Most Important Dock Hand Skills & Traits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It will be interesting to see if the money spent on hiring employees matches the money spent on infrastructure.

Sometimes they are not nearly the same.

And that can greatly impact what you can expect from management all the way to the dock hands. Especially if the dock hands are seasonal and/or considered expendable from year to year.

Last edited:
For the person who answers the VHF as a boat is coming in - current and wind conditions at the marina should be relayed when the boat is approaching. Letting the boater know EARLY (before you ever see them) whether they should be a port or starboard, bow in or stern in tie-up is very important for the deck hand, which is always me. I try to get the lines rigged for docking well beforehand to make docking as stress free as I can. I absolutely hate it when I have to do a last minute change. It's not always easy for my husband to do a donut while I rearrange the lines.
One suggestion, although not for dock hands, is to have a video of the approach and entry to your marina available online, as well as a good, clearly marked dock map so that boats that haven't been there before will know exactly which slip is the one you have told them to go into. A marina we stopped in last year had drone footage of the approach into their marina, starting with the channel markers where we turned off, then brought us up the channel into the marina, with the appropriate footage of a bird's eye view of the marina. A posted map showed a labeled layout of the marina so there was no doubt as to where we were to go. When we made the reservations we got an email with the link with the footage and maps and were told to watch it before coming. We watched it several times, and then watched again on a phone right before we got there. It made it so incredibly easy and stress free because we knew exactly where to go. Coming into a new marina with a big boat and not knowing where to go is VERY nerve wracking, and weather or current conditions on top of that can make it very stressful. Thanks for asking for suggestions!

All the advance intel desired about marinas and yacht club configuration and information is available, at least in the PNW, in the various books, guides, internet etc. Wagoneer and other publications have maps and other useful information about the marina.

Google maps and other mapping software is a good source of a birds eye view of the docks.

We try to be self sufficient and not rely on any assistance from the marina. When you get too used to having help docking and help doesn't arrive, then what do you do? We get a big kick listening on the VHF when someone calls in for a slip and the caller wants a bow in port/starboard tie and the marina answers that the request can not be filled but backing into the slip would have the dock on the appropriate side. The caller goes into orbit and asks the marina to send down many dock hands to assist.

The marinas that have helpful staff like Port Sidney and Roche Harbor are extremely crowded and very expensive. We try to avoid those types of marinas.

We get a big kick listening on the VHF when someone calls in for a slip and the caller wants a bow in port/starboard tie and the marina answers that the request can not be filled but backing into the slip would have the dock on the appropriate side. The caller goes into orbit and asks the marina to send down many dock hands to assist.

Why do you get a "big kick" out of that?

Another vote that dock hands should "know the current and wind".

If the slip has significant current, advise the captain on the way in by radio which way he'll be set.

And if the wind or current will be driving the boat off the dock, realize that "time is of the essence" to get both a bow and stern line on a cleat - especially if the boat will be set down on a neighboring boat.

And a trick that most skipper's don't know is that that in difficult docking situations it's often best to set a spring from a midships cleat to a dock cleat at the boat's stern and leave the boat in gear. The prop will hold the boat against the dock while other lines are put on. I've had dock hands totally baffled by the request to put the line on "THAT CLEAT".

Another vote that dock hands should "know the current and wind".

If the slip has significant current, advise the captain on the way in by radio which way he'll be set.

And if the wind or current will be driving the boat off the dock, realize that "time is of the essence" to get both a bow and stern line on a cleat - especially if the boat will be set down on a neighboring boat.

And a trick that most skipper's don't know is that that in difficult docking situations it's often best to set a spring from a midships cleat to a dock cleat at the boat's stern and leave the boat in gear. The prop will hold the boat against the dock while other lines are put on. I've had dock hands totally baffled by the request to put the line on "THAT CLEAT".
I would never rely on a dockhand to give me current and wind conditions... thats, my job. I want situational awareness, just show me where the slip is and I'll make the rest of the decisions on lines, bow in or out.
I will take some local marina anomolies on specific slip or approach fairways...with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

While I understand that approach, and see it mentioned often, we chose not to go that way.

We always back into a slip. The first line handed to the dock hand (who is always standing at the outer end of the finger) is the line attached to the dock side stern with the instruction to take a turn around the innermost dock cleat and keep tightening and finally cleat as I bring the boat in. A line around the innermost cleat also allows you to keep the outer engine in forward gear and hold the boat if you need to. However also using the outer engine in reverse with taps on the bow thruster as needed keeps the boat tight to the dock as it goes in and allows the other lines to be added.

If the first line handed to the dock hand is a line cleated midships, then that line is doing nothing to hold the boat to the dock until the midships cleat is in the slip - and that can be a while on a 53 foot boat.

So really whatever the skipper and crew find works for them.

Last edited:
I am just happy my marina opened the bathrooms up this weekend.

Couldn't agree more Jack...but realistically....most boaters are way off on their guesses.

