Most frequently used or useful tool aboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyWright

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
FlyWright
Vessel Make
1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Here's a new concept...Let's try this as an experiment, whattayasay?

Let's try to create a list of the single must useful or frequently used item or tool on your boat. (People or animals are not acceptable answers...it must be a thing.)

List one item or tool and it's purposes and/or reasons that it's #1.

The other requirement is that we not get sidetracked into side stories about someone else's single choice or why your choice is better. Let's just experiment here and see is we can create a useful, succinct list of useful items aboard. But PLEASE, only one item or tool...no lists or denigration of another's idea.

OK....I'll start...

My most frequently used tool aboard is this Webster spider web picker-upper. Since I cruise in the California Delta, I frequently encounter spiders and spider webs. This tool get used every day aboard and makes the job a simple task. (Re photo...It works in all positions...vertical and horizontal. :D )

Attachments

• 20200502_154639.jpg
    20200502_154639.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 174
A reliable head lamp is something I reach for frequently. Even in a well lit engine room, there are lots and lots of dark corners, and I'm usually using at least all four extremities to not fall over.

Keys to open the pilothouse door and start the engine. Second is hose to wash away dirt and spider webs.

My bar-be-que lighter.

And my Klein tool:

15884616933295038884419516973147.jpg

Ted

A set of stubby Gear Wrenches. They make getting into tight places and getting the job done so easy. Everything from hose clamps to many engine bolts. I almost never use a traditional ratchet set. Ratcheting screw driver might be distant second.
Electronic tools, a multimeter by a long shot.

Most useful = water maker.

Most frequently used = battery powered wine bottle opener.

My last boat had a number of deck drains and a sink that drained via a through-hull.
A slender nylon 'drain-snake' was very handy to keep them flowing freely.

Best tool ever. Not only a screw driver, but its a wrench too for hose clamps!!

Attachments

• IMG_8188.jpg
    IMG_8188.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 105
Camera, both on and off boat/dinghy.

Attachments

• Murray in Kitsaway.jpg
    Murray in Kitsaway.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Greetings,
12V rechargeable drill with screw and nut driver bits. A former boat neighbor was a real tool and I had no use for him at all.

My pocket knife.

My father used to say “if a man don’t carry a knife he outta carry a purse.” Political correctness wasn’t his strongest suit but I sure miss his wisdom.

I 2nd the headlamp or a good adjustable flashlight. One with a base you can set down and adjust the beam to where you want it.

Probably a rigging knife. I have a US Navy issue Camilus and a modern one with a shackle key. Seem to use one every time on board.

That and a good flashlight.

My pocket knife.

My father used to say “if a man don’t carry a knife he outta carry a purse.” Political correctness wasn’t his strongest suit but I sure miss his wisdom.

Can’t argue with that. My Dad gave me my first pocket knife when I was about six years old. If my pants are on, a knife is in my pocket.

List one item or tool and it's purposes and/or reasons that it's #1.
For me, it's definitely my Keurig Coffee maker. I go to my boat 5-6 times a week and there is always something that needs done. A steaming cup of coffee puts me in the right mood to tackle the day's job.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 6.27.22 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 6.27.22 PM.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 97
My flashlight, right now I haven't had the boat out enough. I brought it down from BC and then put it in the yard. Then the crack down hit. I have been spending some good quality time in the ER. My next project is changing the oil and engine zincs. I can't wait to start tackling some of the cosmetics, faux teak deck will really help to drop some age.

Actually a bit of a re-think

My cell phone. The number of times I have to refer to it during a project is just uncountable!

Last edited:
I'm 70 this year. I agree with HopCar, if I have pants on I'm carrying a knife. In fact it is the same "Old Timer" my dad gave me over 50 years ago. Ive got a lot of time in on that knife.

But probably the tool I use the most is the Gold Cross pen that I am never without. NEVER!
I am constantly making notes to myself, compiling shopping lists, or doing "Check Off Lists".

If I had a dime for every time the Admiral asked me "Pete, can I use your pen?" I would probably have enough to buy another pen. I have probably lost a dozen of them over the years, they have no sentimental value to me, more of just a trademark for me.

As an aside, I am a retired nurse. Doctors are notorious for not having a pen in their pocket and also notorious for forgetting to return a borrowed pen. If you ever see a doctor in Wisconsin with a gold Cross pen, tell him I want my pen back.

pete

Actually a bit of a re-think

Mt cell phone. The number of times I have to refer to it during a project is just uncountable!

Definitely this. It's an extra flashlight, a camera to shove in somewhere my head doesn't fit for a better view, plus a research device.

Definitely this. It's an extra flashlight, a camera to shove in somewhere my head doesn't fit for a better view, plus a research device.

Yep, all of those. Plus I consciously have it with me in case I get stuck in the ER or elsewhere. It may be the vehicle I use to call for assistance.

Swiss Army knife.

Cell phone.

They both get used every day on board.

Third is multimeter with ammeter good for milliamps.

1 my glasses 3 small light 3 & 4 tie cordless drill and pocket knife

Nespresso Pixie espresso maker - enables me to be awake and running the boat!
Gerber multi tool - handiest tool around, beats getting out the big tool set at least half the time :)

My Fluke DVM and a Klein 11 in 1 screwdriver with the #2 Phillips bit most used. I've used the Klein 6 years now without losing a tip.:thumb:

In spring / summer / fall - The Swim Step!

We simply LOVE to swim. Have a great big swim ladder I built to plop into water. Knotted thick blue line drops in place to hold onto while walking up ladder onto swim step. Same line is one of the secure straps when ladder is in its up position.

Perfect for getting in and out of our tow behind runabout; which we often run around in visiting locations while boat's at anchor.

And... for tow line hook-ups/adjustments. Not to mention setting rear anchor.

Also as tool shelf for when I work under boat cleaning metal gear and bottom. As well as when replacing anodes. I love to pet our Tolly's bottom!! Mask and fins only; flashlight and tools in hand... Great breathing exercise!! :dance:

:speed boat:

Attachments

• Ladder 100_0421.JPG
    Ladder 100_0421.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Downsize Crestliner 100_0441.JPG
    Downsize Crestliner 100_0441.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Mid-ship cleats are also a favorite.

Back
Top Bottom