My Capt Ron Moment....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpj23

Vessel Name
Black Horse
Vessel Make
Med Yachts 62
So today we hired a local captain for some close quarters maneuvering practice. I have to laugh at it now...

Cast off the lines & left the dock. Successfully navigated out through the marina - no problem. Except... when I pushed the stbd shift lever forward during a tight turn, the ball on top of the shifter broke off in my hand. I immediately heard "that's OK sport, don't worry about it" in my head and got a laugh out of it. The ball had obviously been epoxied back in place - and apparently not too well - at some point in the past.

Moving on.... the wind picked up a bit as we returned to the marina and made our approach to back into the slip. I admittedly botched the approach and asked the hired captain to take over and let me watch his maneuvers. Well, about 3 or 4 shifts into the recovery the ENTIRE SHIFT HANDLE came off in his hand, this one for the port engine.

We were lucky that the port shaft was in neutral at the time. No crunching noises or screaming. We were able to complete docking with just the stbd shaft and bow thruster.

And the little voice in my head said "don't worry sport - it could happen to anybody...."

Further inspection reveals very sloppy, worn out controls at both stations. They will be replaced!

Attachments

• ctrls.jpg
    ctrls.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 111
So today we hired a local captain for some close quarters maneuvering practice. I have to laugh at it now...

Cast off the lines & left the dock. Successfully navigated out through the marina - no problem. Except... when I pushed the stbd shift lever forward during a tight turn, the ball on top of the shifter broke off in my hand. I immediately heard "that's OK sport, don't worry about it" in my head and got a laugh out of it. The ball had obviously been epoxied back in place - and apparently not too well - at some point in the past.

Moving on.... the wind picked up a bit as we returned to the marina and made our approach to back into the slip. I admittedly botched the approach and asked the hired captain to take over and let me watch his maneuvers. Well, about 3 or 4 shifts into the recovery the ENTIRE SHIFT HANDLE came off in his hand, this one for the port engine.

We were lucky that the port shaft was in neutral at the time. No crunching noises or screaming. We were able to complete docking with just the stbd shaft and bow thruster.

And the little voice in my head said "don't worry sport - it could happen to anybody...."

Further inspection reveals very sloppy, worn out controls at both stations. They will be replaced!

I am glad that turned out so well, how stressful! No doubt you have already registered that the previous owner had chosen to spend time covering up inadequacies on the boat, rather than maintaining it, and are forewarned as you get to know the intricacies of your new ride.

I love stories like that. Misery loves company. Reminds me of the time we were motoring up the Hudson and suddenly everything at the upper helm went dead. Chart plotter, all gauges, radio, GPS, AIS, VHF radio -- everything dead -- but the engines kept running fine. No oil pressure reading, no RPM's, no volt reading, no fuel reading, nothing. Backed it down to idle but I didn't want to turn off the engines because if I couldn't get them started again we'd be dead in the water carried away by the Hudson River's current probably straight into a Tappan Zee Bridge pier. Suddenly had no idea where we were relative to the river channel and hadn't bothered to figure out the navigation markers previously. Had to be a fuse. Ran downstairs, grabbed a screwdriver, run back upstairs, unscrewed the helm wiring access hatch (screws since replaced by knobs). Only one arm, one shoulder and my head fit through the panel opening. Had to be a fuse, but I didn't know which one. And because my body was wedged in the access panel opening, it was almost pitch dark in there (I since installed a small LED cabinet light). Pull a fuse with one hand, put it in my mouth like a cigarette, eased my head out of the opening, my wife would hold it up and see if the wire was fried. Nope, looks good. Put it back. Nope, not that one, looks good. Put it back. Nope, not that one... Finally I got to the last inline fuse on the bus bar and realized the big red wire to the whole bus bar had come off -- was dangling in mid-air, had come completely off the screw after 300 miles of vibration. I stuck it back on the screw and everything magically came back to life.

Well, your shifter falling apart and my bus bar panic at least gives us good stories to laugh about later. Good lessons anyway.

In my early 30's I had just adjusted the idle setting of our new to us single GB 36 and decided to do some docking practice. I made the 90 degree turn into our slip a bit fast when I dropped it into reverse while approaching the end of our slip way too fast. The motor died and in a split second I dropped over the side of the fly bridge, slipped into the cabin and punched the start button while advancing the throttle to the stop. The motor roared to life and in a second swift move I went back to idle and put the boat into neutral. The boat literally stopped dead less than a inch from the dock. A neighbor who had witnessed the mayhem yelled over " Nice move Capt Ron"
It was pure luck and not a bit of skill
Its still my favorite Kurt Russel movie.

HOLLYWOOD

In my early 30's I had just adjusted the idle setting of our new to us single GB 36 and decided to do some docking practice. I made the 90 degree turn into our slip a bit fast when I dropped it into reverse while approaching the end of our slip way too fast. The motor died and in a split second I dropped over the side of the fly bridge, slipped into the cabin and punched the start button while advancing the throttle to the stop. The motor roared to life and in a second swift move I went back to idle and put the boat into neutral. The boat literally stopped dead less than a inch from the dock. A neighbor who had witnessed the mayhem yelled over " Nice move Capt Ron"
It was pure luck and not a bit of skill
Its still my favorite Kurt Russel movie.

HOLLYWOOD

I think that one would have prompted me to add a second set of start buttons! I've never quite understood dual helm boats that can only be started from one of the helms.