Experience takes time and so many have jumped up to their necks into boating.

Even experienced boaters just dont spend enough time focused on these basic skills as they have non related jobs and other pastimes.

Having someone at the marina to pass the basics is nice, but I wouldn't bet the ranch on its accuracy.

I think the answer to this issue is having every boater book a slip at St Augustine City Marina and have to go in and out every day for a week at mid tide! :D

Why do you get a "big kick" out of that?

We get a kick because here in the PNW, a boater is lucky to get any slip at a marina during the busy period. Unless reserved in advance. We will take any slip offered to us especially if we are calling the marina towards the afternoon. Back in, bow in, starboard or port, short dock, narrow slip, we're just grateful that a spot is available. Asking for a specific docking orientation is a fairly recent phenomenon here with all the new boaters joining our ranks in the last 15 years.

And we get a kick that the boater can not alter his plan and back into the slip. But that boater will most likely have difficulty docking bow first so backing into a slip will be a cluster.

Most marinas will send out staff if you request assistance and other boaters will definitely help you get docked.

We get a kick that many newer boaters expect some sort of deluxe service at marinas and assistance docking. Most of the marinas are either owned by municipalities or small mom and pop operation and have limited staff. They don't advertise that they offer any docking assistance but the low information boaters assume that help is available.

We get a kick that boaters don't research a destination prior to going to it to have some Intel. Books, guides and the internet have vast amounts of information about marinas. Some marinas always offer assistance to maximize revenue and to minimize "railing benders" but boaters don't do the homework.

If a boater in the PNW wants deluxe service and lots of docking assistance, those marinas exist, if one does the research. Or from previous experience.

Is that enough?

I would be happy with the port side/starboard side tie question being answered correctly better than 50%. When its wrong, we stand off and swap everything over while they wait. Maybe they learn from that. Just maybe.

They need to know how to work the ropes friendly and knowledge of the area places to fish charter boats ect. Beauty supply ,saloons ,quicky maps of the area places to go and see thats what we all looke for in a great marina

I would be happy with the port side/starboard side tie question being answered correctly better than 50%. When its wrong, we stand off and swap everything over while they wait. Maybe they learn from that. Just maybe.

My wife believes in placing fenders and lines on both sides of the boat prior to entering any marina every time, whether we've been there before or not. Even if I know the slips configuration and orientation.

Circumstances may change and we might want to switch the side to dock on or whether to back in or stern in. Current or wind and their direction may change our approach to the dock that I can only assess after getting close to the slip. Location of pilings, transformers and other obstacles in the slip might change our docking. The type of boat in the adjacent slip or if the adjacent slip is currently not occupied can have a bearing on how we dock.

Eyes on the ground is a lot more accurate than getting information from a non boating marina summer hire.

Be prepared for anything when going into a marina. Especially the further you go north in the PNW. Those marinas north of Nanimo have a short earning season so they try to maximize income with the space they have. Med tying, dropping anchors, rafting, shallow anchorages etc are the norm during the summer months.

How many times have you seen a boat come in unprepared and the captain is rushing the crew to get lines and fenders switched to the other side because of one issue or another getting into the slip and the first mate is yelling at the captain?

I don't think summer hires complain about having to wait for you to get ready. After all, they are paid by the hour and standing around waiting for you is a lot more fun than cleaning bathrooms, emptying the trash and other work.

Last edited:
I try to get the lines rigged for docking well beforehand to make docking as stress free as I can. I absolutely hate it when I have to do a last minute change. It's not always easy for my husband to do a donut while I rearrange the lines.

We've had that problem in the past. On our last trips we began leaving fenders pre-deployed (just kicked up on deck while underway) on both sides of the boat... and with lines immediately available everywhere... so when the dock hand said things like "just kidding!" about their earlier port-to or starboard-to guidance... we could just go with the flow.

If the first line handed to the dock hand is a line cleated midships, then that line is doing nothing to hold the boat to the dock until the midships cleat is in the slip - and that can be a while on a 53 foot boat.

A spring line led forward to a dock cleat or pile from our midships's cleat allows me to pin the boat against the dock by using gear astern.

A spring line led aft to a dock cleat or pile from our midships cleat allows me to pin the boat against the dock by using gear forward.

-Chris

A spring line led forward to a dock cleat or pile from our midships's cleat allows me to pin the boat against the dock by using gear astern.

A spring line led aft to a dock cleat or pile from our midships cleat allows me to pin the boat against the dock by using gear forward.

-Chris

Of course. But the issue is that does not happen until the midships cleat is in the slip. You boat is loose until then.

If you are going in on a blow as soon as you stern quarter enters the slip and you hand a stern line off, your stern can be held either by the dock hand or with a turn around each of the dock cleats as you continue to come in. At any time you can use your outside engine in forward, or better still your bow thuster, to keep the boat aligned.

As I said, that's the way myself and crew do it and it works well for us and dock hands.

There are many techniques that are developed by crews that work for them.

