessel Name: StarLite
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II - 2003
Still have my slide rule too - no batteries required!
Olebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:26 PM   #17
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
If I was near you I would certainly like to have them and put these to good use for my woodworking. I love vintage tools and work (at least as much as possible) with old vintage tools. In the set the only one that I would think will not be used anymore is the left middle ink compass that was use with bottled ink.
Hope you will find a good home for them, vintage tools should be preserved, they are a memory of how we got there.
Two weeks ago I got a brace made in Sheffield, England in 1810 and I am so excited to put it back to work!

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:08 PM   #18

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: RIPTIDE
Vessel Model: 1927 Schertzer Bridge Deck Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
My dad was a mechanical engineer. I don't know exactly how old this set of drafting tools is, but he was 95 when he died in 2010, so they may even date from his college days. I'd love to give them to anyone among you appreciates vintage tools like these who would like to have them, I'd love to give them to you.

--Peggie
Peggie, you might consider contacting one of the boatbuilding schools that teach traditional lofting - The Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding, IYRS, The Landing School, and others - as you will find students interested in traditional drafting tools. WR/Pete
old salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:25 AM   #19
FF
Guru

"I doubt that anyone would actually NEED them in this all electronic age,"

Looking at the modern boats , probably every aspiring NA needs a set , as the good looking boats seem to be from the distant past.

Computers are great for crunching numbers , but have no sense of style, grace or beauty.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:36 AM   #20
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
I still have a couple sets of drafting tool and a couple of slide rules. The really neat part of the larger slide rule was, it could reach the center of my back to cure the itch. (smile)
That particular slide rule got me through the US Nuclear Power School at Mare Island. We had to individually, design a reactor core housing. I sweated blood, doing the math.