I think that one would have prompted me to add a second set of start buttons! I've never quite understood dual helm boats that can only be started from one of the helms.

I noticed that on my boat also, I added that to my list. Add start/stop on flybridge. I figure in close quarters I'd be driving from the flybridge.

i had a boat that had a mechanical start linkage that could only be started in the engine room. you didn't want to kill that one on the approach.

I did a few days later.
HW

I learned 50 years ago that cowboy docking was not for me.

Many years ago I wrapped a crap trap line in my prop. Dove over and got the line off. Later that day, headed into a dock. The only spot to tie up was along side a beautiful. lapstrake sail boat. As I eased my ChrisCraft in and threw her into reverse to make the prefect docking - engine revved but zero power. Boat actually seemed to speed up. Mad rush by me and the other guys terrified wife, kept us from crashing.

Turns out my shaft completely pulled out of the coupling when I put her into reverse. This likely the result of the wrapped crab line? Never happened again on any vessel I have owned but I have forever since only completely relax on docking when I feel the reverse actually working.

That's one reason I always and always teach.... head for a spot near the berth and stop, then maneuver into the spot.

It usually checks the steering and all gears prior to heading for a solid object without checking first.

That's one reason I always and always teach.... head for a spot near the berth and stop, then maneuver into the spot.

And never approach any dock faster than you'd like to hit it.:D

And never approach any dock faster than you'd like to hit it.:D

Not always possible unless you only boat in fair weather or especially places with more than minimal current.

Not saying cowboy it, but less speed cn often be a big mistake in many cases.

Not always possible unless you only boat in fair weather or especially places with more than minimal current.

Not saying cowboy it, but less speed cn often be a big mistake in many cases.

For exactly that reason, I always phrase it as "as slow as possible, but as fast as necessary".

It usually checks the steering and all gears prior to heading for a solid object without checking first.

Yes. And have your speed readout available at a glance right in front of you. It's all too easy to be going faster than you should be.

Jim

My late uncle who was a superb boat handler used to say, "slow is smooth, smooth is fast".

Slow is pro.

Been taught before leaving while docklines still on and before entering a marina go forward, reverse and check bow(stern) thrusters.
Been taught plan a escape if things go south before attempting docking especially in a new to you marina. Often the dock master has a lot going on and gives you a poor description of where you’re suppose to end up. If uncertain will just stay outside until I have a clear idea. I assume there will be no one to hand a line to so go through that part of the evolution before entering. I’m a wimp so put fenders and lines on both sides.

I noticed that on my boat also, I added that to my list. Add start/stop on flybridge. I figure in close quarters I'd be driving from the flybridge.

I had start / stop controls at my aft steering station the whole time, but I didn't know it until recently. They were just unmarked black rubber boots on the dash. I didn't even realize they were buttons, let alone what they did.

For exactly that reason, I always phrase it as "as slow as possible, but as fast as necessary".

I like that a lot. I may steal that.

Slow is pro.

Been taught before leaving while docklines still on and before entering a marina go forward, reverse and check bow(stern) thrusters.
Been taught plan a escape if things go south before attempting docking especially in a new to you marina. Often the dock master has a lot going on and gives you a poor description of where you’re suppose to end up. If uncertain will just stay outside until I have a clear idea. I assume there will be no one to hand a line to so go through that part of the evolution before entering. I’m a wimp so put fenders and lines on both sides.

Lots of good advice there. I always do control tests before I depart. Ahead, astern, left, right, and from both stations. I've had a couple of friendly neighbors remind me that my lines were still on, assuming that I was trying to leave. It was good of them to say so though. So far I've only made that mistake once, and it was at work.

I attempted to back the boat away from a pier with the stern line still attached. It made a hell of a noise. It removed about 30 feet of railing from the stern... :facepalm: Could have been a lot worse. Nobody got hurt, and nothing critical was damaged.

Had a mate leave a port side spring on while taking the boss/family out on a Hinckley 48 I run for them. It came tight as I eased us out of the slip and it warped us into the piling with a thump. No damage (to the boat anyway):rolleyes: but quite embarrassing.

Took me a long time to learn how to carry enough speed to maintain rudder control and how to effectively use prop walk. I certainly approach docks faster than I used to but have a lot more control over the landing.

New boat this year.

First boat with twins (200hp Suzuki's) and first time with fly by wire controls.

We are second last boathouse closest to the shore. 40 boat pier.

First departure from the slip. I felt like Ted Knight in Caddyshack, no vessel contact but lots of drama. (say a days worth of drama in 5 minutes).

We then started going out at daybreak until I got a basic feel of the new controls.

The guys on the 75 foot boat behind our slip watched me leave the other day and applauded.

New boat this year.

First boat with twins (200hp Suzuki's) and first time with fly by wire controls.

We are second last boathouse closest to the shore. 40 boat pier.

First departure from the slip. I felt like Ted Knight in Caddyshack, no vessel contact but lots of drama. (say a days worth of drama in 5 minutes).

We then started going out at daybreak until I got a basic feel of the new controls.

The guys on the 75 foot boat behind our slip watched me leave the other day and applauded.

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new boat.

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new boat.

Thanks, I posted a build thread on another forum.

I didn't know if it was bad manners to post a link to the build here

It is a welded aluminum boat, very simple not trawler luxury but will be a nice simple boat to take north. (we are motorcycle travelers).

Took a few years to think about this one: Reverse operations wants to remove the shaft from the coupler, and the prop from the shaft.
Try the strong reverse maneuver before you need to.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom