Modern Trawler History - interview with PMMs Bill Parlatore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Jeff Merrill, ex Nordhavn Project Manager and current broker, has a YouTube channel with many information videos. This is a 38-min interview with Bill Parletore of Passagemaker Magazine fame. Good discussion on the Trawler market segment.

https://youtu.be/ChoaEvP1ju4

The interview is a bit tedious at times but worth watching for anyone buying their first trawler. Bill notes that the great, great majority of trawler wannabes do not need the blue water capabilities of boats like a Nordhavn.

I do take exception to the Bill's seeming embrace of technical "gimmicks" like Zeus drives and electric battery drives. The latter is a real gimmick and until batteries many ten times the power density of current lithium batteries at 1/4 of the cost and with high power charging stations available at the docks, it isn't going to happen for any long range cruising. For Zeus drives think about what happens to them in a casual grounding. The list goes on!!

It did note how simple Bebe's Passagemaker is relative to many current trawlers.

David

Agree, Jeff’s channel is very good and worth subscribing to. Sharp guy, and he keeps the topics interesting with his quick wit.

I do take exception to the Bill's seeming embrace of technical "gimmicks" like Zeus drives and electric battery drives.

It did note how simple Bebe's Passagemaker is relative to many current trawlers.

I agree. I have a good friend with a 2016 Horizon PC52. In the last year, his Yacht Controller has started acting-up. For some reason, Florida's climate causes device batteries (D, C, AA, etc.) to swell-up and destroy the device they're in. His replacement remote control was something well north of $1000, and he really lost confidence in having it when needed.

I'm in the middle of a refit. Granted, my boat is purposefully small and I'm still a sailor at heart, but a huge directive is simplicity. Despite my work in tech, I am banishing IP Address-able items on my boat to the extent possible.

Yes, how far we've drifted from extolling the virtues of Beebe's philosophy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom