MOB - Safety

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Art

Guru
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
WOW! Very Cool!!

Well, slap my ass and call me Judy!

Yeah, pretty cool. The conservative in me sees all kinds of potential problems. For safety gear, somethings the simpler the better. A Lifesling permanently mounted on the rail (or in my case the swim step) can't have drained batteries or a remote to drop in the water etc...

Still, it is a good idea and I'm glad that folks are still out there innovating.

Yeah, pretty cool. The conservative in me sees all kinds of potential problems. For safety gear, somethings the simpler the better. A Lifesling permanently mounted on the rail (or in my case the swim step) can't have drained batteries or a remote to drop in the water etc...

Still, it is a good idea and I'm glad that folks are still out there innovating.

Heck - why not just have powerful enough drone with arm slings and fly the MOB back aboard. - Just kidden, sort of... :ermm:

Not too far fetched Art,:thumb: Enjoyed the video. the drone idea. There are those on the forum, one in particular, a 34 foot Nordic Tug, who fly a drone quite often. One could see a active drone mentality aboard with a plan of flying a line to a person overboard. I am not drone orientated and the preparation may be to burdensome to be effective, yet a tool is a tool.

Over time I have as many have, added a swim step ladder, a hanging down line with knots, and have adapted my block and tackle for the inflatable in such a manner to assist in lifting a person. I am not sure any of my crew is capable of yarding a soul out of the water with that system more it is to assist the party in the water hopefully, to make it up and out.
For sure, in my aging years, the wearing of the float coat while anywhere other than the cockpit is now a standard rule.
I designed a folding ladder for the forward bunk area escape hatch to facilitate access to the anchor via a inside route rather than walking the narrow side decks. This process is mandatory when single handing as a promise to the wife. If somebody is with me a outside route is okay.
In any case, as I approach an anchorage in slow speed, I drop the ladder, unfurl the hanging rope prior to either approach to the anchoring process.
Funny, not too many years ago I'd scurry about without a thought of personal safety.:blush:

Al-Ketchikan

I just thiking how many manatees I could harass with that. :rolleyes::hide:

Ted

An improvement would for the thing to be able to home in on someone who falls overboard and self deploy based on that falling in.

Most MOBs are lost because they are lost sight of or not known for a longvtime, hours even.

They do have beacons that will notify and guide the mothership, so maybe this improvement would be overkill.

Last edited:
Very cool!!!! I can see the Admiral driving almost to me, then as I reach for it she backs it up a few feet.....

I can see zooming that thing at a swimmer and because of distance and low position, bouncing that thing off the victim's head... still a cool device.

Tell us what you really think, Judy?

Tell us what you really think, Judy?

Well, since you asked.

I have every confidence of my wife being able to bring Badger around to pick me up because she's at the helm when I grab crab traps, sometimes close to shore in tight & windy circumstances. That could take time though...something which you might not have in our cold waters.

Probably won't get one, but pretty high on the whiz-bang-cool factor.

Heck - why not just have powerful enough drone with arm slings and fly the MOB back aboard. - Just kidden, sort of... :ermm:

Wifey B: I was thinking of that, just like a mini helicopter to the rescue. We've actually practiced rescues using our crane. :) Problem is that no amount of practicing is the real thing and crane or drone would only work after you stabilize the MOB. Have them safely floating but just can't get them aboard for some reason. psneeld has the experience, but to me I hope never to find out if I'm good at it and the first time is frightening, would just have to trust training and judgment. I really don't want to ever find out.

Last edited:
An improvement would for the thing to be able to home in on someone who falls overboard and self deploy based on that falling in.

Most MOBs are lost because they are lost sight of or not known for a longvtime, hours even.

They do have beacons that will notify and guide the mothership, so maybe this improvement would be overkill.

Great idea - link this device to the MOB systems where each crew member wears the wrist-watch-device, and then have the this device auto deploy and home in on the "reluctant swimmer".

Great idea - link this device to the MOB systems where each crew member wears the wrist-watch-device, and then have the this device auto deploy and home in on the "reluctant swimmer".

Welcome aboard :thumb:

Check the second link a couple posts above...it may be in the works.

Looking at some photos it seems that once turned upside down in the water that the jet louvers would be no longer be able to propel the powered life-horseshoe through water. Until it's again turned right side up??? :popcorn:

Judging from the way they chuck it in the water on the video, I think it works no matter which way it falls. Looks like the flat screened bits are the intakes and it "jets" out the very ends of the device, so it would be a simple mater to only suck water into the lower intakes.

Scenario 1…unbeknownst to you, while exploring ashore, the kids joyride that thing, suck up a plastic bag and quietly put it back where they found it.

Scenario 2…knowing the kids can’t leave anything alone, you lock it up and MOB has the key.

I’ll stick with old skool, thank you muchly.

Attachments

• Harpoon.jpg
    Harpoon.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 49
Hawg, that would probably work quite well and certainly, in my case, harpooning a whale is apropos...

I like it a lot, but I think it also needs a rope back to the boat. Perhaps some 3/16 Dyneema.

Ken

Art me Irish Bro.

Yeah it looks pretty cool and all, however. Well never mind!!!:facepalm:

However the video was, well never mind!!!:facepalm:

Any ways. Thanks for the post and the video Mate:thumb:

Cheers

H.

Last edited:
Yeah, pretty cool. The conservative in me sees all kinds of potential problems. For safety gear, somethings the simpler the better.

Showed this to my wife and she said: "I can see sooooo many thing wrong with this."

Let's hope:

• The batteries aren't dead in the unit.
  • The batteries aren't dead in the remote.
  • The person driving the device knows what they're doing. (Anyone with RC experience will know it don't come easy.)
  • The person driving the device can maintain situational awareness on the device and the MOB while both are alternately exposed and hidden in the waves.
  • The now-unattended boat does nothing silly, like broach, while the rescuer is focused on driving this device.
Personally I'd rather have an MOB pole and a Lifesling.

That said, I could see it being useful deployed from a USCG helo where you don't want to deploy a swimmer.

Now when the technology becomes truly autonomous--throw it in the water and it goes to the MOB, and either holds position or returns--then it gets interesting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom