Old 09-25-2020, 01:08 AM   #1

City: Elliot Bay
Vessel Name: Intrepid
Vessel Model: North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
mode of transportation while visiting harbors

We are used to having i car with the rv for re-supply,parts ect. I see scooters and bikes but are you using things i may not be aware of. We looked at a couple electric bikes today. They had a smaller folding bike that could prove space saving but the larger model seemed more stable for old people.I have a 1000lb hydraulic davit to get them topside.
Thanks
Rod

magna 6882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:20 AM   #2
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Shanks' mare.

Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:25 AM   #3
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
We don’t carry anything like a bike. My wife isn’t the most coordinated and I would not let her on a bike particularly as we get older. She fell about 5 years ago and it took almost the last 5 years and 5 different surgeries to get her fixed. No way I let her on a bike. We use Uber and taxies when marinas don’t have a courtesy car. Also we have a folding aluminum dock cart with bicycle tires that pulls easily and carries a big load in case we have to walk.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:03 AM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Need to be careful with Uber. If they pick you up at the marina and take you to a less populated area, they may not provide service to that area to get you back. Had that happen once in upstate NY. Now I check the availability of the return trip before arranging the departure trip.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:09 AM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I would like to find a full size electric scooter that could be off loaded with my dinghy crane. The compact electric ones seem too small with too short a range.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:43 AM   #6
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Uber and Lyft seem like a good way to get Covid, especially as it cools off and car windows get closed. Prior to the arrival of COVID19 I caught a bad case of bronchitis from a coughing Lyft driver that lasted for months. No way would I risk it now with a potentially fatal disease out there.

We use Enterprise car rental now: they drop off the car at the marina and pick it up afterwards. We just wipe it down inside with bleach and alcohol as soon as we get the keys. At $33 a day it is cheaper than Uber too if you go more than one place a day: in Marathon it was $15 one way from the marina to Home Depot for a $2 part!

I also keep a 125cc Chinese scooter up on the boat deck for shopping, sightseeing and running errands. Even a 49cc scooter is going to be more useful than any electric scooter or ebike. And if you shop Craigslist it will be much cheaper too. I have had several ebikes before moving aboard and I was not impressed with their corrosion resistance and that was in a dry climate. We have had the scooter for almost two years now and while it has some surface rust it still starts right up.

BTW, the scooter weighs 240lbs, well within the capacity of most davits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1801D33B-80D4-42A0-9589-D62FEB5AA235.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	108261   Click image for larger version

Name:	D161D504-654E-4AF6-8222-E946527331C4.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	108262  
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:15 AM   #7
Guru

City: PNW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Uber and Lyft seem like a good way to get Covid, especially as it cools off and car windows get closed. Prior to the arrival of COVID19 I caught a bad case of bronchitis from a coughing Lyft driver that lasted for months.
This is about where I am, too. I've caught some doozies of colds etc. after flying and can't imagine that or a Lyft now. Granted, I'm on the careful side of the spectrum.

Quote:
We use Enterprise car rental now: they drop off the car at the marina and pick it up afterwards. We just wipe it down inside with bleach and alcohol as soon as we get the keys.
Great tip. If you have the car for (I'd imagine) 24 hours you can wipe 'er down, open the windows, and let it sit for a bit. Then it's "yours and yours only" for the duration of the rental.

I've been giving this a lot of thought since I'm trawler shopping and it's a different world than when I was sailing back in the day (the only other time I lived without a car for an extended period). The Enterprise rental sounds like a great solution, and I could probably even do my now-favored curbside pickup for groceries.

My boat will not be large enough for scooters (darnit). But I may be able to bring my old Dahon pedal bike along. That'd be more for fun excursions than "big" errands though.
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:19 AM   #8
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
This is about where I am, too. I've caught some doozies of colds etc. after flying and can't imagine that or a Lyft now. Granted, I'm on the careful side of the spectrum.

Great tip. If you have the car for (I'd imagine) 24 hours you can wipe 'er down, open the windows, and let it sit for a bit. Then it's "yours and yours only" for the duration of the rental.

I've been giving this a lot of thought since I'm trawler shopping and it's a different world than when I was sailing back in the day (the only other time I lived without a car for an extended period). The Enterprise rental sounds like a great solution, and I could probably even do my now-favored curbside pickup for groceries.

My boat will not be large enough for scooters (darnit). But I may be able to bring my old Dahon pedal bike along. That'd be more for fun excursions than "big" errands though.
I summer we wipe it down, park in the sun and close it up. The same extreme heat helps kill the virus: the dashboard and steering wheel are usually black and can get over 150* in direct sun after a couple of hours.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:01 AM   #9
Guru

City: PNW
Quote:
The same extreme heat helps kill the virus: the dashboard and steering wheel are usually black and can get over 150* in direct sun after a couple of hours.
Might as well use it to your advantage! "Why yes, we DO want the black interior for our August afternoon rental"

I jest, but in reality I was actually reconsidering my plans to get a trawler and do some longer term coastal cruising. All of a sudden with COVID there was a new and unwelcome dimension added to not having my own car at my disposal. Sure, distancing would be easier (one of the things l like about "my own island" even in pre-COVID times), but suddenly errands ashore, felt like I'd be "exposed" without my own car, which I have when shore-based. (Of course transportation is something to work out even in "normal" times, but usual inconvenience suddenly felt more serious.)

So thanks again. Good to have options.
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Portland
Vessel Name: Hot Tuna
Vessel Model: 2901 Striper
I’m considering a pair of Rad Mini foldable e-bikes for getting around on land. Friends have the full size Rad models and rave about them. (Note we are retired and act like sheep. One person gets something they like and we all have to have it. Haha).

Range is claimed to be 25m on throttle only and 45m if you peddle assist. Add some saddle bags and we’re set for most dockside adventures shy of a full provisioning.

Pete
Pdxstriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:31 AM   #11

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
Dahon Mariner folding bike with a rack/bags, less than 30#, less than
$200 on CL.

20" wheels, so its not a monkey-bike. Sleeps in a bike bag when not in use. And I don't get any guff for running a moto on a pier (not that that would stop me).

But "racing" light scooters from pal's place on San Juan Island over the hill to Rosario was an absolute hoot! No davits/crane on my boat for that sort of equipment.
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:56 AM   #12
Guru

City: Palmetto
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
We have a couple of Rad Mini Step-Thru electric, folding bikes. Larger and heavier than a Dahon but far greater range and an absolute blast to ride. We've done 35 mile round trip trips with them without killing the battery.
https://USCGcaptain.johneasley.com
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:17 PM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
There are two answers to this, the THEN and NOW.

Then is before Covid 19 and we used bus, taxi, uber, car rentals and limousines. All were used as appropriate for our group and needs. If it was just the two of us we would have electric bikes and we've ridden some and loved them. IF we're going to be somewhere more than a day or so, then we rent a vehicle. Too many of the marinas and ports are in areas without taxi's and without Uber or Lyft. Some are borderline and we've run into the problem of getting an Uber to actually come and then even more when wanting to return to the boat. Not just a NY problem, although the NY problem pointed out earlier is a real problem as taxi's are required to take you to any area and Uber and Lyft are not.

Now. Car Rental would be my choice and I'd do my own thorough disinfecting on top of theirs. I'd just rather go through the sterilizing one time than dealing with 6 or so different Uber drivers. Uber claims to be requiring drivers and riders to wear masks but I don't know how well they're adhering. With masks and sitting in back seat and opening the windows partially or all the way it should be pretty safe. I'm just not convinced Uber drivers would all police it well. Even where selfies are required, nothing stopping people from taking it and then removing the mask. If we were cruising to other locations today, we absolutely would have electric bikes.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:46 PM   #14
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
We use folding electric bikes. 20" wheels. Range is about 20km...but one can still pedal to extend the range or, um, get some exercise.
2010 Greenline 33' Hull #54
Home port: Malmö, SWEDEN
Currently in: Gruissan, FRANCE
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:33 PM   #15
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I keep a road bike onboard for exercising. I often go for 30 mile rides. Here in the PNW there are only a Handful of locations that extend beyond walking distances. Take the San Juan Islands. Except for an Alpaca Farm, everything you might want is with in walking distance of a dingy dock.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:45 PM   #16
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
I carry a Citizen Miami folding bike with 20" wheels and 6 speeds on Sandpiper. Weighs 32 pounds.

Most marinas in the PNW are walking distance to groceries and other necessities. Once in a while, I may have to travel a distance for parts and the folding bike comes in handy.

Peddling a bike is a good excercise after sitting in the boat for days at an anchorage.
syjos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:22 PM   #17
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Everywhere is walking distance if you have time. - Steven Wright.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:02 PM   #18

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Stella
Vessel Model: Seaton 56
Feet and public transportation.
DCDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:03 PM   #19
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: I read where people say everything is within walking distance but I like to explore everythng and everywhere and that takes you beyond walking distance.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:16 AM   #20
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Publix delivers .....
I suspect other grocery store deliver too.
CVS will deliver your Rx

Ah, when I say "deliver", I mean to the dock or marina office or you can meet them in the parking. I dont mean they will ferry the stuff out to your boat. LOL