mold on dingy cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magna 6882

Guru
Vessel Name
Intrepid
Vessel Make
North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
Mt wife noticed black mold forming on the outside of the dingy cover. I am thinking bleach might cause a problem with the color. Its grey cloth of some sort. Have you guys ran into this and what is the best course of action?
Thanks

Bleach is very har on the material and death on the stitching. Find a safe alternative.

I have used Mildew Stain Remover on several fabrics with good success. Test it in an inconspicuous place first.

Bleach is very har on the material and death on the stitching. Find a safe alternative.
Bleach is actually recommended for use on Sunbrella if you have difficult stains. Important to use the recommended dosage and soaking is helpful. I used the bathtub at home. Wasn't a problem with the proper Poly UV thread and sure it wouldn't be with newer Tenera or equal.
Retreating for water repelency helps beading & run off vs surface staying wet.
I havecseen recommendations to spray w vinegar and let dry after cleaning / retreating. Repeat periodically. No experience w vinegar as I didnt have recurring mold.
Cleaning is important as surface dirt encourages mold. If inside the cover ventilation should be added / encouraged to dry it up.

Bleach is actually recommended for use on Sunbrella if you have difficult stains. Important to use the recommended dosage and soaking is helpful. I used the bathtub at home. Wasn't a problem with the proper Poly UV thread and sure it wouldn't be with newer Tenera or equal.
Retreating for water repelency helps beading & run off vs surface staying wet.
I havecseen recommendations to spray w vinegar and let dry after cleaning / retreating. Repeat periodically. No experience w vinegar as I didnt have recurring mold.
Cleaning is important as surface dirt encourages mold. If inside the cover ventilation should be added / encouraged to dry it up.

I second this. Perhaps you can take the cover to a canvas shop and ask them what sort of fabric it is. The odds are very good it is Sunbrella or a similar fabric. An important step is that after you clean it, treat it with something like 303 fabric protectant, which is what Sunbrella has historically recommended. For spot cleaning, I got good results using one of the spray on household cleaners that were a diluted bleach solution, like Clorox markets. We had a whole bunch of Sunbrella on our old Hatteras.

Our marina in Stuart, FL is a paradise for mold/green/black stuff. In addition to the obvious Florida heat and humidity it is way up the South Fork of the St. Lucie River and has TONS of bamboo, palms, mango trees, etc growing all around the dock. Boats in the canal start turning green in 2 to 3 weeks if not constantly kept clean.

As such, I battle mold all the time, including on the dinghy cover, so I am watching this thread with interest and I am open to all ideas.

As for me, I haven't found anything so far that works as well as a bleach solution. I have tried commercial mold and mildew removers and had them do nothing at all. I've tried a vinegar solution, again with zero success, but recently read to try it at full strength, which I may do.

I've also tried the mold preventative sprays on the dinghy and cover with not much success. I agree that keeping them clean helps a lot.

We get a lot of mold on our light gray stamoid bimini. I wash the top of the bimini about once every month in the summer and two months in the winter (it's a PIA to do) in that much time it is close to black with mold and plant matter. I use a mixture of boat soap, water an bleach, about 1 cup of bleach in 3 gallons of water. Let it soak for 30 minutes to an hour, then wash off. I do it as the first part of my boat washing routine as the run off on to the rest of the boat is nasty.

The underside of the bimini also gets mold on it quite quickly, I hit it with a milder solution every time I wash the boat (once a week) then hose off and squeegee. That works pretty well.

I do the same process for our dinghy cover, I'm not sure what it is made of, it seems like sort of a cross between sunbrella and stamoid. It's an "over the counter" cover, not real expensive. I get two to three years out of them before they fall apart, then replace them. I'm sure the bleach shortens their lifespan, but I haven't found an alternative. I'm personally not a fan of sunbrella, though I'm sure it would last longer. I've priced having a custom cover made out of Stamoid, but I can buy 6 pre-made covers for the cost of a custom one, so I just treat them as sort of disposable.

I would LOVE to hear if someone has had success keeping the mold off of the dinghy tubes under the cover. I use a vent and the cover is open at the transom so it gets some air, but it is still a problem.

This past weekend, I pulled a canvas BBQ cover out of mothballs only to discover it had a bunch of mold and other discoloration. Being afraid to use bleach, I soaked it overnight in a bucket with sodium percarbonate. Worked wonders, but not quite perfect.

Yes, Sunbrella does recommend bleach. I was at a boat show and was talking to a VP of sales from Sunbrella and he had a sample of Sunbrella in a bottle of bleach. He said it had been in the bleach for years without any discoloration.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom