Old 02-26-2020, 09:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Fort St James BC
A Monk where angels might fear to tread

If you are courageous, determined, have many skills, or are just plain foolish, here is a must-have project: A very old Monk 40' in outwardly seemingly complete condition near Vancouver BC. He wants a thousand (Canadian = one bag of wampum, two Hudson's Bay point blankets and a pemican cake) but I suspect might drop that by a grand or so.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rch...081837342.html

It could be a beauty. Seller writes that it has "Beautiful Craftsman wood work on this interior. Lots of teak and oak woodwork"
Attached Thumbnails
20200226_082403.jpg  
Bob Noodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:41 AM   #2
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
If the seller gave me $400,000 I'd take it.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:38 PM   #3
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
I'd take it for free if he bought me a HUGE chainsaw, some sticks and some marshmallows.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Looks like the old Monks have no admirers here. I've seen some neat examples of the postwar ones.
Attached Thumbnails
1067px-Savona_-_1942_Ed_Monk _Sr _Design.JPG.jpg  
Old 02-26-2020, 01:56 PM   #5
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Remember a month or six weeks ago some screwball was intent on restoring a big wooden boat ? He was asking all kinds of dumb questions like couldn't he just use green treated wood and stainless screws. He wouldn't give us any information on the boat or himself. We suggested he was looking at a lifelong do it your self project or about a four to six million dollar restoration if he hired it done which is kind of what he was sounding like. I wonder if this old "woodie" is part of that deal?

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Was he Canadian? There's not many of us up here. I can ask my neighbour if he knows him.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:06 PM   #7
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
The owner is advertising it as a shed or guest cottage on land. Don't think it's being marketed as a potential seaworthy craft.
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

He isn't, but I would have said, after browsing through a lot of the 276 pages, that Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat started out with no more promise, and look what he's accomplished.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...alia-7653.html

I could not do it, but I admire those who can.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:22 PM   #9
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
God bless him for trying to give it another life but not likely to happen. All joking aside, what a beautiful craft it must have been in it's day!
Old 02-26-2020, 05:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

By chance there is another one for sale. This is a 1952 in good condition for CAN$44,000, which is about US$33,000. So, infinitely cheaper than the one above, even if it were free:

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/nvn...079455395.html
Attached Thumbnails
20200226_160727.jpg   20200226_161543.jpg  
Old 02-26-2020, 05:34 PM   #11
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I like wood boats and have one, but that boat will probably never float again. It will cost more than it's worth to move it. Depending on how long it's been out of the water and how it's blocked, the hull may be shot now. The decks and cabin probably leak.

The next owner isn't going to be a shipwright. And a good one would take a couple years working alone to get the hull ready for water. And then there's the rot we can't see in the picture.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:14 PM   #12
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
I full on cheer anyone who restores and older boat, my boat is a 1969 vintage. Here is a guy I have been following, lives in Victoria on his monk that he is in the process of restoring. When you watch his videos, over 100 now, you just know this guy is going to get the job done.

I posted the first video in the Monk section here on TF and as I was doing it I thought it would die a slow death, which happened. But the good news is I use it a reference to find the first video.

Here is the intro video that isn't a video, but he introduces himself and shows the boat he purchased - a Monk of course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Here is a short video of an autobiography of the chap doing the restoration, well worth the watch, and not a guy from the cookie cutter, my kind of guy: [You will note this video is number 123]

rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:16 PM   #13
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Noodat View Post
If you are courageous, determined, have many skills, or are just plain foolish, here is a must-have project: A very old Monk 40' in outwardly seemingly complete condition near Vancouver BC. He wants a thousand (Canadian = one bag of wampum, two Hudson's Bay point blankets and a pemican cake) but I suspect might drop that by a grand or so.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rch...081837342.html

It could be a beauty. Seller writes that it has "Beautiful Craftsman wood work on this interior. Lots of teak and oak woodwork"
Needs a match and some gasoline. Not every old boat needs to be saved. Money pit extraordinaire.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Thanks for the great link, rsn48. I shall enjoy watching those. Great to read a post by a non-Philistine!
Old 02-26-2020, 07:34 PM   #15
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
Needs a match and some gasoline. Not every old boat needs to be saved. Money pit extraordinaire.

Or perhaps just a match, depending how dry it is..
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
Or perhaps just a match, depending how dry it is..

I have to admit that is quite clever.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:17 PM   #17

City: Long Beach
Vessel Name: Checkmate
Vessel Model: GB 42
In our Marina there is a trawler that I believe is a late ‘60’s model Grand Banks Alaskan 46. At a distance I admired her high bow and nice styling. They recently moved the vessel closer to me. Wow! At closer look many hull plans are rotten, the paint is really bad, and the superstructure plywood is delaminated. What a shame. She would be a beautiful vessel in Bristol condition but is probably worth more in parts and firewood. It made me appreciate the fact that my GB 42 is fiberglass.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:22 AM   #18
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
This is a cruising forum. For many (most?) cruising is not crossing an ocean. But if that is a criteria or if you're on an ultra budget, sail has many more options than power. But for majority of sailors of middle income means, an economical trawler is as viable for cruising - even serious coastal cruising including the entire Caribbean. The Dashew article cites sails lasting about 2200 hours. If a suit of sails is $10k (not including running and standing rigging), well, it offsets a lot of diesel fuel for a trawler that does 7-8 kts at 2-2.5 gph. It really comes down to personal preference. But no doubt, crossing an ocean in a small, suitably equipped powerboat is much, much more expensive endeavor than in a sailboat. If that's the OPs itinerary and he/she is of average means, the options in a power boat get very limited unless they are willing to accept additional risk of not having backup propulsion or fortified scantlings.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:59 AM   #19
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Noodat View Post
Looks like the old Monks have no admirers here.
No, I'm a very big admirer of the Monk designs. In its day, I'm sure the boat in post #1 was a real beauty. But its day has long since passed. Based on the picture, you'd probably have to spend twice what it's worth just to get it floating again. And then three more times what it is worth to get it into good condition. That's IF (a very big "if") you could move it without having it fall completely apart, right where it is.

Some boats, no matter how good the design, or how beautiful they were in their day, just need to be scrapped. This, sadly, looks like one of those.
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:40 AM   #20
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
In response to "mvweebles". Methinks your post is misdirected. Maybe you belong to several forums but this is a trawler forum, not a cruising forum. Sure there is an overlap but your post should go somewhere else. This thread happens to be about restoring old wooden boats. Generally trawlers but not always.

Who amongst us does not get an inner glow when upon pulling into a harbor or port is met with some viewers jaw dropping a bit or a dock walker stopping by to compliment us on our boat. Some of the compliments I have heard, or given include "I love your boat", "I love trawlers" or even "Yours is the most beautiful boat in the harbor".

Who amongst us would not love to pull into a harbor in the original post Monk after she has had a few million dollars put into her?

It will probably never happen, at least with me at the helm or writing the checks but what's wrong with dreaming about it, or even talking about it. Even adding negative comments is OK, isn't that what a Forum is all about?

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote