Much less lightning over salt water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff F

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
When It Comes to Lightning, Don’t Pass the Salt https://nyti.ms/3JT0hQP

Interesting. These guys say that salt water inhibits lightning by up to 90%.

I know of a bunch of boats that have been hit by lightning on the Great Lakes but it always seemed to me to be less common on the coasts. I guess it really is.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Trawler Forum mobile app

I've seen plenty of lightening on the Great Lakes, and also plenty on the Atlantic seaboard and way out in the Atlantic. So maybe it is less but far from none.

Maybe for the same reason electric shock drowning is more a freswater thing.

It might be 'less common' over salt water, but I still wouldn't want to be the highest point (like, a boat, especially with a tall mast) for miles around in the middle of a thunderstorm out on salt water.

Plenty of boats out on salt water get hit by lightning (such as a friend of mine in his 40 ft sailboat). Not much comfort knowing it's 'less common' if you're one of them (but the science is very interesting).

I've seen plenty of lightening on the Great Lakes, and also plenty on the Atlantic seaboard and way out in the Atlantic. So maybe it is less but far from none.

Comparing 'plenty' with 'plenty' is somewhat anecdotal. The same? more? less? by how much? The OP posts that the NYTimes article indicates a difference of 90%, which is statistically significant. However, I can't read the article as it appears to be behind a pay wall, so I'm not clear on the details, the claim or the credibility of the source or their scientific analysis.

Of the offshore Atlantic strikes, were these fiberglass boats or huge steel vessels? Lightening is looking for a path to ground, which is tough in salt water. Those Ive seen struck in saltwater on the eastern seaboard have been tied to a dock or mooring. But again, that is anecdotal.

It’s been a while since I tracked these stats but as I recall Tampa Bay was #1 and Chesapeake Bay #2 and these ratings coincide with insurance loss hit claims. Both taste salty to me.

Rick

It’s been a while since I tracked these stats but as I recall Tampa Bay was #1 and Chesapeake Bay #2 and these ratings coincide with insurance loss hit claims. Both taste salty to me.

Rick

Use to live on the Eastern side of Chesapeake Bay. Lots of afternoon storms would roll across the Bay and across the Delmarva peninsula. While I never tracked how many boats were damaged by lightning, it seemed to be a regular occurrence in August.

Wonder if humidity is a factor in lighting strikes?

Ted

What always interested me is
Catamarans get hit twice as often as monohulls.
Metal boats can still sink if marelon fails.
Indirect hits are as common as direct.
Florida is the strike capital of the US
Bars with sharp edges are better direct grounds than foil or rounded shapes even if surface area is the same.
Once spent a miserable week 100-150nm north of the Bahamas surrounded a full 360 by lightning. No significant rain. 90-100% humidity and light air. East coast and Gulf Stream had 40-60kts from the northwest. No direct strikes. Everything possible in a faraday box or the stove. Lost two LEDs. Lopolights in the hard dodger but nothing else. Never got struck. Weird.

I’m not smart enough to break down lightning path dynamics but I do know that most lightning ground procedures from NFPA to ABYC are a bit of a damage control crap shoot. Their bonding methods may save blowing a hole in your hull if you are a sailboat with chain plates but your electrical and electronics inventory is another matter.

In one year I handled twenty hits from Marblehead Harbor, Salem Harbor to Gloucester. With exception of four gillnetters alongside the rest of the vessels were sail, a few trawler types with spars and a few console type sport fish with big new electronic controlled outboards.

From what we could tell one or two tall rig sailboats shook hands with Zeus in the mooring field and subsequent side flashes wreaked electronic havoc on the others. Todays electronics don’t tolerate electrical spikes including outboard and engine black boxes. Marine underwriters hate these losses since almost all repairs are impossible if power supplies are damaged and since in a few years most modern units and parts are no longer available as new and improved is a ceaseless marketing progression. Most manufacturers don’t try very hard maintaining older parts or bench repairs. Back then a full ‘ Yacht Policy ‘ was new for old so the assured ends up with the latest greatest replacement.

Rick

Back
Top Bottom