My dad's drafting tools

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you want to free up space in your basement I am volunteer to get brace and bits and any old woodworking tool you may have :D

L

They were my grandfather's and great grandfather's. That's why I can't part with them.

Thanks for the offer.

Hawk

Peggie
Very gracious offer!
You got me thinking I have some unused " stuff" around that maybe someone could put to use.
I won't hijack your great thread but will start a parallel one.
Thanks for the motivation
Bacchus

My dad was a mechanical engineer. I don't know exactly how old this set of drafting tools is, but he was 95 when he died in 2010, so they may even date from his college days. I'd love to give them to anyone among you appreciates vintage tools like these who would like to have them, I'd love to give them to you.

--Peggie

Had a set like that years ago, lost to the ages.
Would love to have them, but as others have said donate them to a museum.
If you don’t have any takers, I’ll take them to add to my collection of nautical memorabilia. History needs to be cherished and preserved.
Hope they find a good home and not go to someone who just wants to resell them for a profit.
Love reading your comments on waste systems, has helped me several times.
Safe travels and thanks for your input to the forum.
PS: will pay freight to my location.

That's a very cool set of drafting tools. If I had any skill with them, I would be enthusiastically raising my hand as a potential caretaker for them. (A mouse is definitely more my speed, though.) Seeing drafting tools in a boat forum, sparked an idea: I have a vintage drafting case. I'm going to measure it and see if it can hold a paper chart. It might make an ideal portable chart table if it's the correct size. So, thank you for the flash of inspiration!

Seeing mention of starting another thread for "unused stuff", maybe we could use a thread for pictures of an boat-related item and its story/about its owner? We cleaned out my grandparents house last summer and now I have a bunch of charts, boat blueprints, etc. Maybe the forum would find that interesting?

I believe they still have a use in teaching the basics of geometry and more and would like the opportunity to be custodians them. Our grandchildren are of an age where learning hands on as well as electronically are of interest. Happy to discuss at your convenience.

Wow, those are great. I’ve got a set already from 1965 when I took drafting in school. While the tools look the same my case was far more modern.

Your right Dan. Fine looking girl with a boat Whew !
I think were a pair of old rascals but sailors do have a reputation to keep up don't we !
A lovely kind offer Peggy, I hope you find them a good home where they'll be appreciated. Well done you I think you're perfectly right to keep active mentally and physically, its the reason I'm cruising I just couldn't stand the thought of being a couch potato watching soaps all day and buying a dog so you have an excuse to go out and meet people.
I fully endorse FF, in this digital age there are so many gadgets but they can't don't seem to be able to design a sweet seaworthy ship with nice lines.
p.s I've fixed a simple fault for a boat for a guy who could make a computer sing but he had two left hands and no logic.

Last edited:
I knew I'd come to the right place to find a good home for them...and I did almost immediately. I love it that so many of you appreciate their "worth" in an era when no one can even add up a column of numbers, much less balance a checkbook, without a calculator or online program.

Since a couple of people have mentioned that they have some vintage tools that may be looking for new homes, perhaps a new thread "vintage tools (equipment?)" --pinned to keep it from expiring if postings drop off for a while--might be worth a try.

p.s I've fixed a simple fault for a boat for a guy who could make a computer sing but he had two left hands and no logic.

Lack of any logic is way too common...I've always been amazed by the number of boat owners who've never seemed to figure out that water runs downhill!

--Peggie

******Lack of any logic is way too common...I've always been amazed by the number of boat owners who've never seemed to figure out that water runs downhill!********

Now you tell me.

I knew I'd come to the right place to find a good home for them...and I did almost immediately. I love it that so many of you appreciate their "worth" in an era when no one can even add up a column of numbers, much less balance a checkbook, without a calculator or online program.

Since a couple of people have mentioned that they have some vintage tools that may be looking for new homes, perhaps a new thread "vintage tools (equipment?)" --pinned to keep it from expiring if postings drop off for a while--might be worth a try.

Lack of any logic is way too common...I've always been amazed by the number of boat owners who've never seemed to figure out that water runs downhill!

--Peggie

That vintage tools thread would be the one I would read the most lol

L

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. I remember some pictures you posted a while back of some of your collection. VERY nice. Over the years I've collected tools, some with a family history. I'd contribute to such a thread.

Those must have been standard for first year engineering students (1950's?) my dad was a chemical engineer and had a set.

Last edited:
That`s very pretty, and usable, no batteries to go flat either. Looking forward to pics of an adze, a spokeshave....

You have 4 spokeshaves on the following picture, from top to bottom, two Records (red) one with flat sole one with curved sole, one Stanley (black) and one wooden Marples.

IMG_1893.jpg

I have no adze as I don’t have usage for it.

L

I have a similar set but it'
s missing some of the pieces. I'm in the4 home building business and I still draw floor plans the old fashioned way. Don't use auto cad. Would like to have them. My adress is 13424 W annabrook dr, Boise, Idaho 83713. I'll reimburse you for the shipping.

Peggy!!!

You are most amazing.

What a thoughtful gift..
I wish I was close by as I would love such a treasure..

Hope you find someone to pass this along to.

Hugs from Canada.

That is a wonderful offer. One or two of those tools are compatible with celestial nav plotting, but a complete set like that deserves to be under glass on display at a mechanical engineering school. I like Larry's ASME suggestion too. I cherish the fine Gramercy drafting/nav set I was issues in 1965 at USNA, and have occasional use for one or another piece.

I have wrestled with a similar issue as I contemplated what to do with a model I made of a ship I once commanded. Their is no descendent to pass it on to, and I have pretty much decided to donate it to the local Navy Diving and Salvage School since it was a towing and salvage vessel.

The US Naval Academy has a fabulous model ship museum. You might think about donating your model to them...
https://www.usna.edu/Museum/collections/rogers/index.php

You might try the city where the shipyard was that built the ship you modeled or perhaps the Mariners Museum in Newport News. Doubt the shipyard still exists.

They look great but hey, I had all those drafting tool in 1958 (high school mechanical drawing) except that weird ink pen thing. I also had wooden slide rules but then they came out with the wonderful yellow aluminum one, what an advancement, until you sat on it.

Hope some of you out there know what the hell I'm talking about.

I use drafting tools when building scale models of yachts. I bought a similar set on Craig's List last year when I was starting a new project. They were borrowed and have yet to be returned. I would be willing to buy them. The place where I get my plans enlarged once sold them but stopped when computers took over the drafting process. The owner is trying to track down a set for me already.

Hi, The thought is excellent. I have my fathers tools as well and I'm an architect (Degrees) and love the classics. Id be honored to use them but more importantly- protect them. If they are still out there Lynn.ferguson@sbcglobal.net. Ill gladly pay shipping and make an outer case for them. If you offer your dads name and info, Ill engrave them.
Lynn

May I recommend the Mystic Seaport Museum,75 Greenmanville Ave, Mystic, CT 06355. They have a superb, world class collection of naval architect drawings and may be interested in exhibiting older drafting tools such as you have. As they are also a charitable, tax-exempt organization, they may be willing to give you a receipt for your donation. You would have to be responsible for any appraisal. Thank you for your generosity. CDR

Peggy, if you still have these I would love to put them to good use. I learned drafting in 7th grade which lead to Architectural school them my own design firm and custom home building as well as land development. I still have all my tools from the late 60s to date and keep using them. Including electric erasers. My oldest son appreciates old tools as much as me so he has already be given all my great grand fathers and grand fathers hand made mechanist and wood working tools.
Message me as to contact info and they will receive a good and welcome home.

I love it that several of you would give my dad's drafting tools a new good home and I wish he'd left more than one 'cuz the only one I have is already on its way to its new home. I'll leave it up to the new owner to remain anonymous or not.

Thank you all so much for confirming that I'd chosen the right place to offer them!

--Peggie

Peggie, I have a complete set identical to your set.
I should give them to my one nephew, he has sold everything I gave him except a couple of my prize guns. Told him, if he tires of the guns, give them back.

I’m not sure how to private message you but if by chance the tools are still available I would be more than happy to be the next caretaker of these instruments.

I reach a STEM class in navigation and these would be a great teaching tool. Additionally, I have museum connections which when the time came might accept them.

Thanks got your consideration.

I love it that several of you would give my dad's drafting tools a new good home and I wish he'd left more than one 'cuz the only one I have is already on its way to its new home. I'll leave it up to the new owner to remain anonymous or not.

Thank you all so much for confirming that I'd chosen the right place to offer them!

--Peggie

I am the lucky one who has been chosen.
Thank you so much for your kindness Peggie, it's already Christmas [emoji319]
Be sure they will receive the care they need.

L

Back
Top Bottom