MPA Antifouling products

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carey

Guru
Vessel Name
Happy Destiny
Vessel Make
Custom Lobster Yacht
Is anyone familiar with MPA Antifouling products? They use lanolin (fat from sheeps wool) for bottom coating for boats and a separate product for props, shafts and rudders.

I don't have personal experience with the product, but did meet a sailboat owner many years ago that used lanolin on his bottom, and claimed that what I was looking at was a bottom treated six years prior. I would have thought it had just been coated.

I am due for new bottom paint, and thought I'd look into it this time. I googled lanolin bottom coatings and found this company.

If you or anyone you know has experience with this product or other lanolin products, I'd really like to hear about it.

http://www.anti-foul.com.au/about_our_anti_foul_products.htm

-- Edited by Carey on Thursday 2nd of February 2012 12:15:42 AM

-- Edited by Carey on Thursday 2nd of February 2012 11:29:03 PM

I sent them an email asking if they have any distributors in the US...or FL. I've often wondered about the use of anhydrous lanolin on props and bottoms. I hadn't seen this one... Thanks! If you come up with anyone who has experience with the product...I'd be interested to know about it also.

JAT wrote:
If you come up with anyone who has experience with the product...I'd be interested to know about it also.
* * * * Me too! They're about to outlaw copper paint down here.

Time to stock up on copper paint... BTW, you can get tri-butyl tin at the house paint shop, as an anti mildew additive.

My friendly boat broker swears that Penaten diaper rash creme greatly cuts down on marine growth when smeared on props/shafts/struts/fittings/etc. He even gave me a can when I had the boat hauled so I took a few minutes and applied some. He says it works as well as or better than any marine product. Hope he is right. It is a German formula more than 100 years old. I think Johnson & Johnson distribute it in the USA. It has lanolin in it so maybe similar idea to the MPA stuff. Anyone else use/heard of Penaten for marine bottoms instead of baby bottoms?*

Joe

I have heard of using this stuff, for years. I have not tried it myself, as I haven't had anyone in diapers handy when doing the bottom. Where I have heard of it being quite successful is on the running gear. How far will it spread? How much can you get for the price of a can of antifouling paint?

i recently noticed adds about E-paint, also some other types of "copper paints" just recently having been approved for use in california.
they claim it has a 10 year duration, and prevents growth as well.. wonder if anyone has tried this type bottom paint?
http://www.epaint.net/news.shtm#s8

koliver wrote:
Joe

I have heard of using this stuff, for years. I have not tried it myself, as I haven't had anyone in diapers handy when doing the bottom. Where I have heard of it being quite successful is on the running gear. How far will it spread? How much can you get for the price of a can of antifouling paint?
*Koliver, a 5oz tin costs about $8 or $9. I used about one-quarter to one-third of a tin to coat my twin running gear (prop/shafts/struts). A little goes a long way when you work it in well while wearing a latex glove. So for $2-3, and a half-hour's work it was worth a try to see if it cuts down on growth.*

I've been emailing back and forth with a fellow at the company. At present it appears they don't have any distribution point here in the US...or at least not in FL. They are trying to get one in Miami...

What I did find out is that it would cost about $80 to do the running gear and a pair of props.... Haven't gotten an idea what a bottom job would cost.

Here's the fellow I've been emailing about the products: rossco27@arach.net.au

Back
Top Bottom