Morse - Top Mount Dual Action Controls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Art

Guru
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Morse - Top Mount Dual Action Controls

Howdy TF Boater Folks!

I have purchased an older but brand new (in the box) “Morse” Top Mount Dual Action Control (for twin screw), complete with cable hook-up/clamp items on its below dash extension/frame. Our twin screw 1977 Tolly tri cabin has its original single action controls... Both trany shifts are on port and both throttle on starboard, in the salon station and on the bridge.

Picture of a similar Top Mount Dual Action Control can be seen on this link http://www.boatersland.com/telch5300p.html

Question: Can it be accomplished that the Top Mount Dual Action Control can be made to function on the bridge without interfering with continued use of the original single action trany and engine controls in the salon? And, if so... how much of a bear is it to get this combination of controls to function smoothly?

Any input on this is appreciated. – Thanks, Art ;)

Art, my current set-up is like yours, and reversing my twin-engined boat into her narrow cross-wind berth keeps me as busy as a one-armed paper hanger. Dual-action controls (at least upstairs) would make life so much easier. I also have a Glendinning synchronizer which complicates matters further. I really hope there is a way to do this, but I believe not.

Art, my current set-up is like yours, and reversing my twin-engined boat into her narrow cross-wind berth keeps me as busy as a one-armed paper hanger. Dual-action controls (at least upstairs) would make life so much easier. I also have a Glendinning synchronizer which complicates matters further. I really hope there is a way to do this, but I believe not.

Thanks Mike

What you say is pretty much what I'm hearing from other forums' contributors. Main item I so far learned, due to a 1969 Morse Control usage report that one Captain quoted (I paraphrase) "... Dual action controls are best for boats with only one pilot station. For boats with two stations it is best to use only single action controls as hookup is difficult and cable conflict may occur..."

The same Captain that placed that quote mentioned that it may be the newer (than 1969) Morse Dual Action Controls have alleviated this conflicting cable problem. The Dual Action Controls I have seem fairly new re mfg date... they are in brand new, out of the box condition. I'll eventually do a search on their serial numbers as well as listen closely to all recommendations before attempting installation. He recommended I do further research - which I will continue doing; and, I will report if I find it can be accomplished to use duals up top and singles below

not sure why it wouldn't work if you ran separate cables to engine/ tranny....thought about it briefly and haven't a clue how to go from a single lever to a dual to the engine..

I believe you need a Morse DS plate. It takes the cable from each station (input) and has a single out put, which controls the function (either throttle or transmission).
If I remember correctly, you need 2 for each engine. Many crew boats had this setup.

A call to Morse or teleflex would be able to set you up.

Pretty good memory Sailor. Teleflex/Morse's reply was the diagram below plus "you can do that if all your cables are the 33C style cable with the #10-32 threaded ends. You will also need the DS unit below to make it work."

The diagram shows the "parallel" setup with separate cables running from upper and lower stations to each engine. My boat has the "series" setup with one set of cables running from upper to lower helm and a second set from lower to engines. I have asked TFM how to modify my system and will post the rersponse.

The DS units make selection of upper or lower station necessary. I don't understand why they are required. Perhaps members wiser than I can shed some light.

Click the image to see a larger one.

Attachments

• Teleflex~Morse.gif
    Teleflex~Morse.gif
    60.1 KB · Views: 3,657
Last edited:
Thanks everyone, for all your input. :thumb:

Just returned from 6 night 5 day Memorial Day weekend; cruising and hooking on our Tolly. I'm still researching control options... but must admit... I'm now leaning more toward putting the Morse Dual Control System on the market and staying with my currently OK functioning Morse Single Control systems in upper and lower stations. ;)

As Mike says: If it ain't broke don't fix it! And, I like to live in the world of KISS... Dual Control on upper station with Single Controls on lower station appears to not be simple and might become problematic. :facepalm:

Cheers, Art

Teleflex's response to my cables-in-series question is below in quotes. I honestly don't understand the message. Maybe the only way to find out is to do some experimenting.

"Mike, what I have sent you Is the ONLY way to do a dual function control in a dual; station boat. If you want to do in series you will have to use single function controls which means one lever for throttle and one lever for shift per engine at each station. Twin engine boat will be 4 levers or two control heads per station.
I have nothing on the NB control so you would have to move them to the farthest station away from the engine and then add two of our controls at that station.
****IF YOU PUT A DUAL FUNCTION CONTROL ANYWHERE IN YOUR SYSTEM YOU MUST USE THE DS UNITS****"

Teleflex's response to my cables-in-series question is below in quotes. I honestly don't understand the message. Maybe the only way to find out is to do some experimenting.

"Mike, what I have sent you Is the ONLY way to do a dual function control in a dual; station boat. If you want to do in series you will have to use single function controls which means one lever for throttle and one lever for shift per engine at each station. Twin engine boat will be 4 levers or two control heads per station.
I have nothing on the NB control so you would have to move them to the farthest station away from the engine and then add two of our controls at that station.
****IF YOU PUT A DUAL FUNCTION CONTROL ANYWHERE IN YOUR SYSTEM YOU MUST USE THE DS UNITS****"

Hey Mike

From the above quote you provide, and from other boaters input... it seems the "Dual Function Control" is by far best suited for boats with only one pilot station; not for boats with two pilot stations, such as yours and mine. I will research the numbers on my Morse Dual Station Control to see if I can find any more info. Thanks for your research. :thumb:

Art

The dual conrol system, also known as 'single lever' control has a cam arrangement inside that works like this. When you push the lever forward, the first movement activates a cam that moves the shift cable into the forward position. Further movement forward activates a different cam that moves the throttle cable to open the throttle (speed up the engine). While you are in the throttle cable area of movement, the shift cable cam is held in the forward position. When shifting to reverse, the same thing happens except the shift cable moves to the reverse position, then the throttle cable moves to open the throttle (speed up the engine).

Because the shift cable is activated first and then held in position, a second station of the same type of control cannot be used.

When you have two dual lever controls (upper and lower stations), moving one control lever causes the second station lever to also move. This cannot happen with a single lever control due to the cam action inside the control. The 'dual station adapter' is a shift box that changes which 'single lever control' can activate the cables.

Its either stay with the control that has one lever each for shift and throttle (x2 for dual engines) or install the two single lever control and the change over adapters as shown in the above diagram.

Thanks, Larry! - Your comments are appreciated and understood. - Art

Thanks to all for the input - I'm going to stick with what I've got and learn to live with it. It was a nice dream though. I also like having both sets of engine controls engaged and available all the time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom