My dad's drafting tools

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am glad they are going to a good home that will care for them as they should be. Too many things from the past get passed over and pushed aside by the new technology. We need to remember and revere where we came from.

Drafting Related: "What is it?"

If I were not in jettison-mode preparing for full-time live aboard in 2021, I'd gladly accept your offer. A local technical high school drafting teacher would probably help you find a home.

With all the enthusiasts on this thread, I cannot resist the urge to share these 3 pics with you all. Will anyone venture a guess of what this drafting machine was used for? Note the 3rd pic accepts a lead.

Attachments

• CloseUpDraftingMachine.jpg
    CloseUpDraftingMachine.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Drafting-Machine.jpg
    Drafting-Machine.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 11
  • UpsideDownCloseUp.jpg
    UpsideDownCloseUp.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 11
Yes Ted... and I learned something from YOU! I never heard of the term "Pantograph" but just googled it, and you hit the nail on the head! When I saw this in an antique store I knew it would have been used for copying and CHANGING the SCALE of one drawing or photo to another. Contour lines, Aerial Photos, Charts, all kinds of applications... and before the days of xerography and CAD it all had to be done with mechanical devices. I just never heard the term Pantograph until your post. Very Good! I have been in IT serving engineers and architects my whole life, and all the old ways [tools] of communicating over distances, and doing survey and design has always interested me. My collection of such "stuff" is much smaller than it once was.

Thank you for enhancing my vocabulary tonight! And helping me put a name to my little machine in my collection! I knew what it did, but did not know what it was called!

Attachments

• 220px-Pantograph_animation.gif
    220px-Pantograph_animation.gif
    63.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Would love these. My son just graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering… Would make a great gift for him.

Lou,
For your vintage engine?
LOL good one!
You see from my tools to my engine (well my boat engine to be precise) everything is vintage!
Funny to think that I am younger than my tools and engine lol I like to be countercurrent, when people run for the tech I am looking for low tech :)
But really I love to use my vintage tools, I love to restore them, use them and taking care of them.
May look strange or bizarre but when using these hand tools relation and feeling to the material you are working with is not the same, not sure how to find words for this but less brutal more sensitive. And I like to think I maintain a piece of history.
And to be honest, the iron quality from 100 years ago is really not comparable with junk we find nowadays...

L

Not that old!

I would put these about 50 years old. They aren't ancient, but the designs haven't changed much over the years.
I also own a set like this. Note the long pen-like instrument, with a small caliper on its tip. That's for ink, after penciling in the original! I bet this is a I & E (Keuffel and Esser) set.
I have an old K & E drafting machine, which clamps to a drafting board and facilitates technical drawing.

Cheers!

I certainly would!
------------------------

Seeing mention of starting another thread for "unused stuff", maybe we could use a thread for pictures of an boat-related item and its story/about its owner? We cleaned out my grandparents house last summer and now I have a bunch of charts, boat blueprints, etc. Maybe the forum would find that interesting?[/QUOTE]

Peggy - Logic is the lost art of 2020!

Half the country has no idea which way is up!

My very best friend for life is my drafting instructor from Auburn. The final exam was to draft an isometric view of the image on the black board at the front of the class room - hand drawn in chalk, a 3D, side view of Southern Rail Road's 4501 Locomotive -- it was a thing of beauty - wish I had a cell phone camera shot of it!
4501_drawing.jpg

We all failed!

PS she was designed with those tools!

Last edited:
Amazing set. I have one too from my school years. Very noble your offering. Perhaps you could try a local technical college. I am sure there students that would value and need them.

Gotta laugh, we say, "They are that old."
One of my sets, I got back in the late 50s or very early 60s. Our initial thought, "not that old" until we take off our socks and start counting on our fingers and toes. Then we realize, they are indeed "that old". LOL
(mumble mumble)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom