Monk Mcqueen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sapwater

Hello

I am new here and learning my way around. Also new to larger wooden boats.
I have a question about Monk McQueen Trawlers. I have been looking for a boat and asked an acquaintance at a noted shipyard about these Monk McQueen boats. Almost before I could say the words Monk McQueen, he said Stay Away From Monk McQueen wooden trawlers. Would not say much more other than that they were not always the quality of boats that some said they were, and that often had structural components that may or not be what they were originally advertised as having. I respect his opinion, but got another opinion and pretty much got the same answer.
I have looked for information online about the quality of these older wooden trawlers but so far have found nothing regarding problems with these boats. Found lots of good reviews about the fibreglass Monk trawlers.
Can anyone help explain this? Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you
S

Welcome aboard. Have you researched owning a wooden boat? It may be very difficult to insure and find a slip for it. Make sure you can get these before buying one. And good luck whatever way you go.

I have not herd of the Seattle marinas turning away boats just because they are wood construction. However, I have heard that some of the smaller yards will no longer lift wood boats.

Just about all the yards and marinas now require insurance in Seattle.

Agree, some yards worry that the wooden boats will break up if they lift it.

Hi all
Thanks for the reply.
The question is not about haul out, it’s about the general construction of Monk McQueen boats being in some cases questionable enough to have boat repair people hesitant to give a green light on buying one of these older trawlers. Starting to realize there may not be a general answer and it is more dependent on the individual boat in question.

I have not heard anything specific about Monk Mcqueen’s. I often hear trades men talk about common design issues with certain makes. Just like you hear with auto mechanics who say Subaru’s are known for leaky head gaskets. This doesn’t necessarily make them a bad car just a problem area to watch out for.

I Wood call Haven Boat Works out of Port Townsend and ask them their opinion. They certainly work on a lot of wood boats.

Thank you

I am starting to think that your answer is probably correct. I’ll give them a call and be more specific in my question.
Thanks for the reply.

Almost before I could say the words Monk McQueen, he said Stay Away From Monk McQueen wooden trawlers.

That comment is given for any woody, it is not exclusive to the Monk.
No doubt about it a wooden boat requires more than polishing the gelcoat. A wooden boat that is still afloat 50 years later spent most of its life under cover. Water from above (not below) is the worst enemy of a wooden boat if left ignored.
Your acquaintance did you a disfavor leaving you with that comment without detailing how his opinion was based.

My personal opinion is that all wood boats are trouble to be avoided. Obviously there are plenty of them out there proving me wrong. However, the bad ones will not only eat your lunch but your dinner too. Meaning you really need to know what is required of maintaining a wooden boat.

Example, putting to much zinc on a glass boat might damage the bottom paint but it won’t sink your boat. To much zinc on a wood boat will eat the wood around a bronze thru hull and this could lead to your boat sinking. Maintenance on a wood boat is not just cosmetic it is a necessity.

McQueen boat works built the prettiest large yachts on the West Coast for many years. The early years, 50s and early 60s, their boats were up to 50' or so, and many are still in excellent condition. At that age, any boat that has survived must have been well built! Res Ipsa Loquitur.

In the early 60s, McQueen began to focus on larger and more luxurious yachts, so the Really Pretty Monk McQueens, from 60 to 80+' emerged and became the status symbol of the wealthy yacht owners from BC to California. Many of these still look like new and give great service to their present owners. Unfortunately, some boats did suffer some hull damage in transit down the coast, if heavy weather was encountered. They were and still are completely suitable for the inside passage and near coast cruising.
Age of the owner (George McQueen) and the switch to fibreglass construction occurred together, and the builder built fewer boats after about 1980, fading away when the economy, tax treatments, exchange rates, etc made luxury yacht building in BC uneconomic.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Keith
It is helpful.
In thinking about this it has occurred to me that the market for these boats may be also affected by generational reasons. The younger set may not be especially interested in vintage wooden boats. The number of grey haired boat buyers like me has and is reducing too.
Im thinking that also Monk McQueen built custom boats for individual buyers and the specifications for these boats are not necessarily cookie cutter.
Im feeling better about my possible venture and these posts have helped. I’ll continue to read up and move forward.
Any other information you have or think of would be appreciated.

