Old 06-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Skipper or Captian?

Ya' know... I get called "Captain" a lot on the radio and on the dock. Having never been in the military, never earned the rank, and only being a boater at this level for 300-ish hours and about two years... I don't know how comfortable I am being called "Captain". I'm wondering what the difference the use of "Skipper" would be and should I start correcting people about it?
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #2

RE: Skipper or Captian?

Hi Gonzo

Maybe these people calling you captain have observed your boat handling skills and believe you warrant the title, so I would just accept it as a compliment and get on with life, to be called a captain is far better than many of the other things I have been called in my life.
GregJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
Guru

City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37

If you were in a floating bathtub, you could be a captain.* Or skipper.

Too many other things to worry about.* Go boating.* Or trawlering.* Or passagemaking, Or cruising.* Or ????
Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan

My wife is the Admiral and she gave me permission to be Captain.
I think they are respecting the operator of the vessel.
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
Grand Vizier

While I prefer "Sublime Protector of the Western Empire" for a title, I settle for Skipper. No one ever calls me Captain, *so it must be your boating skills that engender the respect. You're running the boat, so you're the Captain. *Go with the flow.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin

"I get called "Captain" a lot on the radio and on the dock. Having never been in the military, never earned the rank, and only being a boater at this level for 300-ish hours and about two years... I don't know how comfortable I am being called "Captain".

Well, if you get capt'n after only two years ,just think what they will call you in five years time. You may even get to be the new "Sublime Protector of the Western Empire". Of course you may have to scuttle the existing incumbent!
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:19 AM   #7

City: Tin Can Bay, Queensland, Australia
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee, Trawler

The term Captain is usually reserved for those that hold a commercial Masters certificate whereas Skipper is usually reserved for amateur boaties

Allan
AllanY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:39 AM   #8
FF
Guru

Agree , Captain is for pro mariners that have earned their living with their skills ,experience and expertise.

My USCG 100 Ton ticket doesn't even come close.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:38 AM   #9
Guru

Exactly... And yet, the term is thrown around pretty generally. That's part of my quandary.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:42 AM   #10

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Skipper or Captian?

I'll throw my 2 cents in here. In NAVY parlence, a Captain is the Commanding Officer of a ship(most captains are not the rank of Captain O-6, usually on cruisers and above they are, but frigates and below are usually a Commander, O-5) but are still called "Captain", whereas a Skipper is the Commanding Officer of an Aviation Squadron. You don't want to mix the two. NEVER call a Boat Captain Skipper, they are slightly uptight. Squadron CO's not so much!

As far a pleasure boating, who cares what they call you as long as they call in time for Happy Hour

-- Edited by knotheadcharters on Wednesday 8th of June 2011 04:43:49 AM
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:20 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34

Exactly. Either term is applicable because they are somewhat honorary titles in our sphere of boating, but captain in particular, if used in this context, is usually used 'tongue-in-cheek' I suspect. For example, when I wear one of my peaked caps with 'Captain' across the front. Point is not to take it too seriously. At the same time as skipper, you are ultimately responsible for the whole boat and crew's safety, so there is a serious side.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:57 AM   #12
Guru

Skipper or Captian?

I guess that with all things considered, I'm even uncomfortable being called, "Sir". And along the same lines, I tried to avoid being called an audio "engineer" when I was running shows because I never got an engineering degree. I was a "soundman" or "soundperson" (or A1 or A2). I suppose I am trying, in vain apparently, to have a little more respect for people that actually EARN the right to be called Captain. It just gives me the heebie-jeebies.

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Wednesday 8th of June 2011 06:58:02 AM
Old 06-08-2011, 07:03 AM   #13
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40

Take your pick!

As long as it's not a expletive... who cares!

HOLLYWOOD
Attached Images

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:08 AM   #14
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:
I guess that with all things considered, I'm even uncomfortable being called, "Sir". And along the same lines, I tried to avoid being called an audio "engineer" when I was running shows because I never got an engineering degree. I was a "soundman" or "soundperson" (or A1 or A2). I suppose I am trying, in vain apparently, to have a little more respect for people that actually EARN the right to be called Captain. It just gives me the heebie-jeebies.

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Wednesday 8th of June 2011 06:58:02 AM
*I think the term Captain in general boating*is used mostly because most of the time neither person knows the other person given name so to be polite they call you Captain.* As you are the person in charge of the vessel at that time.* Sounds better than some other names that could be, and at times deservedly, used.

"Hey Dumb A**"" sounds so crude.* It may be true but crude none the less.

JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:32 AM   #15
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Skipper or Captian?

Military considerations have nothing to do w it.

Captain refers to an individual that is a professional hired hand and commands the vessel for the owners.

Skipper refers to an operator of a boat whereas he (or she) commands the vessel but also owns it.

If a Captain went below decks, got into a poker game w the vessel's owner and won the vessel he would instant become the Skipper. Some on this forum perform as Captains while the vast majority are Skippers. And while Captian's command their own vessel they are Skippers.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Wednesday 8th of June 2011 08:34:46 AM
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:44 AM   #16
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Webster's Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary says:
<ul>[*]A skipper is (1) the master of a ship, especially the master of a fishing, small trading, or pleasure boat or (2) the captain or first pilot of an airplane.[*]A captain is (1) the commander of a body of troops or of a military establishment, or a commander under a sovereign or general, or an officer in charge of a ship, a commissioned officer in the navy ranking above a commander and below a commodore or a rear admiral, or*a commissioned officer in the army, air force, or marine corps ranking above a first lieutenant and below a major, or a distinguished military leader, or a leader of a side or team, or (2) a dominant figure.[/list]So, it would seem more appropriate that most of us*should be called a*"skipper" except for those who have delusions of grandeur who would prefer to be called "captain".
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #17
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Skipper or Captian?

Friends*started calling me the Skipper dude years ago when most first got into boating.

Mostly because I have*always had a boat of one form or another. I knew more about the boating thing than others.

The handle kind of stuck.

Where I come from It is also used as a term of respect.

If you have your captian's license you can be called cap't.

On the radio or ashore. I call any boat owner Skipper or Skip for short

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 8th of June 2011 10:08:01 AM
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:

*I think the term Captain in general boating*is used mostly because most of the time neither person knows the other person given name so to be polite they call you Captain.* As you are the person in charge of the vessel at that time.* Sounds better than some other names that could be, and at times deservedly, used.
"Hey Dumb A**"" sounds so crude.* It may be true but crude none the less.

*I agree. The two titles have nothing to do with the textbook definition other than it may point out to the person running the boat that he/she is IN CHARGE of the vessel. I think*calling someone "captain" is *better than saying "you're the boss" when asking for a decision as in "hey Captain, which line do you want secured first?" etc.

I also freely use the term "Hey A$$ hole"espeically when "asking" someone to control their wake. In that situation they don't have my respect.

jleonard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #19
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

I have friends with boats and for us- usually Cap'n is the term we use. It might be Cap'n Kirk, Cap'n Dave, etc.
Captain is very proper and deserving of someone who has earned the title. Cap'n- to me- is a laid back way to address others with a boat.
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:16 AM   #20
Guru

So... There seems to be no consensus. Just my own hangup them. Dratt. ;-)