Movie night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Cannibal women in the avocado jungle of death.
Pterodactyl woman from Beverly Hills.
Luggage of the Gods.
The terror of tiny town.
Rocky Horror picture show.
Duck Soup (Of course!)
To Wong Foo Thanks for everything.
Please don't eat my mother.

....Just a few.

Away All Boats, with Jeff Chandler.

My favorites:
"The enemy below"
"The hunt of the october red"
Maybe one more..
"Crimson tide"

Several movies have been mentioned to scare visitors into leaving. How about a picture, my favorite: Raft of Medusa.

Le gran blu ("the big blue")
Life aquatic with Steve zissou
Finding Nemo
Thunderbolt
Deep star six
The abyss
Life of pi

img_503009_0_6097fe6f2cd328d25dd8d880a3472a99.html

The Caine Mutiny.

Excellent choice, in addition to the Academy Award caliber acting, there is a lot of "underway" destroyer action. If you look at my original post, I already have this one.

I have a special relationship with this particular movie. The title role in the movie is played by the USS Doyle (DMS34) in which my Dad was the Chief of the Firecontrol Gang in 1950-51, before the filming of the movie.

img_503009_0_6097fe6f2cd328d25dd8d880a3472a99.html

Attachments

• doyle-47.JPG
    doyle-47.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 68
Caine Mutiny

img_503030_0_6097fe6f2cd328d25dd8d880a3472a99.html

If you look at my original post, I already have this one.

I have a special relationship with this particular movie. The title role in the movie is played by the USS Doyle (DMS34) in which my Dad was the Chief of the Firecontrol Gang in 1950-51, before the filming of the movie.

OOPS, Too many posts ago:confused:
OT. My dad serviced aboard the SS319 Becuna during that same time.

Captains Courageous - Spencer Tracy
Moby Dick - Gregory Peck

When i was a kid my brother and I saw Moby Dick. Scared the heck out of us. Our dad was in the Navy and all we could think about was him fighting whales. My brother told me he was on a carrier in WW2, so not to worry about it.

Last edited:
Captains Courageous - Spencer Tracy
Moby Dick - Gregory Peck

Good choices, both. Peck at his best; I already have "Hornblower" with him and Virginia Mayo as Lady Barbara Wellesley.

I think not. Historically absurd, and a story line so implausible as to be insulting.

So, we're limiting this list to movies that are historically faithful with plausible story lines.

Well, that will be a VERY short list. At least the OP will save some money on DVDs.

October Sky
Blazing Saddles
The Great Race
Those magnificent men in their flying machines
Catch 22
The Russians are coming..The Russians are coming (My favorite movie)
The battle of Britain
K Pax.
The Brother from outer space

So, we're limiting this list to movies that are historically faithful with plausible story lines.

Well, that will be a VERY short list. At least the OP will save some money on DVDs.

Not at all. Most of this list is fiction, some of it quite fanciful...but IMHO U-571 just stinks.

Let me cite just one example: its early 1942 and you find yourself stuck in a German submarine which you need to take to an Allied port without getting killed. Do you:

Go home to America which is so poorly defended that the Germans refer to this as "The Happy Time"? Odds suggest they could have cruised into the Brooklyn Navy Yard undetected.

Or do you head east, confronting the RN, which has been polishing their massive antisubmarine effort for 2.5 years?

And how do we find a solitary German destroyer at a time when leaving coastal waters was a suicidal move for German surface vessels?

Last edited:
October Sky

The Russians are coming..The Russians are coming (My favorite movie)

You have excellent taste indeed. Pop quiz: the Russian sub captain made another submarine movie. ??

Last edited:
It's interesting that there are very similar tastes in movies here. We put all our DVD's in aluminium cases to save space when we moved aboard. Adding to the list,

The Sea Wolves

Warship, the British series based on a Leander class Frigate. Available from Amazon.uk

Malta Story

Mister Roberts

Operation Pacific

We dive at Dawn

Morning Departure

The Battle of the River Plate

Down Periscope

In Harms Way

The Dish. Not boat related and its humor might be more Australian specific but one of my favourites.

//Jetstream//

Thanks for joining the game. Your list is clearly more oriented to the Commonwealth (is that even "a thing "anymore?) I've mentioned my desire to acquire "In Which We Serve," dont know "We Dive At Dawn". Ill try to find "...River Plate" which I think I saw 50 ago. What's the one about the kayak commandos?

I certainly agree with "Mr. Roberts.", am certain to include it, as we sail "from Tedium to Apathy with an occasional trip to Ennui."

Last edited:
Cockleshell Hero's might be the one your referring to with kayak commandos in it. Certainly some great suggestions for you here. I like almost anything naval but your right probably prefer Commonwealth content.

Greetings,
Mr. AP. Thanks for that bit of info' on the "Russian Captain" (Theodore Bikel-had to look it up). Quite a versatile performer. I have no idea why it's become my favorite movie other than the inherent silliness but I'm an Alan Arkin and Jonathan Winters fan.

Greetings,
Mr. AP. Thanks for that bit of info' on the "Russian Captain" (Theodore Bikel-had to look it up). Quite a versatile performer. I have no idea why it's become my favorite movie other than the inherent silliness but I'm an Alan Arkin and Jonathan Winters fan.

I have loved that movie since I was a kid.

Don't know if it's already been covered; but The African Queen for a classic. And if you are, or ever were a sailor, you should include the fantastic sleeper "Wind".

Not actually a movie but how about episodes of "The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau". I still enjoy watching these....

Your kidding

Wifey B: Pirates of the Caribbean.

And love On Golden Pond, by the way.

However, I eliminate all the water and boating movies with bad stuff in them. Don't invite someone to your beach home and then show them Jaws. :nonono:

Plus why all boat and water related? Oh, I'd just have some good fun comedy?

Were you serious about the dvd part? :rofl: That's oh so last century. :hide:

The perfect storm...... I mean everyone should know all the issues other wise it's propaganda and not near as much fun! For instance, what if someone is over staying their welcome. I found on the ocean you should be prepared for possibilities!

The perfect storm...... I mean everyone should know all the issues other wise it's propaganda and not near as much fun! For instance, what if someone is over staying their welcome. I found on the ocean you should be prepared for possibilities!

Wifey B: We adore our guests and they're welcome to stay as long as they will. Unfortunately, most of them have to go back to work. Now, on the lake one time....omg. Neighbors had a visitor. Was supposed to be a guy they knew and a girl who was traveling with him. Well, they had a fight and he left and the girl was still there. So, the neighbors and the mystery girl went out with us. She insisted on getting up on the sunpad at the back where we never let anyone ride for fear of a roll off into the props and to the bottom of the lake. Well, hubby tells her once. She gets back up there as soon as he starts us moving again. Now, not a happy man. He told her if she got back up there the third time that she'd be walking or swimming back as wherever we were he'd just put her out of the boat and she could get back on her own. He never raised her voice but she knew he was serious. :angry: She did not get back up there. Only problem we've ever had. :)

Back
Top Bottom