monk 42

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Monk 42

We own a 1987 Monk 42. We're certainly not experts, but would be happy to try and answer some questions.

If you do an Advanced Search for member “fryedaze”, he has a Monk 42.

We own a 1987 Monk 42. We're certainly not experts, but would be happy to try and answer some questions.

Do you the weight of the monk 42? I've tried google, but I'm finding a wide range of weights.

Do you the weight of the monk 42? I've tried google, but I'm finding a wide range of weights.
Apologies for a slight derail, but it's extremely hard to get even broad weight information. 3-weeks ago I helped a friend move his 1981 Roughwater 37 after a bottom job. Brochure put the boat at 17k lbs. TravelLift showed 25k, a 50% uptick for no good reason - not a liveaboard, no generator, nothing excessive. As a matter of fact, he has removed the flybridge. Similar experience with my Willard 36. Who knows whether TravelLift scales are accurate or if the boat came out of the womb a chubby baby.

For the Mink 42, I'd probably look at weight of GB42. I'd guess the knowledge base is more accurate.

Peter

Peter

You will find lots of different weights for most boats. The actual waterline position will vary by as much as 4" from a very light to a very heavy 42'
boat. My own had a new waterline drawn and a new bootstripe painted on within the first year of my ownership. As the no of kids and necessaries we brought along diminished, that line descended again in a few years. A travelift weight gave me 44000# in 44 feet. I don't doubt its accuracy.

My 1987 Monk 42 with twin Cummins 6BT engines and an 8 kw generator has been measured twice on a travel lift as about 30k lbs. As noted before, the accuracy of travel lift weights is very questionable.

My understanding there is calculated displacement weight done by the designer before we add to the stock boat with our gear etc. That is the advertised weight.
The actual weight on a lift is the today weight which is the same in or of water, usually more than original displacement weight. As Keith said a change of the water line after first launch shows added weight.
My GB is said to be 26K lbs at birth, but it clocked in at 34K on the lift. Of course it was pregnant and there are now two engines since the original weight measure.

My understanding there is calculated displacement weight done by the designer before we add to the stock boat with our gear etc. That is the advertised weight.
The actual weight on a lift is the today weight which is the same in or of water, usually more than original displacement weight. As Keith said a change of the water line after first launch shows added weight.
My GB is said to be 26K lbs at birth, but it clocked in at 34K on the lift. Of course it was pregnant and there are now two engines since the original weight measure.
The advertised weight of a DeFever 44 is 44,000 lbs. Our weighs 56,000 lbs on the travel lift with a half load of fuel and water. Add another 4,000 pounds for a full load.

I have a 1971 42 monk built at Vic Franck with twin gas (Ford Seamaster 534cu in) and the state license says 32k, inscribed on the boat wood says 13 tons or 26k.

I would check to see if your state license, Coast Guard documentation, or inscribed net weight are listed somewhere. when I had the boat surveyed the surveyor found the net tonnage in the engine room.

I have a 1971 42 monk built at Vic Franck with twin gas (Ford Seamaster 534cu in) and the state license says 32k, inscribed on the boat wood says 13 tons or 26k.

I would check to see if your state license, Coast Guard documentation, or inscribed net weight are listed somewhere. when I had the boat surveyed the surveyor found the net tonnage in the engine room.

In the documentation arena a ton isn’t a weight measure. It is a volume measure. A net ton is 100 cubic feet of area excluding the machinery spaces. In the olden days a ton of cargo basically took up 100 cubic feet. So if it is documented as 13 (net) tons it should have 1300 cubic feet of cargo carrying space, everything but the engine room mostly.

In the documentation arena a ton isn’t a weight measure. It is a volume measure. A net ton is 100 cubic feet of area excluding the machinery spaces. In the olden days a ton of cargo basically took up 100 cubic feet. So if it is documented as 13 (net) tons it should have 1300 cubic feet of cargo carrying space, everything but the engine room mostly.

Dave, you have described tonnage, not ton, though the words are often interchanged.

Is tonnage the same as tons?
is that ton is a unit of weight (mass) equal to 2240 pounds (a long ton) or 2000 pounds (a short ton) or 1000 kilograms (a metric ton) or ton can be fashion, the current style, the vogue or ton can be the common tunny, or house mackerel while tonnage is the number of tons of water that a floating ship displaces.
So the weight of the boat may be more than the weight of the displaced water.

I was responding to the post where the surveyor found net tons marked in the engine room. Net tons is for documentation purposes and is not a weight measurement but rather a volume measurement. If it were an a actual weight measurement then it wouldn’t have been net tons but rather tons. There isn’t really a net ton weight but rather if it is a weight measurement it would be tons.

when I had the boat surveyed the surveyor found the net tonnage in the engine room.

Last edited:
:socool:
Dave, you have described tonnage, not ton, though the words are often interchanged.

So the weight of the boat may be more than the weight of the displaced water.

My travellift weight is 44,000#
My Net Tonnage, inscribed into the main beam for Registration purposes, is 19.8.
That means my boat could be requisitioned by the Queen in times of war and she would rely on it to carry 19.8 tons of war materials or personnel.

:socool:

My travellift weight is 44,000#
My Net Tonnage, inscribed into the main beam for Registration purposes, is 19.8.
That means my boat could be requisitioned by the Queen in times of war and she would rely on it to carry 19.8 tons of war materials or personnel.

:lol::thumb:

Monk

hello,

Any monk 42 owners here? I need some detailed info about the them.
Hi I have owned a Monk 36 as well as a Monk 42. I am lead to believe that the vessels we manufactured in Kowchung Taiwan. Hand laid up with most of the bolt ons of NA origin.
Strong underpinnings, excellent sea keeping qualities, very good performance. Spacious and bright, easy to live with. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have. Roy

I thought the Monk were built on west coast, but that may be because of the Monk/McQueen local connection and that his offices are in WA.
Ed Monk is well known for his yacht designs, and his 36-foot trawler helped popularize the genre. The boats were originally built in Taiwan, but production shifted to Nova Scotia in 1992. More than 250 Monk 36s were built over a 25-year production run that ended in 2007

Back
Top Bottom