Sometimes they are universal, sometimes they work better only on some boats, but not on others.

If going into a marina of mostly fixed docks, be careful of hanging fenders over the side till you absolutely need them. I have seen more and worse damage from fenders hanging up on pilings at the wrong time than actually protecting the boat. That is assuming you can get in a slip with minimal pinballing. :D

Of course. But the issue is that does not happen until the midships cleat is in the slip. You boat is loose until then.

At any time you can use your outside engine in forward, or better still your bow thuster, to keep the boat aligned.

Oh, sure, throw THAT in my face!

:)

Yes, boat can be loose with a forward spring line... although a forward pile is usually the first attachment point wifey and the foredeck can get a line on... with our midship's cleat immediately adjacent to the pile... so not too bad, we can just spring on that the rest of the way in.

Or a dock guy could take an aft spring line from our midship's cleat and do the same thing, still don't need to be too far into the slip for that to work.

In the meantime, I'm shopping for a bow thruster.

With a boat attached. :)

-Chris

In the meantime, I'm shopping for a bow thruster.

With a boat attached. :)

-Chris

Might as well go for a stern thruster as well, then who needs dock hands! :D

For the port / starboard tie thing, with my boat I always take a port side tie if possible and as a transient, I'll pull or back in as needed to get it. I only take a stbd side tie if there's a good reason to, as I only have an aft rail gate on the stbd side (aft and center on the port) and my power inlets are on the port side as well (so I suck up a lot of cord running them around the boat if I'm stbd side to).

The only time I'm specific about asking for a combination of bow/stern and port/stbd is if I'm coming in somewhere with an issue that limits maneuverability. Then I'll ask them to provide the combination I know I can best put the boat into if they're able to.

My only pet peeve with dock hands, and I understand there are plenty of idiot boaters out there, is let me dock the boat. I'll tell you what I need. I've docked this boat many times and you've never docked her once. I was in the Bahamas last year when a dockhand unknowingly fastened a spring line as I backed up and made me come in hard against the dock, damaging a ladder and making me look like an idiot. I wasn't pleased but he got a tip anyway. I'm sure they have their share of folks that just aim at the dock and these guys do everything! All of the other ideas listed above are great.

I read somewhere, never put a line over until the captain says to put a line over. Then, put the designated line over to the designated cleat. If you have to throw a line to a dock hand, don’t throw right at him. He should be smart enough to hold out the arm, giving you an indication where he expects the line. If he doesn’t put his arm out, throw the line off to the side you select, designating the dock cleat you want.

We've had that problem in the past. On our last trips we began leaving fenders pre-deployed (just kicked up on deck while underway) on both sides of the boat... and with lines immediately available everywhere...
We do the same thing except we don't have spring lines deployed. Stern lines and bow lines are deployed so with either one cleated we can pin the boat against the dock with the engines.

Attachments

• Fenders on deck.jpg
    Fenders on deck.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 22
I read somewhere, never put a line over until the captain says to put a line over. Then, put the designated line over to the designated cleat. If you have to throw a line to a dock hand, don’t throw right at him. He should be smart enough to hold out the arm, giving you an indication where he expects the line. If he doesn’t put his arm out, throw the line off to the side you select, designating the dock cleat you want.

My wife will not hand a line to helpers on the dock until I give the go ahead. Too many instances of eager helpers screwing up my docking by either yanking on the line or short cleating it before I'm done manuerverying.

When the helpers on the dock insist she throw them a line, she let's them know that they will get the line when I give the word.

As for catching a line someone throws. I will never let anyone throw a line at my arms. Been hit in the face by poor line throwers. I have them aim for the dock at my feet and step on it.

...and then there's throwing the line short and into the water the first time, hauling it back in, and then getting them in the face with it the next throw!

...and then there's throwing the line short and into the water the first time, hauling it back in, and then getting them in the face with it the next throw!

I hate that the most!

This may have been covered but just in case.

The dock hand stuff is pretty well covered as well.

I'm going to mention something for the marina.

Colored flags at the T heads.

We were in Canada and they would direct to the slip using a colored flag which stuck out. Red right, slip 6 is easy to get.

Waving hands at the T head also helps with exaggerated motions as t which side to enter for the slip. Kind of like the guy who parks the airplane.

Good luck with the new venture. I didn't see the name/location of the marina.

the dock hand should always give clear directions in regards to Slip location and most importantly to listen to the captain directions. the captain knows his boat and how he/she wants the lines done.

Have fenders on both sides with docking lines (bow, midship, and stern hanging from the handrails on both sides) when coming to dock, always bow-in. Over here, the only marina employee, if any, will offer assistance is at the non-self-service fuel dock or possibly a nearby boatyard employee. I don't count on any outside help. Coming along the dock, attaching midship line to dock's cleat and then it is just a matter of attaching/adjusting the rest of the lines.

Base upon some bad experiences of hanging on a fender, I don’t launch fenders until I am inside the pilings.

Back
Top Bottom