Monk McQueens have been a yacht fixture in the PNW for a long time, starting in the '60's. We still see them in the San Juans, on up to Desolation Sound and the Broughtons. The older ones have a distinctive varnished wood panel that varies in size just above the cap rail, like in this image. They are always bristol, or at least look that way from a distance. The word 'iconic' is over-used but these boats deserve it as a class act in this region. But owning one is a different matter.....

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=130100&stc=1&d=1656882995

Attachments

• Monk McQueen.jpg
    Monk McQueen.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Before you commit to purchasing any older wooden boat consider the challenges in finding materials for maintenance and repairs. Skilled labor if you can't do the work yourself. And finding a DIY yard if you will do the work. Older wood boats require a lot of maintenance and repairs. Writing checks or DIY it's a lifestyle you have to love.

Regarding Monk McQueen. I know of two bad examples. This does not imply all are bad, it's only two. One sank in the straits of Juan de Fuca. Apparently broken frames and loose planks. Another was brought into a Seattle yard broken frames and loose planks above the waterline from heavy seas. I personally know the shipwrights who repaired her. They said her scantlings were too light to take heavy weather. They also said the fasteners were small. If I remember correctly #10 screws.

Know what you are getting into. It's a major commitment in time and money caring for an older wooden boat.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Trawler Forum mobile app

Good advice, thank you. I’m taking it slow. Not rushing into anything at this point. Pretty much want a boat to possibly go the up inside passage, islands, fish, dive. Etc. I realize the cost and am definitely weighing whether it is worth it or not. Have been looking for a while now.

Good advice, thank you. I’m taking it slow. Not rushing into anything at this point. Pretty much want a boat to possibly go the up inside passage, islands, fish, dive. Etc. I realize the cost and am definitely weighing whether it is worth it or not. Have been looking for a while now.

Taking it slow sounds like a very good plan. Good luck.

Survey should reveal construction shortcomings Portage Bay points to, especially if you specifically raise your concerns, preferably in writing/text/email with the surveyor beforehand.

Looking at the image in post #13 and remembering the McQueen I saw in the Seattle yard it doesn't seem that style of boat would make a good fishing and diving platform. Perhaps something with a bigger cockpit, lower to the water and a generous swim step would work better.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Trawler Forum mobile app

Make sure that you get a surveyor that has extensive experience with wooden boats, not just any surveyor.

Hi Sapwater

Have you seen the YouTube series about a guy working on his Monk? Nice series.

https://youtube.com/c/TravelsWithGeordie

Ian

I tried, but couldn't find any information on the boat in those videos. Chances are it predates any Monk McQueens. Interiesting stuff though, especially if you know the waters he is travelling.

Lots of lore around about needing to watch for a decent weather window if planning to take a big Mock McQueen out into the Pacific. They were always intended to be used in protected waters. Keep them protected and you will get superb service from them.

Last edited:
I think his Monks are all older and smaller. They also look pretty lightly built.

Attachments

• 0DA16E6A-5842-4592-BE6C-5B05B4BC52AC.jpg
    0DA16E6A-5842-4592-BE6C-5B05B4BC52AC.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 19
I am married to Ed Monk's granddaughter, and we own a Monk Trawler built, in 1971. Her uncle Eddy (Ed Monk Jr.) has told us that his dad preferred to have his designs built at the McQueen shipyard as they kept the price down so more people could enjoy his plans. Jr. also says that the Vic Franck shipyard had much higher standards and those boats weathered the time much better.
From what I can tell, all of Ed Sr.'s family boats were built by McQueen, so he saw value in having the ships built up there. Our boat was built at Vic Franck and is very sturdy, and our surveyor was impressed by how well she has held up over time.
Jeff Monk worked at Vic Franck, and he has also told us the same story about the quality of their boats.
It comes down to what your surveyor says. Is the boat sound? How well did the prior owner(s) take care of it?

Back
Top Bottom