Moving Engine Intake Strainer in GB 32.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grandbanksbayfield

Vessel Name
Solvogn
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 32
I have a GB32, the Solvogn, probably you can see it in the albums. Here is my concern: The engine water strainer in very low, in front of the engine, to port. Getting down to it to check the strainer, etc. is nearly impossible. I want to move the strainer into the area near the intake seacock. This space is accessible from the front cabin at the bottom of the steps one descends to go down to the v-berth. You open the hatch in the floor and there is the intake seacock, electric bilge pump, etc. I cannot see any reason the strainer could not be in that area just aft of the intake seacock. There is a large fore-to-aft stringer to port of this cavity. It sounds hollow, meaning that it is most likely molded fiberglass. Would there be any problem tapping into the stringer with a few screws to hold the bracket which in turn the Groco strainer hangs from? Total intake hose length would not be increased, just rearranged.

Nothing wrong with the location that I can think of.
How heavy is the strainer? That may take some thinking about.

I would though be a bit cautious about using just screws into what may be thin fiberglass. Sometimes screws do not bite well enough into frp where a heavy part is held.

I would expect the frp to actually be fairly thick though on a stringer but I would still add some more cloth and resin to build up the thickness for the screw to bite into.
Use epoxy and build up another 1/4".

You might even use a piece of aluminum 1/4 thick with tapped heli coiled threaded holes and use the epoxy to hold it into place. Or do the same with 3/4" or 1" plywood.

I can think of several other ways to ensure it stays put but that should get you started.

If that stringer is hollow I really wouldn't want to run screws into it. I have seen folks fiberglass angle iron or wood to the stringer and mount accessories to the added block or angle.

pete

If that stringer is hollow I really wouldn't want to run screws into it. I have seen folks fiberglass angle iron or wood to the stringer and mount accessories to the added block or angle.

pete

I would use wood tabbed into the stringer. Or make a wood "saddle" to go over the stringer.

Drill a small test hole in the stringer in the location you want to locate screw.
At least you’ll be able to determine the thickness of the stringer, which I suspect you’ll find is quite robust.
The strainer is not prone to strains or vibrations that could be damaging, has rubber hoses in and out that isolate it.

Back
Top Bottom