Mmsi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Failure to pay renewal fee?
I did not think that there was a renewal fee for an MMSI number. I understand that you have to renew a Ships Radio Station license periodically, and that you might have your MMSI issued along with that license. But for many of us a Ships Radio Station is not a requirement, and an MMSI can be issued without a Ships Radio Station. That, specifically, is what BoatUS does. I searched BoatUS's site and found nothing about renewing an MMSI (though you can request that one be cancelled).

So I'm still confused (nothing new!). Do MMSI numbers expire and/or require periodic renewal? I did not think that they did, but I have been wrong before (at least once or twice, I think :)).

Thanks for the thread guys. I just got my HX870 in the mail ($200 from gpsstore.com) and will program the same MMSI that I have for the VHF on Kinship.

no expiration of MMSI.... can even request same number as previous owner to new owner if previous postets on here were correct.

Has anyone heard of a new VHF radio not working until an MMSI number is entered?

Has anyone heard of a new VHF radio not working until an MMSI number is entered?

I would be very surprised if that were true as an MMSI is not a requirement for the majority of recreational boats.

no...I have had several that a warning comes up, but you cancel that out and everything but the MMSI features work.

Ours works but it says the DSC distress signal/calling can’t be used without MMSI. We don’t have a number yet.

Yes, a friend had a new radio last summer did not display some functions like Lat Lon after we hooked up the interface. He did not have an MMSI number yet. After he got it and programmed the radio, the L/L showed up. I cant remember the brand.

Back
Top Bottom