Modifying the Jones Act Cruise Ships Exempt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Remind me to move to Alaska and vote for someone else. Votes for sale, Votes for sale. Get your votes here.

From the Professional Mariner: In the same vein, a trade group supporting US flagged offshore service companies has launched the first ever Jones Act enforcement vessel, a 175 footer named the "Jones Act Enforcer." The crew has been trained identify and document Jones Act violations, using photo, video equipment and aerial surveillance gear.

Completely unnecessary. Marine Traffic does that and more and provides video proof to provide evidence.

Succinctly said. I agree.

Too much dna in one place.

That would also apply to NFL football games, NBA basketball , MLB games , concerts, church gatherings , etc. etc.

15 years go wife & celebrating an anniversary ,
Flying too Hawaii from Fl ,
2 days sightseeing Hawaii ,
then bording Royal Carribean ship for a week
great trip , cruising Hawaiian islands ,
Saw a volcano erupting
Knowing ahead of time , ship was changing ports heading back too San Diego ,
12 days aboard ship
crusing back too San Diego
Great trip - No complaints

Evening prior too disembarking a manditory captains meeting with guests what too expect RE : JONES ACT - We never knew about what it was but the following day we found out -
I recall captain saying its an old law protecting maritime industry
Write your congressman ,
Knowing we must disembark Ensenada Mexico , At the time we did not care

Following morning ship docks Mexico ,
THOUSANDS of guests had too get off ship , was orginized
boarded old non a/c busses , many school busses
Luggage stayed aboard ship but all passangers had too get off
Heading along coastline too the border ,
Then the fun began ,
Had too wait too go thru customs ,
Custom agents all knew we were passangers , BEST QUESTION WHAT DID YOU BUY IN MEXICO , NOTHING WERE PASSANGERS ABOARD SHIP
Long lines eventually we get thru then had too board buses again ,
Buses were heading too San Diego port
We were driving along coastline , WHAT DO I SEE ,
OUR SHIP HEADING SAME DIRECTION AS US ,
EMPTY WHILE WE WERE ON THESE Buses
INSANITY - Our lugguge was waiting for guests
Many years ago , dont know if laws have changed ,

Hurtigruten

People who love cruises also seem to enjoy extolling the joy of cruises to everyone they meet especially if they know you spend time on boats. My mother in law is determined to convince us that a cruise would be the perfect vacation and it could not appeal any less to me. Following a set itinerary that is completely out of my control, with throngs of people trying to do the same thing at the same time is the exact opposite about everything I enjoy running my own boat. I am glad for the people that enjoy them but it is the antithesis of small boat cruising as far as I can tell.

The only "cruise" I've ever taken was out of Oslo on the Hurtigruten which is a dynamite trip and one I highly recommend. Takes you all the way to Kirkenes a stones throw from Murmansk and you hit every port along the way to deliver mail, fresh produce and anything else that will fit in the hold. Great adventure and not your normal cruise.

There you have it. 67,466 ships per million people in the USA or 22,000,000 ships in the USA! Liars figure but figures don't lie (except when manipulated).

Think you might want to read that chart again.

....RE : JONES ACT .....
INSANITY - ...... ,

The Jones act prevents non US ships from going between US ports, so you couldn't go from Hawii to San Diego, but once your shipped stopped in Mexico you could have all sailed on to San Diego. I suspect there were other factors in play here......

Jones Act is archaic protectionism. I own two cruising vessels and still enjoy the cruise ship experience. Different experiences.

Greetings,
Mr. TAD. Long time no post. Good to see you back. How goes the ship work? Update, please.

Hey! Thanks! I don't want to hijack the thread :). I will create an update this weekend.

Greetings,
Mr. TAD. I look forward to it. Thanks. you should be almost done by now huh?

iu

Imo, there's too much money involved and the large cruise ship industry has gone on too long to make sensible changes.

Alaska wants and needs that tourist money they have become dependent on. The tourist industry has developed a price point that probably precludes much smaller USA built and staffed vessels.

I don't see the situation improving, probably getting worse for the towns in Alaska that cruise ships exploit.

Ted

...I don't see the situation improving, probably getting worse for the towns in Alaska that cruise ships exploit.

Ted

Well, one person's exploitation is another person's revenue or financial survival. Of course it's been a love/hate relationship for years for those cruise towns. Hits the news all the time, the debates the cruise towns have with themselves and with the cruise lines about passenger fees. All they have to do is crank up the mooring and service and per-passenger fees to the point where the cruise lines go elsewhere -- but the towns won't, or typically don't. Some have inched it up but ultimately those communities want the money. Like this for example:

https://www.ktoo.org/2021/02/09/cru...ush-back-against-ketchikan-head-tax-proposal/

Cruise ships should not only not be exempt, they should be held to much more rigid standards. They are terrible. I personally don't understand how a person can say "I love the sea" and then participate in its destruction.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamese...h-and-environmental-problems/?sh=5823323b37db

I usually like Forbes, but thought this article was incredibly biased, and more of a hit piece on the cruise industry. I say this as a Climate Change alarmist....I am not a climate change denier by any means, but I don't think we can save the planet with bad journalism.

This article, like a lot of shallow journalism today, fails to ask the question: "Compared to what?" Sure, 2,000 people going on a cruise creates a lot of pollution, but compared to what ? Compared to tending their organic garden at home ? Agreed. But what if all 2000 of them took 4 hour car drives to a resort ? or if they all took flights to the Carribean ? Perhaps the tourism industry in general is bad for the environment, but is the Cruise Industry better or worse than the rest of it ? This article didn't expand on that at all.

I think the cruise ship industry could be held to a higher pollution standard and suspect that current standards aren't policed as effectively as they could be. Pre-Covid they certainly could have afforded it. Now they may not be able to and in fact I am sure they are hurting, but I hope the US Gov't doesn't offer them any kind of assistance. They have chosen to flag their vessels outside the US and have profitted handsomely for that decision. You don't get to thumb your nose at the US Gov't and then come begging with your hat in your hand. The world will keep spinning if Carnival and Princess go under. There will still be ships and willing cruisers so that economic vaccuum will get filled by someone else.

Last edited:
I usually like Forbes, but thought this article was incredibly biased, and more of a hit piece on the cruise industry. I say this as a Climate Change alarmist....I am not a climate change denier by any means, but I don't think we can save the planet with bad journalism.

This article, like a lot of shallow journalism today, fails to ask the question: "Compared to what?" Sure, 2,000 people going on a cruise creates a lot of pollution, but compared to what ? Compared to tending their organic garden at home ? Agreed. But what if all 2000 of them took 4 hour car drives to a resort ? or if they all took flights to the Carribean ? Perhaps the tourism industry in general is bad for the environment, but is the Cruise Industry better or worse than the rest of it ? This article didn't expand on that at all.

I think the cruise ship industry could be held to a higher pollution standard and suspect that current standards aren't policed as effectively as they could be. Pre-Covid they certainly could have afforded it. Now they may not be able to and in fact I am sure they are hurting, but I hope the US Gov't doesn't offer them any kind of assistance. They have chosen to flag their vessels outside the US and have profitted handsomely for that decision. You don't get to thumb your nose at the US Gov't and then come begging with your hat in your hand. The world will keep spinning if Carnival and Princess go under. There will still be ships and willing cruisers so that economic vaccuum will get filled by someone else.

Yep, clearly a poor piece of writing.... sounds like the guy has some sort of an agenda he's pushing. I'm not buying.

Personally, I hope the cruise industry survives and does well. I've done my one cruise and you couldn't pay me to do another. I did have a good time, but because of who I was with, not the cruise line. Way too many people, too much waiting brutal drink prices (yes, I brought my own, but that could be an issue) and overprices shore trips.

As for the ports they come into.... just hope they don't do it where I live. But visiting them, just go when the cruise is out and you have the whole town to yourself.

Globalization seems a great idea till something goes wrong.

Keeping the ability to build and man ships in a country looks great , as insurance.

Reads like an ad for a PI law firm....which happened to write the article.
It doesn't make the points in the article any less valid. It actually makes the points more valid coming from such a knowledgable source.

I'll address one part of the article I have personal experience with. The Jones Act with respect to seaman's injuries. It's no magic bullet guaranteeing the mariner good compensation. But when I sat on one side of the table with my representation. And on the other side my employer was represented by my two immediate shore side supervisors, my employer's attorney and two persons from my employer's human resources department telling me why I couldn't get any compensation beyond $50 / day I needed the protection of the Jones Act. I wasn't asking for a free ride. I wasn't asking for a huge settlement. I wanted the cost of the surgery and post op care covered. The surgeon said I'd likely need surgery again in 10 - 20 years. I wanted assurance that would be covered as well. I wanted my base wages, no overtime, covered until I could return to work. Things any reasonable employer should do without being forced to.

Mariner's NEED the Jones Act.

Back
Top Bottom