mooring freash water vs salt water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't believe it's the most expensive, it's right in line with Shilshole, Everett, Fisherman's Terminal. If you look at the homepage for each they are all within a few dollars.

I just finished up signing on to the EBM club. It just seemed to work best but did cost about twice as much as our other options. I think about $20.00 pft plus electric but didn't do the math but thereabouts. It does seem to be a very nice marina and the folks we met were friendly and outgoing. They do have restaurants,pump out service and fuel and they are further north then the Tacoma options so we thought we would save time since so many trips would be taking us north.

Reactions: Art
EBM also has good security, line assistance, fuel dock/store (Manny’s), growler fills, and donuts during the week. I’ve been here a long time and it’s easy enough to get to, so if there is a small premium I don’t mind paying it.

We have been at EBM for the last eight years. Welcome to the neighborhood.
I expect you will really like it there. I agree with Spinner and the others, you get what you pay for.

You’re going to love EBM. Let us know when you arrive and we’ll be sure to greet and show you around. It’s a great marina!

Zinc anodes will not work in fresh water, and once exposed to FW they become dormant even when returning to SW. You can scrub them to remove the coating they develop in FW.

Or, you could use aluminum anodes, they work in fresh, salt and brackish water.

More on the subject here https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/galvanic-isolators-and-zinc-anode-selection/

What you say is true. Including, as you say: "You can scrub them [the zincs] to remove the coating they develop in FW."

In freshwater, as an added point:... if you swim under your boat and at least once every 3 to 4 months to vigorously scrape the surface of zinc with metal scraper and then scrub the zinc anodes' surface with wire brush to remove all of the oxide coating build up... then, the zinc will provide some less noble metal protection to underwater metal parts. I often swim [and, love to swim] under our boat [kept in freshwater for 11 years now - previously it was in saltwater] for cleaning anodes, metal parts and engine cooling raw-water intake grids. My tools of choice are really good flashlight and bronze bristle BBQ scrub brush with its SS metal scraper front edge. I go under with just mask and fins; having been an avid free diver in past years I love to keep my lungs in shape. Each time it takes me several [many] repeat dives under boat to make sure everything is in good order.

Regarding anodes I utilize in freshwater: I have both zinc and magnesium on shafts. Mags disintegrate in a couple years [or less]; neding to get replaced. Kept oxide-free zincs disintegrate much slower before needing replacement.

Note: If the zincs are not scrubbed clean at least every 3 to 4 months [or sooner] their oxide on to surface buildup will render them virtually useless. I recommend having both magnesium and zinc anodes in freshwater.

There will probably be plenty who disagree with me about usefulness of "kept oxide free" zincs in freshwater, as an adjunct to simultaneously also having magnesium anodes attached.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom