Old 06-20-2020, 04:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Raven
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Morse Throttle Levers

I’ve got a problem with my throttle controls. The pictures show the throttle lever positions at the lower helm and the upper helm. The actual throttle positions on the engines are the same for each engine (similar to the lever positions at the lower helm). The upper helm levers retain their relative positions throughout their range of travel. How can I adjust the levers at the upper helm so that they are more in line at the same RPM?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2320.jpg   IMG_2321.jpg  
Gordon GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I have never looked at them but I would imagine that there is some sort of adjustment on the cable end where it attaches to the lever, maybe?
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:48 PM   #3
Guru

City: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon GB View Post
I’ve got a problem with my throttle controls. The pictures show the throttle lever positions at the lower helm and the upper helm. The actual throttle positions on the engines are the same for each engine (similar to the lever positions at the lower helm). The upper helm levers retain their relative positions throughout their range of travel. How can I adjust the levers at the upper helm so that they are more in line at the same RPM?
On my older Morse lever there was 1/2" or so adjustment where the cable housing
ended before the connection to the lever. Mine was a single lever control, though.
KnotYet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 06:39 PM   #4
Guru

City: West Coast
If it's a standard installation, the upper is a slave to the lower and there should be enough adjustment behind either one, or both, to get what you want; it won't take much.
If you can get your head in there, you'll see how it works.
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Punky
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 49 Classic
Exact same issue here.

I have spent way too much time trying to resolve exactly this issue. The upper controls are not aligned when fully throttled down. When control is disconnected from cables levers align when backed down to lowest position. Upper will not lower rpm below 900. I've tried "lengthening" the upper cable with the end adjustment threads holding the pivot as the upper cable is a push to lower throttle. The lower control actually lowers the rpm lower than idle when fully backed down. What the heck am I overlooking?
GBPunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:18 AM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
How is your system setup? Some have the throttle and shift go from the engine to the lower helm and then cables from the lower helm to the upper helm. Other boats have cables from both helms combined in the engine room and then on to the engine.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
How is your system setup? Some have the throttle and shift go from the engine to the lower helm and then cables from the lower helm to the upper helm. Other boats have cables from both helms combined in the engine room and then on to the engine.

Ted
Ted,

Upper cables run to lower controls and lower cable runs to engine so the upper cable action is pushing while lower cable is pulling. Hope that makes sense! These are older Morse controls exactly like the OP's pic.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:14 AM   #8
Guru

When you go to match level movement, the fittings that the cables screw into and mount through the holes in the internal lever, must be exactly the same distance from the shaft the lever pivots on. Simply, you need to measure from the center point of the shaft to the center point of the hole that the cable adapter goes into. All 3 holes for the cable adapters on that one throttle control must be the same distance from the shafts the levers pivot on.

Ted
Old 01-17-2021, 07:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thank you Ted. I have to admit I don't follow. As I see it there are 2 variables at the upper connections. There is the thread the pivot threads on to which determines the length of the cable throw and multiple holes on the lever for the pivot to connect to and cotter pinned in place.I can't picture the points you reference to measure.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:03 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBPunky View Post
Thank you Ted. I have to admit I don't follow. As I see it there are 2 variables at the upper connections. There is the thread the pivot threads on to which determines the length of the cable throw and multiple holes on the lever for the pivot to connect to and cotter pinned in place.I can't picture the points you reference to measure.
The cable end adapter goes in a hole on the lever.
That lever is on a shaft. The shaft is the point that the lever pivots on.
So you need to measure the approximate center of the shaft to the approximate center of the hole that the cable end adapter goes into.

See the below picture, item #3. The large hole in the center is where the shaft goes through. The smaller holes on the lever arms is where the cable end adapters go into. The distance from the center of the big hole to the center of the small hole must be the same for all the cable adapters on that one throttle. Being in the wrong hole will change the lever movement ratios.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 8.32.27 PM.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  26.1 KB

Ted
Old 01-17-2021, 08:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

OK, I'm with you thanks for the pic! In my head the hole I was in (the one furthest from center) would provide the most throw thus reduce the rpm the most but maybe I am simply in the wrong one. I will move it and see what I have.

In it's current configuration, the throttle lever in question hard stops shorter than the screw or housing stop so looks just like the pic of the OP. So something other than the upper and lower control itself is causing the stop. To date I have had my wife lower to idle from lower control when needed. That was until the steering cable parted while docking requiring some quick maneuvering and ultimately a failed Drive Saver. But that is another story...

Always appreciate this group's knowledge.