My Anchor "Test"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hmason

Guru
Vessel Name
Lucky Lucky
Vessel Make
Pacific Mariner 65
So here we were cruising south from CT to FL, when we meet another couple heading south that turned out to be a friend of a friend. We asked if they would like to cruise their 36' trawler with us. They said they would enjoy that but that they had just had a really bad anchoring experience on the Alligator River. They had set their anchor, (a CQR knock off), went to bed and woke up in the middle of the night on the shore pounding on tree stumps. They were towed off the next morning, hauled the boat, (no damage) but were now afraid to anchor.

They decided to go to marinas for the rest of the trip although they admitted it would be a financial hardship for them. I felt bad for them, and sweet guy that I am, invited them to raft with us on the hook for the balance of the trip. And so they did, about 15 times.

We have a 60# Manson Supreme, and it held us both---our 46' GB Europa, and their 36' trawler. We had winds as high as 35 - 40 mph twice and some rough chop included. We did several 180s and anchored in some creeks with 3 kts of current. I used 6 or 7 to one scope with all chain. I took bearings and used Drag Queen. We never moved once. Gotta love my anchor and the shackle, even though it's the wrong one. Howard :dance:

Obviously no infamous Chesapeake mud in your travels...:D

Did you go over with them how to properly anchor a boat? Proper scope and setting the anchor by backing down on it? How to set an anchor drag alarm?

It was nice of you to let them raft up but if they are ever going to be independent they will have to learn how to properly anchor their boat.

Rwidman, Sure did give them the full lesson, and, they got to observe the technique 15 times. Now they just need to get the right anchor!

Psneeld,
I anchor in the Chesapeake often enough to know to bring my own bottom with me from CT.

I hear about people dragging all the time. My question is how in world does anyone get any sleep without setting an anchor alarm? sometimes I set two. Most of the time I sleep in the V-berth so I can hear wind as it picks up. Plus its cooler up there too. I still dont get it. I completely understand dragging. Anybody can get a bad break and anchor in grass or a tree top preventing the anchor setting. Everybody has their own technique setting the hook but not having an anchor/ drag alarm is total crazy.

Rwidman, Sure did give them the full lesson, and, they got to observe the technique 15 times. Now they just need to get the right anchor!
The right anchor???
Discuss.

It is amazing how many people don't know how to anchor.

Years ago, I linked up with a friend's yacht club cruise in Maine. We were all supposed to gather at Wreck Island in the Merchants Row area for a lobster bake. We were one of the first to anchor. The yachties all sailed off of moorings in Marblehead, Mass and some had never anchored before.

Later that day, I saw a guy with a new Sabre 42' sailboat trying to get his anchor to hold near us. From the angle of his rode, it looked like he only had a 2:1 scope out in 35' deep water. I asked my wife, can I go over and help him. She advised not to as we were guests of the group and didn't want to seem pushy.

Well after 4-5 tries I heard him yell something about the windlass giving up. So I said, I have to go help. I cranked up the ob and dinghied over. He said that the windlass just gave out, he had the anchor down, but it wouldn't hold. I said ok, just motor over and drag the anchor to where he wanted to drop it.

When we got there I said, let's pay out manually all of the rode you have on board which was maybe 200'; he had maybe 75' out at that point. He did so and it grabbed. Plus we reset the windlass circuit breaker and all was well after that.

We were all newbies once.

David

I hear about people dragging all the time. My question is how in world does anyone get any sleep without setting an anchor alarm? sometimes I set two. Most of the time I sleep in the V-berth so I can hear wind as it picks up. Plus its cooler up there too. I still dont get it. I completely understand dragging. Anybody can get a bad break and anchor in grass or a tree top preventing the anchor setting. Everybody has their own technique setting the hook but not having an anchor/ drag alarm is total crazy.
:thumb::thumb:

Attachments

• Anchor drag1.jpg
    Anchor drag1.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 225
That looks like my Polar navy program used on my laptop. That track looks horrible. The wind must have been really blowing hard. That also looks like a pier you got real close to. Yikes !!

What type of knock off was it

Also did ask them about the details of there anchoring

I am sure after the 15th time they had to of started gettting comfort in proper anchoring

:)Wasn't the CQR originally developed to hold down dirigibles CQR is supposed to mean secure. Maybe you have to stake it down.:)

The only time I set an active anchor alarm - low water - is when the winds are strong (+20kts) or predicted to be so. This is maybe 10% of the time. If winds above 30kts an active alert watch person is common for us with correct instruments functioning.

When winds are not strong, I will always set a mark and boundary on the plotter and able to see if we have dragged - once I fire up the plotter.

In PNW tidal surge areas where 12 feet is common and 18 not unusual a close eye on bottom topography is required prior to setting the anchor.

Good anchor, rode and - knock on wood - following anchor protocol 101 more than makes up for an electric tell tale IMHO.

:)Wasn't the CQR originally developed to hold down dirigibles CQR is supposed to mean secure. Maybe you have to stake it down.:)

SkipperDude, where have you been. Missed you.

That looks like my Polar navy program used on my laptop. That track looks horrible. The wind must have been really blowing hard. That also looks like a pier you got real close to. Yikes !!

That's it, truth be told I probably would have held on the 45# delta if I would have had enough chain/rode out. I am always learning. When the wind picked up I should have put out another 40-50 feet of chain. I was only in 7-10 feet of water and fairly close quarters. When we drug in the middle of the night I was going to head for a marina but the admiral vetoed that Idea and said we are picking up the private mooring ball just 200 feet behind us. Its good to have smarter crew on board:blush:

I always set all my alarms when anchoring. Radar proximity, gps boundary and shallow water. And I use a stupidly large Danforth, around 100 lbs. IIRC. No chain on my sporty, all chain on the trawler. The master stateroom is below on my sporty, the trawler has a very comfortable double pilot berth in the pilot house making it easy to look up occasionally at your surroundings. I like that when anchoring.

It is amazing how many people don't know how to anchor.

Years ago, I linked up with a friend's yacht club cruise in Maine. We were all supposed to gather at Wreck Island in the Merchants Row area for a lobster bake. We were one of the first to anchor. The yachties all sailed off of moorings in Marblehead, Mass and some had never anchored before.

Later that day, I saw a guy with a new Sabre 42' sailboat trying to get his anchor to hold near us. From the angle of his rode, it looked like he only had a 2:1 scope out in 35' deep water. I asked my wife, can I go over and help him. She advised not to as we were guests of the group and didn't want to seem pushy.

Well after 4-5 tries I heard him yell something about the windlass giving up. So I said, I have to go help. I cranked up the ob and dinghied over. He said that the windlass just gave out, he had the anchor down, but it wouldn't hold. I said ok, just motor over and drag the anchor to where he wanted to drop it.

When we got there I said, let's pay out manually all of the rode you have on board which was maybe 200'; he had maybe 75' out at that point. He did so and it grabbed. Plus we reset the windlass circuit breaker and all was well after that.

We were all newbies once.

David

:thumb::thumb:

hey Skipperdude, Us Wittidiots need to stick together, but why am I turning my head to veiw your avatar.....:)

I see these anchoring threads frequently and I just do not know what all the fuss is.

We have run Bruce Knockoffs on all of our boats over the years, and never needed to spend a thousand dollars on a special brand anchor to keep our boat in one spot.

Put out a decent scope, set the anchor, and set an anchor watch on the gps then relax.

Geez... is it really that hard :banghead:

Geez... is it really that hard :banghead:

For most it is the chatter factor. Who else is there to talk to on this rather "popular" topic other than ourselves. It is hardly the topic of conversation at the company Christmas party. But I agree, it is not that hard, except for the purveyors of advertising space.

hey Skipperdude, Us Wittidiots need to stick together, but why am I turning my head to veiw your avatar.....:)

I wish knew tried it twice. Could be this I phone. I'm in California now. Could that have something to do with it?

I wish knew tried it twice. Could be this I phone. I'm in California now. Could that have something to do with it?

It may that your closer to Australia

There you go, Skipperdude...avatar fixed as a public service. Your Alaskan iphone in California places a left leaning bias on all you see. You'll get used to it after a week or so.

SkipperDude, where have you been. Missed you.

I don't know Don. Just trying to keep busy. I had to repower. Took a lot of time and energy. With a new motor the boat is just about perfect. I'm in LA now heading up to SF on Monday. Gonna drive the coast. Hope to hook up with Flyright for a boat ride on the SF bay.

There you go, Skipperdude...avatar fixed as a public service. Your Alaskan iphone in California places a left leaning bias on all you see. You'll get used to it after a week or so.

Hey thanks. I can't hook up the lap top no internet where I am. Driving me crazy trying to do things on this iPhone.

SD

Sunchaser, yes they are on the "inverter bank" or house bank as I call it. My radar has a momentary feature that turns on the unit at preset intervals to "check" instead of running constantly. The gps and sonar use very little power. The usage when anchoring is a non issue as we will normally be moving soon and I have a pair of 250 amp DN50 bus alternators that recharge the house bank as quickly as possible, or a pair of 2000 watt inverters that can charge at a combined 200 amps from the gen. I have never dragged anchor, but I'm still paranoid about it.

I don't know Don. Just trying to keep busy. I had to repower. Took a lot of time and energy. With a new motor the boat is just about perfect. I'm in LA now heading up to SF on Monday. Gonna drive the coast. Hope to hook up with Flyright for a boat ride on the SF bay.

I'll meet you next week, SD! FlyWright and I will give your iPhone the float test....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom